Thread: Distressing edges of raw wood with sander

Distressing edges of raw wood with sander

Hi again, all.

I've been working on a dining table for the past few weeks that is based on the farmhouse style. It's made of 2x6 SPF (construction) lumber that I first jointed, planed, and ripped to make life easier. I used a hammer, some nails, screwdriver, etc to distress the raw wood, and while sanding using my ROS I distressed the edges by flattening them out, rounding them over, and over sanding in a few spots with the initial 80 grit paper. I tried to make sure after that I re-sanded the areas with the grain, and proceeded to 120/150 and a pass of 220 over the entire project.

Will using the power sander to work these edges cause problems with the finish? I plan to condition and dye (General Finishes), then shellac, stain, and poly. A little "character" or deviation in the finish is OK (it should look a little 'rustic') but I'm starting to get worried after looking around online that using the power sander to distress the edges may have been a big no-no.

Did I commit a sin against wood-kind?

Not at all. Unless you are using a plane or scraper to get your "final" surface treatment, your sanding sequence is fairly typical.