Thread: New Shop Air Compressor

New Shop Air Compressor

Finally made decision to get a larger air compressor to replace pancake unit in shop. I wanted something short enough to fit under my dust barrel, but run on 220V to avoid need for a dedicated 110v circuit for 2 hp motor. I ended up finding a 30 gal tank Industrial Air unit that shuts off at 155 psi and that give a good supply of air. I was pleased that the drain is on the bottom of the tank, but the little drain valve was right on the ground and next to impossible to reach and would have blown dust or sprayed drained water all over the place, so I removed it and used a street ell to add a ball valve and then the little drain valve which a piece of tubing fit and is shown in picture. So far, compressor was delivered by lift gate truck on pallet, no damage, add 2 inlet air filters, and 2 rubber pads, and compressor was ready to run. I did have to change the cord for 220V and also change the motor leads in the housing. Unit is a lot quitter than old pancake for sure and a lot better air source.Air Compressor.JPGAir Comp Drain.JPG

That's a big step up from the pancake, for sure, and should give you many years of faithful service. And now you have an easy means to keep it drained, too; I need to do that, too, one of these days.

John