Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Sander Conundrum

Belt Sander Conundrum

I've been looking for a belt sander, but I'm perplexed. See, I have a really nice 12" Jet disc sander, but there are times when a belt sander would be really nice. However, I have found that very few manufacturers make a machine that is JUST a belt sander. Nearly all are combo machines. Most of the ones that are available are over $1000, although there are a couple that are around $800. That is significantly more than many of the combo machines. I'm curious as to why this is. I really don't need a combo machine, but I think I may end up with one. Any suggestions on machines? A company called Kalamazoo looks to have some of the least expensive models I have seen, but I don't know anything about them. Then there is Grizzly, they sell a 6" x 80" Edge sander for less than $700
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I had a combo disk/belt sander--never used the disk and the belt was most always too small. Got the Griz 6x80 edges sander and use it all the time. I plan to upgrade to a larger oscillating edge sander at some point. Larger platen needed frequently and oscillating may help preserve belts.

I have a Rikon disk belt sander combo cost me around $400 10 yrs ago
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Id suggest foregoing the vertical belt sander and consider going with an oscillating edge sander.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    I had a combo disk/belt sander--never used the disk and the belt was most always too small. Got the Griz 6x80 edges sander and use it all the time. I plan to upgrade to a larger oscillating edge sander at some point. Larger platen needed frequently and oscillating may help preserve belts.
    Which model do you have? It looks like they have 3, although really 2 because one is just with & without the stand. One with adjustable cast iron tables and one with a wooden wrap-around table.

Stew Hagerty

I bought a Powermatic non-oscillating edge sander (89 inch belts) about 4 years ago. It is the same as the Jet machine, just a different color. I got it for $400 off craigslist. I've modified the table so that it is at a slant to the belt allowing for longer belt life. At some point I'll put a 3 phase motor and VFD to get variable speed. I have variable speed on my combo disc/belt sander and love it.
    Wood'N'Scout

I find an edge sander is far more useful than a combo sander for woodwork. I also would try to avoid the non-oscillating ones unless the table tilts and you move your stock. Jet has the least expensive oscillating edge sander at ~1,000 and they go up from there.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    ... but there are times when a belt sander would be really nice.
    You bet your sweet bippy there are.

I wanted to buy the Griz (5 years ago) but it was on backorder. I needed one right away so I bought the Jet. Very happy even though the Griz has a crank for the table and the Jet doesn't. Not really a deal breaker for me.

The minute you start using it, your head fills with ideas for other uses. But be careful, it's extremely powerful. Use it like a grinder- don't hold an angled piece leading into the rotation, hold it the other way.

If you think it might be useful, you have no idea.

Blog Entries
    My 30 YO 6x48 Craftsman belt sander started out as a combo, but the disc was cheezy so I removed it. Juiced it with a 1 hp TEFC motor when I was dealing with a lot of aluminum. 6x48 belts are easy to find, and the machine doesn't take up a lot of space. I made a platen at 90 degrees for edge sanding, not as good as a dedicated edge sander by a long shot. Handy start/stop switch right next to the blast gate makes it easy to use. Did you look at the G1014Z? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Comb...ce=grizzly.com Looks to be a much better machine than my old Crapsman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-20-2017 at 9:00 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Hi Stew,
    I have the 1140, same as the 1531 mechanically but on a stand. The 0512 is also similar mechanically but the idler roller is smaller diameter and it has the wrap around table. Not sure if there is a full platen on the back side tho. I like the 1140--easy table adjustment for both angle and height but the platen is shorter than I frequently need. I find the end roller works well for inside curves but I also have the Griz oscillating spindle sander and use the edge sander for more aggressive, rapid stock removal on curves and finish on the spindle sander. If reasonable for you I recommend stepping up to the oscillating edge sander. IIRC the osc. is only 3/4" but that would help keep the belts from clogging as easily. They can last a long time if you use the big "eraser" frequently. I've seen the Griz sanders at their showroom and they are nice machines. Good luck.

Is the Jet sale over? Their 6x89 is about the least expensive oscillating sander while on sale. I'd probably wait till the next sale if it is over.

I'm in the edge sander camp. I have a (non oscillating) 132" Acme with a 50" table that will be last woodworking machine I'll sell. After I got it and a decent spindle sander (one of the big CI Grizzlies), I sold my belt/disk sander. I don't find the lack of oscillation a problem because, as mentioned upthread, you can angle the table and move the stock back and forth on the table and get the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My 30 YO 6x48 Craftsman belt sander started out as a combo, but the disc was cheezy so I removed it. Juiced it with a 1 hp TEFC motor when I was dealing with a lot of aluminum. 6x48 belts are easy to find, and the machine doesn't take up a lot of space. I made a platen at 90 degrees for edge sanding, not as good as a dedicated edge sander by a long shot. Handy start/stop switch right next to the blast gate makes it easy to use. Did you look at the G1014Z? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Comb...ce=grizzly.com Looks to be a much better machine than my old Crapsman.
    That Grizzly combo unit looks to be the same as the Harbor Freight one doesn't it?

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Is the Jet sale over? Their 6x89 is about the least expensive oscillating sander while on sale. I'd probably wait till the next sale if it is over.
    They don't appear to be on sale. Do you remember what the sale price was?

Stew Hagerty

The verts can be real workhorses in certain applications.Ours are generally more for metal.But can use for wood for things that can't be done on edge sanders.The slack side is more convenient on verts.

Non oscillating is my choice on edge models.Lots of neat things can be done TO an edge model with fabrication skills.You can run a longer belt with small diameter "nose" rollers.Google images,some manufacturers don't even run rollers,instead use wooden fixed nose.We make our own rollers.The whole end or nose sanding on edge models is where most guys/shops drop the ball,in an under utilization.

Generally,the dust pickup...hood or hoody..is the week link in factory designs.They can be VASTLY improved on every edge model I've ever seen.Don't be afraid to experiment on hoody's.The verts are better here because of gravity and the table location.