Thread: Track saw guide clamps - spring or pistol grip?

Track saw guide clamps - spring or pistol grip?

What are your preferences?
    TIA
    Sincerely, Dave.

For my Festool track, I got the DeWalt clamps as they basically do the same job, fit and are cheaper. Having said that, I used them once to make sure they worked and have never needed to clamp the track as it just stays in place

I just ordered all three (including the screw kind) from the Festool line because I couldnt decide either. Figured Id try each out and decide and either use the ones I didnt use for the track saw elsewhere or sell them. Nice thing about Festool stuff, keep it in good condition and it holds its resale value very well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the Makita. The first few cuts after buying the saw, I didn't believe it would stay in place. I'm still surprised that the track really does stay in place. I'd vote no clamps needed.

I have 3 types for my Festool tracks and find myself using the screw clamps almost exclusively. The pistol grip comes in handy on occasion for end to end clamping, but the spring type clamps are most often used for non-track clamping. They all have their place.
    Dick Mahany.

I use cheap Home Depot spring clamps most often. I do have a pair of Festool C-clamps which I use occasionally. I bought them before the DeWalt ones came out. If I were to buy a pair today, I'd probably buy the DeWalt.

As mentioned in the other thread I have the Dewalts but rarely use them, the track stays where I out it for the tracksaw. I would probably use them for the router but I use the MFT with the swing down track so no issues with the track moving in that case.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use and prefer the original Festool guide screw clamps. They allow me to work with a stack of sheet goods under my cut piece. The pistol grip is in the shop and useful when for some reason you can only clamp one side BUT it does require some finesse. In my experience you need to hold it tight to the cut marks as you tighten or it will creep.

I very rarely do not clamp. Yes, it doesn't always need it but once I set the clamps I know that no matter the distraction - say a bound up vac hose or I run out of reach - the guide rail is where it needs to be. I really hate wasting time and material. Clamping takes little time and accuracy is priceless. That's just me
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use the Eurekazone tracks. The clamps tighten using a screw knob. Personally, I wouldn't risk the quality of my cuts by using the track without the security of a clamp. I'd be worried that a spring clamp clamp - or no clamp at all - would allow unwanted movement.

I've used Eurekazone's older style EZ Square (the current version adjusts to many angles), which makes fast 90 degree cuts without using a clamp (imagine a very long sliding miter saw that only does 90 degree cuts), and I've had no problems with the material moving.

I'm a new owner of a Eurekazone EZ-One - a track-based cutting table, and I guess it basically acts as a weight-based spring clamp, though the recommendation seems to be to use use the provided rail stops to trap the material being cut - so it simply cannot move.

Dewalt clamps are perfect.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Dewalt clamps are perfect.
    Never seen them before; they look great. I have one each of the Festools and they both lousy. If I used the tracks more than once in a while I would get the Dewalt clamps.