Thread: Sketchup to VCarve Pro

Sketchup to VCarve Pro

I was wondering if anyone had experience with getting sketchup drawings to Vcarve pro. I want to be able to draw a board in 2d or 3D with the Dados and rabbits and have that board and joints brought over to Vcarve Pro. Right now when I do this it takes the boards and joints and separates them.

I have figured out I can bring 2 different files in to vcarve pro. One for the outline of the board, and one for the joints, but that is a few extra steps I would like to get rid of.

Thanks Mike
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

You cant draw the sheet in SU and then bring it straight into Vcarve the way I think you want to unless you export the object as an STL and bring it into Vcarve as a 3D object which would be terribly inefficient. You need to draw the geometry in 2D in SU then import that geometry into Vcarve as vectors and apply the appropriate tool paths to given vectors.

Additionally, If you draw your geometry in 2D in SU and you have several different vectors (dado/rebbate/holes) within the same component (board or sheet) you can keep all those vectors together using the double underscore option in the import.

Additional info** I dont know if youve watched it but there is a tutorial specifically on the SU import on the vectric site. If you google Sketchup Vectric Import I think they should be the top two video hits. They go over the process of keeping your different vectors within a component with the double underscore and using layers be able to quickly toolpath in Vcarve.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-21-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: additional info