Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool domino for a hand tooler?

The reason to use mortice-and-tenon joinery is because (1) it is traditional and you prefer to do things traditionally, (2) the design and size of the joint is up to up you, and this will result in the ideal joinery, which will maximise strength, and (3) the joint is more likely to be reversed more easily in spite of the fact that one can use hide glue with either.

Domino are not just quick and easy, but they are also efficient and strong enough given the joinery needs. For example, the kitchen doors that are my current focus will have a life of, say, 20 years - not because they are built any less strongly than furniture built for 200 years, but because fashion will dictate otherwise. To M&T 20+ doors and drawer fronts (Shaker style) would take a lot, lot longer that to Domino. The end result is the same in looks and strength .... actually, it is easier to get a perfect and repeatable result with the Domino, since the joints are simple butt joints. The Domino is geared to power tools use.

I think that the hand tool worker's dislike if the Domino is more likely to come from the thought that it is too easy, and that it is cheating ... that good joinery is a skill, and that skill takes time to learn ... that skill is part of the learning curve, and is a badge of honour. Using a Domino is like jumping the line. Even a beginner can achieve perfect joints. That is unfair!

I do not plan on using a Domino for the furniture I built for the reasons I outlined above. Nevertheless, I want to feel I am beyond the pettiness of "right and wrong" - I do not believe that there is any such thing. Hand tools are not religion, and building furniture uses a great many skills and tools. The best builders design the piece first and then find a way to construct it. One will be limited in scope if you only consider handtools for all tasks (unless all you plan to do is recreacte the past, which is reasonable as well).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I am a blended woodworker. For furniture I am building, I would the do the joinery all by hand. For utilitarian (but still strong and looking good) projects (such as a laundry room cabinet), I would use my Domino. For me it depends upon the project, use and how much time I wish to devote to it. Like Derek, I don't think there is a right or wrong.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Building a large kitchen right now of beaded face frames and beaded shaker style doors.

I'm cutting the haunch with a Kreg bit on my router table. Then using my slot mortiser and home made tennons to connect everything.

Works like a charm. However i have found myself wishing for a Domino, it would be much quicker. The slot mortiser is plenty fast but it has a small group table. Being able to take the tool to the work sounds like a dream when trying to make a living. The domino would also make attaching the face frames 123 not fastners needed.

If i purchased a tool everytime i had a need for one i would be broke broke broke. Oh yeah i am broke and i practice and give into restraint constantly.

For non work related personal projects i might use the slot mortiser then hand cut my tenon. Often i find hand tools eadier than machines. Sometimes the time required to setup a machine for a function can be a project itself. The Domino i would say kiboshes this component of machine woodworking..