Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Power Supply Material - what is it ?

Apple Power Supply Material - what is it ?

Hi to All.
    I have searched and cant find what material Apple power supplies are made from. I have to engrave 400 of them and would rather laser them but am concerned they might be pvc so will probably tool engrave them in batches.

Any info appreciated as always.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Blog Entries
    Chris....it might help if you told us what power supplies you were referring to. There are a fair number of types that Apple has produced and still has in production?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Test one- PVC turns a reddish brown when lasered.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It'll be ABS Chris but do a green flame PVC test on it first anyway

Thanks gents...

Sorry for lack of detail.

These are macbook air power supplies, see pic (of about half of them)attached...

I will shave a small piece and do the flame test, thanks for the info.

cheers,
    Chris

20170119_174147_resized.jpg
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I bet a fiber would engrave that material... probably pick up a cheap 20watt and still net a profit...
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Hi Bruce,

yes I probably should but we have a 300w fiber on the way for cutting stainless steel so the budget is already blown for a while.

if its pvc the fiber laser would still be unusable though i presume ?

Cheers,
    chris

This is what PVC looks like when you hit it with a C02 laser. I've lasered several colors of PVC, it always turns brown.
    pvc.jpg

This is the same picture, I just changed it to grayscale-- a fiber makes it gray like this--
    pvc2.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

More than likely those power supplies are either PC/ABS or PC, which are the most common types of plastics that Apple uses. If you have 1 that you can afford to scrap I would tear it apart and look inside, it should have the material molded on the inside of the parts.
    Ebay Shenhui 350 50 watt/RDWorksV8
    Taig CNC Mill
    Ordbot 3D Printer

Blog Entries
    Kev....is PVC safe to use in a fiber? If yes...how come?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Nope, and especially with the open style machines.

That pic I put up is one of 4 different styles of PVC trays I've engraved, lots of 'em. But even though I was able to, I would never recommend or advise anyone to laser engrave PVC....
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Its heating of the PVC and years ago they banned insulation on wires that was made from PVC. There was a major fire here in Des Moines 20 years ago or so in a commercial building, the 10 people died not from the fire but the fumes off burning PVC covered wires.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm fairly confident it's polycarbonate. If it is, you can laser it. I just did a bunch of police radios a few weeks ago and I found a couple of passes was better than one pass with a lot of power.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the confirmation Kev! I read that and thought...Whoa? What is different?
    Clarification much appreciated.

Bummer though. And here I was going to run out and buy miles of PVC piping and custom engrave people's sewer pipes!! Talk about an underserved market!!!!! Oh well. Missed out on pet rocks too! Sigh.

A fiber's wavelength just makes PVC gray instead of brown, not sure why. I've never done PVC with my fiber--when I first got the tray job, the customer brought me one THEY did on THEIR fiber. I guess they about gassed the place out.

Anyway, IF the parts in question ARE polycarb, a fiber would be ideal, with the right settings a fiber makes polycarb look exactly like it's engraved and painted with gloss black paint...
    lexan.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter