Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HELP! 8" Jointer Advice, Pick Your Favorite

Hey Scott, then there's thing about the kind of luck Eric has. If he scored a hardly used, dressed out DJ20 for a song, just think what he's likely to do on that BS when the time comes!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Talking

I made the final decision, I will soon be a DJ-20 owner! Yippie!

As I stated before, I already put a deposit down on the DJ-20, but I have been weighing everyone's input. Based on that input, I narrowed the choices down to my original option 1 (slightly used DJ-20) or option 3 (Grizzly G0500). However, when I added the cost of a mobile base and extra set of knives plus shipping to the cost of the Grizzly the total jumped to $911. Which means for less than $100 more than the Grizzly, I can have the DJ-20, and that made the choice easy.

I will say that if I did not "luck" upon this deal as John says that I would have decided on the Grizzly. I especially appreciate Bill Crofutt chiming in to let me know about the catalog error, and the fact that this jointer now has two one piece beds. I think this is a great deal on a great machine.

Now, if I can only find a used MM16 for lets say around $400 then I will be set.

I also appreciate everyone reminding me not to forget getting my wife something. It is nice to know that there are other guys out there who treasure their wives just as I do. She is truly a blessing to me.

Thanks again,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Eric,

Sounds like you made a decision you can sleep with. The DJ20 is a fine jointer.

Dennis,

In general I agree with you, my exception. If I need two tools but can afford one good one or two good ones for the same price, they both work and function as required flawlessly over the years, then I would rather go with two. Assuming I need both. If I need one, both want two, I may be willing to hold off on one til a time I can afford both. Heck, I want a Euro saw, need no, can afford no... so my cabinet saw will have to do. Could I not buy anything and wait till I can afford the euro sure, but then I wouldn't be able to build anything. It's all relative. As far as being able to build high quality stuff with or without DJ20 vs a G0586 or similar, if both are tuned right, no difference.

I don't think we would be having this question if the deal wasn't as sweet for the DJ20. If the question was I have $1k to spend and need a jointer and bandsaw, but I have a 6" jointer... I think the discussion may have been different. Either way, he still will have a 6" to get rid of. He may still be able to buy a BS with the proceeds or wait for a bigger BS or buy his wife a gift, but then again my saying is... I can build you things with my tools, and that is a gift itself...and a simple thanks for letting me have something I want.
    The difference between you and me Scott is I have no willpower!
    Dennis

Eric...
    Great choice on picking the DJ-20.

Now, that same auction which has put a sand burr under my saddle. How about a 36 inch bandsaw for #350 dollars? Please Stop.... Its Killing Me!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Who's got will power.... I just have no money. I get it, and if the wife doesn't catch me with it, then I spend it..... ain't that how it is suppose to be?

Heck, I just dropped all the money I made on a commish job for some Festool stuff before I got the check, that way she couldn't have it.

Now, if I could only find one of them DJ20 deals for $1000, I'd have some more Blue/Grey in the shop. Heck, I am no tool snob, I am a rainbow man. I got me some green, white, blue/grey, black, orange, yellow in my shop. I was hoping he'd forget where he left a deposit, made the mistake of telling me where he left his deposit and I could go pick it up.

Dang it didn't work. Dang nabbit!
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott, it scares me every time my wife comes into the shop. She starts eyeing everything trying to find out what is there that didn't used to be there!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Scott, it scares me every time my wife comes into the shop. She starts eyeing everything trying to find out what is there that didn't used to be there!

I start out preparing the LOML a while in advance by talking about what ever tool I'm dreaming of buying so by the time I'm in position financially to buy it she know that the purchase isn't far off. Then as I am planning ahead to the day I'll be going to which ever tool store I tell her that I maybe purchasing the tool, I do the same for things purchased by mail or brown that way she can enjoy the excitement with me when it arrives. Beside that sometimes she looks at the tool I am considering & asks a few questions & then says don't you think you should get the better tool, like she did when I was going to get the 1 1/2 HP DC & she said I think you should get the 2 HP DC & a Long Ranger remote. Right now I am considering a 23 gage pinner. I started talking about it 2 weeks ago & will probably buy it sometime with in the next 3 months right about when I'll be needing it. I am sure glad everyones wife is different. I figured out a long time ago that it was easier to be open & straight forward about what I wanted to purchase that way my wife doesn't have to be swmbo & can be the LOML.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen