Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing an overarm guard on a Table Saw

Installing an overarm guard on a Table Saw

I purchased a King Model 1014 Excelsior Blade Cover which covers saws from 10" to 14" diameter blades. I need a 14" guard for my saw, although it only uses a maximum of a 12" blade, the extra length is required to cover the scoring saw.

The Excelsior guard is meant for a table saw with a rip capacity up to 52 inches, which makes it too large for my saw. So after buying a $450 dollar guard, the obvious thing to do is to take it apart and start sawing up the pieces.

I cut 220mm from the outer tube and 280mm from the inner tube and de-burred the edges with a file.

Cutting the exterior tube.jpgCutting the inner tube.jpg

Next up, mounting the guard to the saw.............Rod.

After cutting the arm components to length and re-assembling them, it's time to attach the mounting bracket to your saw table. The instructions that come with the guard don't apply to sliding saw as the blade is much closer to the front of the cabinet than on a traditional saw.

I mounted the bracket to the saw with C clamps to check position, and then marked the saw for drilling. One item to note is the large black pin that the arm mounts to, should be below the table for a sliding saw so it doesn't interfere with cross cuts. This is not true of conventional saws as the bracket is mounted near the rear edge of the saw table.

The bracket also has on a conventional saw, two tension straps that tie the guard bracket to the saw body, this provides counter-torque to balance the arm moment. On my saw I had to cut the bracket, and only needed one.

That's it for the modification and installation of the guard on a small saw. It's almost identical to the installation I did years ago on my General 650. It will be nice to have a guard for non through cuts again.

This guard is very easy to use, and a single locking knob allows the entire arm and guard to swing away for blade changes which is useful on a contractor or cabinet saw. On my saw it will be useful when I want to use the shaper.

Next up, a couple of views of the blade cover, including the scoring saw. This is why I needed a guard for 14" blades, once you add the scoring saw, there's a long area to be guarded. I've ordered the riving knife for my saw from Hammer, it doesn't project above the blade so it can remain installed for non through cuts, improving my safety.....Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a great addition, Rod - very neatly done

Rod,

I googled around looking for one of these but just could not find it. Can you point me to where you got it? Also, why did you choose this guard over others (e.g. Excalibur)?

Thanks.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Rod,

I googled around looking for one of these but just could not find it. Can you point me to where you got it? Also, why did you choose this guard over others (e.g. Excalibur)?

Thanks.

-Brian
    Hi Brian, it is the old Excalibur guard, I guess King now sell it in Canada.............Regards, Rod.

Since you are in the US just get it from Grizzly, they import the same guard and have for years. Of note it is on their website BUT not in the 2017 catalog so it MAY be on the way out so if you need one you might want to jump on it. It is about $350 shipped.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Brian, it is the old Excalibur guard, I guess King now sell it in Canada.............Regards, Rod.
    I was wondering about that name thing, too...I had an Excalibur guard for the Jet cabinet saw I used to own and that looks like an updated version of the same. Very nice guard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Van,

I just spent a while searching for it - neither Google nor Grizzly show anything by the name Excalibur on Grizzly's site. I searched for the model number (#50-EXBC14) in various ways and any outlet that lists it says it is no longer available. I may give Grizzly a call today.

The only comparable thing I see online is the Exaktor blade guard which looks somewhat similar to the Excelsior / Excalibur, but more expensive at $499.

Maybe I'll take the family to Canada this summer...

-Brian

Brian, the guard is marked Excelsior, perhaps you can find it under that name?

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I was wondering about that name thing, too...I had an Excalibur guard for the Jet cabinet saw I used to own and that looks like an updated version of the same. Very nice guard.
    IM000825.jpg

Like this one Jim?

That's the original guard on my old general 650 cabinet saw............Rod.

The Excalibur guard was later updated so that the tube looks like the Excelsior pictured, however the Excalibur still has an older style steel/clear guard basket. That Excelsior looks to be an upgrade, with a clear guard basket that looks like one that Grizzly uses. I have a new-style Excalibur with a Shark Guard basket, but that Excelsior looks really nice also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Van,

I just spent a while searching for it - neither Google nor Grizzly show anything by the name Excalibur on Grizzly's site. I searched for the model number (#50-EXBC14) in various ways and any outlet that lists it says it is no longer available. I may give Grizzly a call today.

The only comparable thing I see online is the Exaktor blade guard which looks somewhat similar to the Excelsior / Excalibur, but more expensive at $499.

Maybe I'll take the family to Canada this summer...

-Brian
    Excaliber is the General International name, here is the Grizzly which as noted has a different blade guard from the Excaliber but exactly the same as the King Rod posted.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Univ...le-Saws/T10113
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks, Van and Greg. I didn't really look at the Grizzly because the main picture made it look significantly different from the Excelsior and the Excalibur. No that you pointed it out and I have looked more closely, I see that they are very similar.

Thanks for posting.

I have an Excalibur that looks just like that waiting patiently for installation. Maybe I'm inspired now. It should also add some color to my wood and steel decorating scheme.

JKJ

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...ies-cxarm.html

You can get it from Canada. With the strong US$, 365 CAD is only about 275 US$