Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp 3000 question

Worksharp 3000 question

I have seen multiple threads about this machine but I have a specific question. I tried everything but I have not able to get a super sharp edge using the port. I really like the ideas of convenience and speed but the results are not there (yet?)
    I am now thinking about buying a Veritas MK II, building a platform, flush with the disc, and trying again. This way, if I decide to give up on this machine, I still have a great honing guide.

Did anybody get much better results using the top? Should I buy higher grits than the ones provided with the machine?

Thanks!

What you're describing is essentially the Worksharp Wide Blade Attachment, which includes a platform flush with the top of the disk and a honing jig. You ask about finer grits of sandpaper. What's the finest grit that comes with the machine? I bought mine from a friend and it had a couple of grits of Micromesh, which seems to be fine enough for the chisels and plane irons that I sharpen.

--Geoff

In my opinion, the value of the WorkSharp is to establish the primary bevel. Then you go to water stones and put a secondary bevel on the blade. I use it - with a diamond plate - to put a 25 degree primary bevel on my tools. Then I use an 8000 Shapton stone to put a 30 (or so) degree secondary bevel on the blade. Works great and gives me an edge that I could shave with.

This way, I only need one grit diamond plate on the WorkSharp so I'm not changing things all the time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    What you're describing is essentially the Worksharp Wide Blade Attachment, which includes a platform flush with the top of the disk and a honing jig.
    Yes, it is the wide blade attachment, only that I prefer to spend the same amount on the MK II and build a platform, because the MK II can be used with waterstones.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    What's the finest grit that comes with the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    In my opinion, the value of the WorkSharp is to establish the primary bevel. Then you go to water stones and put a secondary bevel on the blade. I use it - with a diamond plate - to put a 25 degree primary bevel on my tools. Then I use an 8000 Shapton stone to put a 30 (or so) degree secondary bevel on the blade. W
    So do you only use the 8000 grit waterstone or other grits as well?

Build a platform for the WS and use that. You can even use a honing guide with the platform and forget the port.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    So do you only use the 8000 grit waterstone or other grits as well?
    When I use the WorkSharp, I go directly to the 8000 grit stone. The secondary bevel is quite small so the 8000 stone can create it very quickly. I freehand on the water stone but you could use a jig if you wanted to.

I do have other water stones but only use them for non-WorkSharp started sharpening.

Mike

[I will also say that I settled on the WorkSharp and the 8000 stone after a long journey of sharpening. I tried practically every sharpening technique there is. I tried the Tormek (wet, messy, slow, very expensive), scary sharp (sandpaper on glass or granite), different kinds of water stones, and I don't know what else. The combination of a WorkSharp with a diamond plate and finishing on a water stone is fast and relatively inexpensive. It was the best I could find.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-19-2017 at 2:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've had good luck getting a sharp edge with the port for chisels and narrow plane blades. I think my machine came with micromesh down to 6000 grit, and I use that final grit to add the secondary bevel as well (requires a light touch). Right off the machine it will shave hairs off my arm, but I follow up with a strop as the final step.

I did have to adjust the port to make the edge square, but otherwise I've really had no issues with the WS3000 except with very narrow chisels (i.e., 1/8 inch). I can sharpen the narrow ones with the port, but it's not 100% fool-proof.

--Dan

I may get shouted at, but I don't like the Veritas Mk II. Had problems with the first one and Lee Valley sent me a second one, but it still won't clamp securely enough to hold the blade square. After I got the Worksharp 3000, I added their wide blade platform to it, which includes a basic honing guide. I like that honing guide better than the Mk II, and use it all the time now.

Love Lee Valley and their service, just not the Mk II.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I may get shouted at, but I don't like the Veritas Mk II. Had problems with the first one and Lee Valley sent me a second one, but it still won't clamp securely enough to hold the blade square. After I got the Worksharp 3000, I added their wide blade platform to it, which includes a basic honing guide. I like that honing guide better than the Mk II, and use it all the time now.

Love Lee Valley and their service, just not the Mk II.
    I don't know if you're referring to holding narrow chisels but LV came out with a narrow blade holder for the MKII. Don't know how good it is.

Problems with holding narrow chisels square was one of my complaints about the jig, also.

Mike

I use the MKII full kit with DMT and Shaptons and have had zero issues with it holding narrow chisels securely or square

I disliked the port on my two Worksharps. I found them to never align well. Going over the top with a platform and guide fixed that for me. Also, it allows you to do plane blades. Like Mike, I use mine for grinding, and stones for honing.

I will say that it took some effort to get my port adjusted so that it grinds square across.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't know if you're referring to holding narrow chisels but LV came out with a narrow blade holder for the MKII. Don't know how good it is.

Problems with holding narrow chisels square was one of my complaints about the jig, also.

Mike
    No, Mike, the problem was with the blade on the LA block plane. It would sharpen the primary bevel reasonably square, but when I would turn the knob to 6 o'clock for the scondary bevel, it would not sharpen that bevel in square. Go back to 12 o'clock and it would go back to square. I even took pictures of the problem and sent them to LV. They agreed there was something wrong and sent me a new guide. Like I said, the new one is better, but still not right. I finally just got tired of messihg with it, especially since the Worksharp guide is working fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I disliked the port on my two Worksharps. I found them to never align well. Going over the top with a platform and guide fixed that for me. Also, it allows you to do plane blades. Like Mike, I use mine for grinding, and stones for honing.
    So it sounds like there's no way to avoid the stones.... even if you use the top...