Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a minimax s45. Few questions

Got a minimax s45. Few questions

I've been after a smaller saw for awhile now, well this one fell right into my lap for cheap. (450)
    Question. What blade size?
    Also. Is there anything else I should know. This is my first scmi product
    Thanks.

Blade size is 144". S45 is a very well made saw, smooth, quiet and powerful. The only issue I had with mine (and I think this is common) is the magnetic starter switch is flaky and can fail. I replaced mine twice, but then again I've had it for about 20 years. Enjoy.

Len

Hopefully you received a miter gauge with it. As it's European (Italian specifically), its a 6x12mm slot, pretty small by US standards. I finally had to make my own by ordering a flat piece of mild steel from McMaster Carr in mm to fit and then drilled and tapped to mate another miter top to it. Works fine. Other than that, really like the BS. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Hopefully you received a miter gauge with it. As it's European (Italian specifically), its a 6x12mm slot, pretty small by US standards. I finally had to make my own by ordering a flat piece of mild steel from McMaster Carr in mm to fit and then drilled and tapped to mate another miter top to it. Works fine. Other than that, really like the BS. Randy
    Exactly what Im having to do with my Hammer N4400 to get a miter gauge for it. Pain, but these are very nice saws and its worth the trouble to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    Question. What blade size?

Were you asking band length like Len answered or were you asking for suggestions about blade width and gauge, I assume the former but if it is the latter let us know.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks guys.
    Van. Yea I would be interested in what info u have on what blades are best. Primary use is bowl blanks mostly.

I have had good luck with either a 3/8" 4tpi or 1/2" 3tpi blade for cutting bowl blanks. There is also at least one manufacturer that makes a blade specifically for green wood, if your bowl blanks are still wet when you cut them. I can't remember the brand, but Van has recommended them in the past.

--Geoff

My magnetic starter on my S-45 is flaky tool I think it is an AEG?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Blade size is 144". S45 is a very well made saw, smooth, quiet and powerful. The only issue I had with mine (and I think this is common) is the magnetic starter switch is flaky and can fail. I replaced mine twice, but then again I've had it for about 20 years. Enjoy.

Len

I have the s45 as well. I use 143" blades.

Thanks guys.

Van. Yea I would be interested in what info u have on what blades are best. Primary use is bowl blanks mostly.
    OK I am not a turner but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night... more like I listen to turners.

The biggest issue with green bowl blank cutting is enough set to clear the wet/stringy swarf. Highland woodworking sells a "turners blade" it is 3/8" and has a lot of set, for a carbon blade this would be my choice you can find plenty of blades that work, this one just has a LOT of set. If you want a longer lasting blade and are willing to pay for bi-metal I suggest the Lenox Diemaster 1/2" 4 tpi hook blade, I would have never recommended it BUT several turners here and ones I know use it and several of these turn for a living so I feel good suggesting it. The Diemaster will last longer than 7 or 8 carbon blades making it much more economical and has a reduced chance of ruining it if it hits some hidden metal but it is NOT indestructible while it can cut stainless and alloy steels all day long it can't do it a woodworking bandsaw speeds so it is still vulnerable but just not nearly as vulnerable as a carbon blade.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think the fence system w this saw is very lacking. Can any aftermarket systems be recommended

I think the fence system w this saw is very lacking. Can any aftermarket systems be recommended
    Picture of the fence or what color is the saw green, yellow or cream/white. If cream/white does it saw Minimax S45 on the bottom door or is the S45 designation on the top door?

PS go ahead and measure the table front to back and side to side also.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Van. It's the cream white. And it's on the top door I believe.

Van. It's the cream white. And it's on the top door I believe.
    If it has the S45n designation on the top door it is the newest version with the roughly 4" tall complex aluminum extrusion fence which isn't bad. You might use it and see what you think. You might be able to find a Grizzly that fits or you could always add a Laguna Driftmaster which I really like but it isn't cheap. Most of the aftermarket fences are designed for the cast 14" Delta and their clones.

Sam, I have a yellow s45, not the s45n, so don't know if that matters, but soon after I got it, I added a very nice fence designed and sold by Mark Duginske (who wrote a book on using bandsaws). Mark sold the design to Kreg Tools, who made a few tweaks, but still sell the fence. https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/s...and-saw-fence/

As to the magnetic switch, yes, it is an AEG. I got my replacement from Minimax (not cheap!!). It is 6.3-10 amps, E-Nr. 910-201-209-000. Ref. No. 254256. The person at Minimax who helped me with this is Martin Ranta, mranta@scmgroup.com.

Hope this helps.

Len