Thread: A few interesting handtools

Blog Entries

A few interesting handtools

Helping my son tear out a hardwood floor. His buddy is planning on reusing the flooring in a off-the-grid cabin to cover up the 17 year old OSB floor. (it was built by a prepper thinking all would end at Y2K remember that?)

He donated two Crescent adjustable prybars to the cause. It is as if they were made specifically for tearing up old flooring. Worked awesomely. And he showed up with a very cool all steel 1 1/4" chisel. Can any of you ID that tool? Hint, it is stainless steel. And my favorite Bostitch hammer.

I am sure that if you weren't trying to salvage the floor, some bigger stand-up rippers would have been faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I'll jump in, I'd be willing to bet the first owner of that chisel was an orthopedic surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I'll jump in, I'd be willing to bet the first owner of that chisel was an orthopedic surgeon.
    That is my guess as well. I used to repair surgical instruments and many of the bone cutting tools look surprisingly similar to woodworking tools, except that they are all stainless steel. It probably cost the hospital around $500 or more when it was first purchased.

Steve

Blog Entries
    +1 on it being a surgical tool.

I do have an all steel wood chisel made by Crescent.

Here is a catalog description:

Crescent Chisel.png

Mine is a bit more beat up than the one in the picture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Is this the same Crescent Co. that made my 32" Band Saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    That is my guess as well. I used to repair surgical instruments and many of the bone cutting tools look surprisingly similar to woodworking tools, except that they are all stainless steel. It probably cost the hospital around $500 or more when it was first purchased.

Steve
    ok, so completely grossed out now.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Blog Entries
    Yep, it is a bone chisel. Kind of freaked me out thinking about actually using it on a live human bone. Buddy is a biomed engineer or something like that and repairs hospital equipment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Is this the same Crescent Co. that made my 32" Band Saw?
    Same as the one that makes Crescent wrenches. Not sure about the BS link.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I was going to guess a bone chisel then I read all the responses! I have a box of surgical tools. A friend gave me some (includes chisels, torque wrenches, interesting things with handles) and I bought a bunch at the local metal recycler at steel scrap prices (forceps, tweezers, gold-plated hemostats, long tiny scalpels, small hammers, scissors with tiny blades probably for nerve or eye surgery, far more.) The scalpels were maybe 10-12" long with a tiny blade on one end and obviously unused - can't imagine what the original cost was.

I gave some to fellow tinkerers, a vet and to vet student friends for dissections. (We dissected a young peacock on Monday.) The hemostats and specialized tweezers are great in the shop, as is some new surgical wire and rod.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I ordered a Bone Chisel like that to make into a kerf chisel for blind dovetails. Worked great. Might have cost 25 dollars.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I ordered a Bone Chisel like that to make into a kerf chisel for blind dovetails. Worked great. Might have cost 25 dollars.
    Just the combination of the words "bone" and "chisel" make my stomach quiver.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.