Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shirt stuck in belt sander

Early in my career I sucked up the cargo shorts I was wearing. Very, very scary moment.

I was using my little 3x21 belt sander to strip a small area of floor over Christmas and ran over the cord and it caught between the drive roller and frame of the sander. The only way I found to get it out was to pull on it. It was very hard to get back out but I did it, and the sander is fine. A shirt is not likely to stand the force required but that would be OK. If it comes out in pieces, it would still be out. So I'd yank on the shirt, real hard. If that didn't work, I'd try cutting it out. One summer while I was in college I mowed overgrown lots for the city with a brush hog. Cement blocks did not stop the swinging blades but clothes lines did as did pantyhose (from trash bags thrown into the lot). I had to climb under the mower and cut them out. Not fun.

my Neighbour recently snow plowed my driveway early morning, didnt realize my newspaper was in the snow, said another neighbour helped him clean it up. both of them are in their 80's shes 85. I was routering years ago red green shirt on not tucked in. Spiral end mill 3" cutting hanging out, one of the times I set the router down the wind from the router pushed up under my shirt as I turned it to put it on a carpet on the bench, the shirt wrapped around the cutter and pulled the router into my stomach, fortunately it stalled the router, a 3HP porter cable. That one had good potential to be serious. After that made a stand to hold running routers so they didnt have to be turned on and off for some production stuff, that worked well close and convenient and safe. Jim done the same on my 3 x 21 Rockwell its a great machine and still have the original power cord. only repair on it the on and off switch replaced with a heavy duty one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    This is child's play, when I was in the Coast Guard someone flushed a skivvy shirt down the toilet and it got caught in the impeller of a sewage pump.
    I always tell guests not familiar with head usage, "if it didn't go in your mouth and out your ---, don't flush it!

Blog Entries
    I read the title and was expecting something more like this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?ipadtype...ient=mv-google

When I was a young engineer, this whole question of clothing/watches/bracelets getting caught in rotating machinery was the reason for the insistence that everyone wore what we then called a duster (but really wasn't), more like a long apron that came from just under the neck to below the knee along with a sort of sleeve garter that left the area between the palm and up on the forearm clear. Of course no rings/watches/etc. The idea was a smooth front, tie securely behind the apron bib and nothing to catch on the hands or arms.

Incidentally there was a female turner with rather long hair who was killed at the lathe when her hair became caught in a work piece. I asked a noted turner who shall be nameless about his long flowing beard and he said he had caught his beard but the hair was thin enough that he had not been pulled at all.

Blog Entries
    Yes, long hair is a serious thing when running drills. One place I worked for a while a lady who had long hair was grabbed and scalped. That is a major accident. She later died after they had done all they knew to do.

On a lighter note, this reminds me of the time my wife called me at work to say my RAS was making a lot of sparks. She had decided to make herself some simple drawers for her socks, and cut them out on the RAS, thinking that the steel carpenters square laying on the saw table was part of the fence. Sawed half way through it before she called me.

Yes, she did finish the drawers, and they worked fine for years. Matter of fact, so did the sawblade.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

All too common. Loose clothing has no place around power equipment. While in a college wood shop class, I saw a student get his sweat shirt wound up in a lathe. Luckily, it ripped it off before he was pulled in. When women wore dresses to work in the industrial plant that I worked at, a woman had her dress removed by a roller conveyor. When I was HR Mgr at the same plant, I had to arrange for post traumatic stress counseling for employees that had to help get an employees arm out of a roller conveyor. His shirt tail became wrapped around the roller and he reached down to free it and his hand became trapped in the cloth. His arm was wrapped around the roller with a severe compound fracture. Yes, we had rules against untucked shirts and loose clothing. No they weren't being followed. We finally insisted engineering make the first set of rollers on conveyors unpowered.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Well, some cutting and a little brute force and I was able to back out the shirt. The belt sander works, although there is a clicking noise when its in operation. I may open it up to take a look at the gears, belt etc.