Thread: Popple Burl

Popple Burl

Got this Popple burl from a friend Asking me to do a bowl, Wanted to leave as natural as possible. Was not expecting a whole lot. But the figure Was great! Want to keep this myself but He wants it. Sorry the photos are not that good but a Photographer I am not. The white mark on the inside is just poor lighting not a mark on the wood. First big bowl off the new Nova Galaxy. Love the lathe. Wish I did not wait so long to get it. Bowl measures about 12 inches diameter and about 5-1/2 inches tall.
    unnamed.jpgunnamed3).jpg
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

What kind of wood is Popple? (Poplar?)
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

You did a great job on bringing out everything that chunk of wood had to offer! I can see why your friend wants it! Nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yes in the UP of Michigan we call it popple as well. It grow like weeds and is used for OSB, plywood and paper pulp. When you cut down one tree many saplings come up from it's roots. The young sapling serve as food for the deer as well, they love the buds. The DNR encourages landowners to manage their forest to increase the deer herd.

OK - poplar - popple, I get it. Very nice job on that bowl. I've never seen Popple pop like that - awesome.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    OK - poplar - popple, I get it. Very nice job on that bowl. I've never seen Popple pop like that - awesome.
    I really appreciate it when people use the name popple rather than poplar to distinguish true popular (populus spp.) from yellow/tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), it eliminates confusion between the two entirely types of wood!

This article from the Wood Database might be interesting: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...en-whats-what/

Wonderful figure in that piece!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I really appreciate it when people use the name popple rather than poplar to distinguish true popular (populus spp.) from yellow/tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), it eliminates confusion between the two entirely types of wood!
    JKJ
    Yes, they're very different. The Popple burl is too hard, the Mommle burl is too soft, and the babypple....Oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cal thelen View Post
    Got this Popple burl from a friend Asking me to do a bowl, Wanted to leave as natural as possible. Was not expecting a whole lot. But the figure Was great! Want to keep this myself but He wants it. Sorry the photos are not that good but a Photographer I am not. The white mark on the inside is just poor lighting not a mark on the wood. First big bowl off the new Nova Galaxy. Love the lathe. Wish I did not wait so long to get it. Bowl measures about 12 inches diameter and about 5-1/2 inches tall.
    unnamed.jpgunnamed3).jpg
    You sure got that color come up nicely Cal, I have turned some Aspen, being included by what the pulpwood cutters and haulers call Popple, as there are some 25 or so closely related species that hardly anyone knows, especially as they deal with just the logs,
    Why it's called Popple.jpg

I have these trees growing right on my property, they are interesting trees and believed to be the largest plants on this earth.

Aspen or Popple.jpg

I cut about 20 that were growing on the west side of my property, not large but very tall trees they gave too much shade so down they came, now I am mowing all the shoots that are coming up in my lawn, the ones away a bit shot up better than 4 feet in the first year, with very large leaves while the mature trees have pretty small leaves, though all have these long stems, making them wiggle in the least bit of wind.

Aspen leaves.jpg Also Aspen leaves.jpg

Of course Tulip trees are also called Poplar by the lumber people, is not a Poplar at all but a Magnolia species, as if one looks at the leaves or flowers or seed cones it would be very apparent.
    my tulip tree.jpg

Where the Popple grows and Tulip trees does overlap a bit, popple/Aspen does not like the heat but grows best in the cooler areas and is very cold hardy, whereas the Tulip tree is not very cold hardy at all.
    where they grow.jpg

An Aspen turning I made.
    Wormy Aspen.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-20-2017 at 2:32 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What kind of wood is Popple? (Poplar?)
    Mark, Popple is not one tree, but the common name for all the Willow relatives, with soft white wood, like Quaking or Trembling Aspen, Cotton wood and Big tooth Aspen, Balm Poplar, so Polar and Aspen and Cottonwoods are all included into this name.

As I said they have white wood, some people call the Tulip tree a Poplar, but it isn’t a Poplar at all, but a Magnolia species and it has this yellow and greenish wood, not the White wood the Poplar Aspen and Cottonwood trees have, HTH
    Have fun and take care