Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing an overarm guard on a Table Saw

Do the guards talked about in this thread differ from the Delta Uniguard with regards to effectiveness? The Uniguard mounts on the saw and seems less cumbersome than something freestanding.

Hi Steve, looks like the Uniguard is an overarm guard, however it doesn't look like it has dust collection, something you would want in a guard.

It looks like it mounts to the saw, just like my Excelsior guard does.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Steve, looks like the Uniguard is an overarm guard, however it doesn't look like it has dust collection, something you would want in a guard.

It looks like it mounts to the saw, just like my Excelsior guard does.........Rod.

I can't find the Excelsior guard to purchase. Is this a good alternative?
    http://thesharkguard.com/SGK1%20PICS...0splitsmed.JPG

Very nice installation, Rod!

Can I ask why you decided to replace the stock guard? It looks like this one might "roll up" the front edge of the workpiece more elegantly, but I'm curious what your reasons were.

Turns out I have most of the parts needed to make the Shark Guard. A Biesemeyer splitter mount, 3 splitters, adjustable clamp and pawls were included in the used Jet cabinet saw I purchased a while back. Looks like all I need is the shroud itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Turns out I have most of the parts needed to make the Shark Guard. A Biesemeyer splitter mount, 3 splitters, adjustable clamp and pawls were included in the used Jet cabinet saw I purchased a while back. Looks like all I need is the shroud itself.
    It's not at all hard to do. When I made mine, I did it out of Lexan, exactly the size that I wanted and never had any problem with it. Unfortunately in my new shop, my ceiling-mounted guard can't be used anymore, I have to figure out what modifications I need to make to get it to fit.

Do the guards talked about in this thread differ from the Delta Uniguard with regards to effectiveness? The Uniguard mounts on the saw and seems less cumbersome than something freestanding.
    The UniGuard is a well designed overarm guard, but doesn't have native dust collection capability and it installs in a way that makes it "fixed" in position...meaning you can't move it when you need to run something tall through the saw. I did construct a dust collection hood for one many, many years ago out of 1/4" Lexan, but that didn't solve the positioning problem. That's why I opted for the Excallibur for that particular saw when one became available to me. Native dust collection and easier to get out of the way when it was absolutely necessary to do so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Very nice installation, Rod!

Can I ask why you decided to replace the stock guard? It looks like this one might "roll up" the front edge of the workpiece more elegantly, but I'm curious what your reasons were.
    Hi Dan, the only issue I had with the Felder "Euro-guard" was that it was riving knife mounted so I couldn't use it for non through cuts.

Felder provide overarm guards for their more expensive machines, just not for the low priced ones................Rod.

I can't find the Excelsior guard to purchase. Is this a good alternative?
    http://thesharkguard.com/SGK1%20PICS...0splitsmed.JPG
    Hi Steve, it has the same issue my original guard has, being splitter mounted it can't be used for non through cuts.............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I've had the Exaktor guard for 15 years. I am satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dan, the only issue I had with the Felder "Euro-guard" was that it was riving knife mounted so I couldn't use it for non through cuts.
    The same is true for my MiniMax Slider...so I bought a second riving knife for a reasonable sum and ground off the top so it would be short enough to not eclipse the height of the 10" saw blades I'm using on my 12" capable saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Excalibur products are marketed by General International now. Here is a link http://general.ca/products/2_excalibur/50-EXBC.html It looks like they have a 10" and 14" version, as well as a ceiling mounted version.

Per General's customer support, they are no longer manufacturing the Excalibur guard due to a dispute with the factory. No idea if/when they'll be available again.

Resurrecting this thread - was looking into the Shark Guard today and the new design fits the Hammer K3 (so presumably would also fit other Hammer/Felder models), has a riving knife that permits non-through cuts as the knife is lower than the top of the blade, and you can order with a dust port up to 4 inches in diameter - which should be enough to ensure short offcuts go flying into the DC :-) Of course you would have to take the guard off for non-through cuts so not effective as the Excalibur/King approach. Cost seems to be around $230 and a longer version which covers the scoring blade can also be ordered

Rod, is there a reason why you are not running the dust collection through the yellow mounting tubes?

Len