Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 8" Jointer Advice, Pick Your Favorite

HELP! 8" Jointer Advice, Pick Your Favorite

Here is the situation. I just received a $1,000 bonus from work, and the better news is that SWMBO even agreed to let me spend it all on tools. HOORAY!

So, the quandry is exactly what to spend it on. I have narrowed it down to an 8" jointer or a large bandsaw. I currently have a Jet 6" jointer that works well, but it limits the size and length of stock I can accurately joint. I do not have any bandsaw.

Option 1: A local woodworker has a pristine Delta DJ-20 X5 series that is about a year old with light use. Since it is the X5 series is still has 4 years on the transferable warranty. Long warranties don't noramally sway my purchase decisions, but it is a nice to have. Along with the jointer he is including a brand new complete cutterhead assembly w/knives (retail $450), and Delta mobile base (retail $90). He will sell me everything for $1,000.

Option 2: Redmond Machinery has remanufactured DJ-20 jointers for $1,050. Salesman at Redmond said that they are essentially new units. Most of these units are returns due to box damage, missing parts, or delivery damaged parts that have been replaced. I will have to drive to Atalanta to pick up this unit which means I will have to pay Georgia sales tax ~ 6%. That puts the cost at $1,113, but I would still need to buy a mobile base and possibly an extra set of knives about $175. That would push the total cost to $1,288.

Option 3: I just received the Grizzly Holiday Savings catalog. I can get the Grizzly GO500 8" Jointer w/ 4 blade cutterhead, 2HP motor, and 75" table for $773 including shipping. I have other Grizzly tools, but I couldn't find many reviews for this specific jointer. The main concern I have is that this unit has two 5" cast iron extensions mounted to the ends of the infeed and outfeed tables. I like the idea of a 75" bed but I worry that the extensions will move, or otherwise be a hassle sometime in the future.

Option 4: Another Grizzly 8" jointer for sale. The 1018HW is an 8" jointer very similiar to the above model except that it has a 3 knife cutterhead, 1 1/2 HP motor, but only a 65" table. This jointer w/ shipping is only $673.

Options 1 and 2 would use up my entire bonus and them some with option 2, but it would be the last jointer I would ever need. Options 3 and 4 would give me an 8" jointer, but not a DJ-20, however I would have extra money (HMMM, I also saw some Grizzly bandsaws for sale).

Thanks for everyone's input.

Eric

I'd go with a DJ 20. Its a good design, easy to adjust, and a known quantity. I had one, and it was easy to sell when I moved up to my current 16" jointer/planer. So don't be so sure its your last planer.

Eric, a little over a year ago, I hedged back and forth, trying to make the same decision. I finally got a real good deal on a non-X5. IMHO, the DJ20 is still the one others are compared to. The 4-knife thing on a jointer isn't really a driving force, again in my opinion. Face it, if you want to increase the number of cuts per inch on a jointer, just feed the stock slower. It's not like a planer, which feeds at a given rate. Also, I find it a big enough pain in the tuckus properly setting depth on 3 blades, much less four! That's one heckuva' deal on that used one and I'd jump all over it before it disappears!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

The DJ-20 in "any flavor" is always a winner. But if you want a review of the G0500 (which I though Grizzly updated, err...changed the colors...and gave a new model number, but I could be wrong since I don't follow them), (a mouthfull...) there is a review on my website by Terry Neilson out on the left coast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Porter
    Option 1: A local woodworker has a pristine Delta DJ-20 X5 series that is about a year old with light use. Since it is the X5 series is still has 4 years on the transferable warranty. Long warranties don't noramally sway my purchase decisions, but it is a nice to have. Along with the jointer he is including a brand new complete cutterhead assembly w/knives (retail $450), and Delta mobile base (retail $90). He will sell me everything for $1,000.
    I like option 1, its sounds almost new, plus you do not have to buy the mobile base or knives. I have the DJ-20 X5 and like it alot. Sorry, but I am not familar with the Grizzly line and can't add any information to those choices.Another thought would be to buy a bandsaw and upgrade the jointer later. Of course there are a lot of DJ-20 out there, but its tough to find a good one for that price.

Thanks for the input guys. That's 4 votes for the slightly used DJ-20 and no votes for the Grizzly you're making it easier and easier for me.

John,
    I agree that the DJ-20 is still the benchmark. However, like you I have recently been going back and forth. In fact, I already put a deposit down on the slightly used DJ-20 that I listed in option 1 and tonight I was beginning to doubt that this was the best decision. I just didn't want to mention the deposit because I didn't want to bias anyones opinion. You also make a great point about setting the knives. I am glad that I am not the only who finds that process extremely tedious and time consuming.

Actually I don't agree at all He He He... Yes a DJ-20 would be nice, are you a pro shop? As I know Spring & Sprong are. Or is this a hobby shop, & why does everyone have to go into over kill when asked such a question. If the Jointer cuts smooth & square isn't that what we are really looking for & for my money I would really rather have two good tools that allow me to do more not just tie all my money up in 1 tool.

Ok ok yes drool drool I'd love to have a DJ-20 Jointer.. but if I had a choice I would purchase a reasonable Jointer like the Grizzly & most likely a good Grizzly band-saw. Oh I forgot if I ever get to Spring or Sprong's shop I'm going to drool all over their nice Delta, Jet & MM tools of course I'll have a rag handy to wipe them off but I am going ot drool never the less.

I know I know spoil sport & yes my frugal feet are firmly anchored to the ground & I am pulling back hard against the rope I just threw out.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-12-2005 at 1:29 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Dj 20! It is a great Jointer!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Eric...

If I were you, I would be tripping over the shoe laces to yell sold on the phone for option one. So whatcha waitin' for.... RUN!

Now for the rational.

First of all, its a DJ-20 design. These are pretty close to working like a mini martin T-54 (parallogram system). This jointer has about 1 year of service and so, certainly, you should inspect it. That is common sense. But the odds are, *THIS* one has survived any infant mortality and with regular care and feeding, should last you many carefree years. It also has this X5 jazz which does not sway me but, hey, if your going to throw it in for free, I will take it.

The second choice includes rework. Always a risk unless your inspecting every detail. It also costs a nice chunk more to pay the tax man, etc. Lastly, this group includes any machines that got rework from infant mortality. Here, I am mainly concerned about regrinding warped tables. Most machine shops of today do not know what they are doing. If you think they do, by all means, penny up and exchange your coin. A warped table this early on can only be bad news and its due mostly to defects in the castings. Regind them flat and they may just warp again. And again. Eventually, you get a table that stays flat or one that has a hole ground through the top. Dont laugh. A guy on ebay was selling just such a jointer and his comment was... "Has a large hole ground in table but should not interfere with its operation". You may also get shipping damage that has bent strategic parts which prevent the jointer from maintaining its full range of alignment. You need a guy like me with tools to perform the pre-purchase inspection on this one. As I am not there and have no plans on showing up, advice is to avoid it.

The last choice is to pursue an 8 inch wedge bed jointer. I am really not happy with how these jointers were designed. The big ones are great but they have lots of extra design features that fix the short commings of this class of jointer. Given a chance to get a parallogram jointer versus a small wedge bed jointer with integral table and wedges, I would definitly pursue the parallogram which is the DJ-20.

Best of luck...
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Yeah, what Dev said! And Dev KNOWS is machines!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Here is another vote for option 1. By the way, I have the same jointer.

I have the Griz G0500 and have been very pleased with the jointer. I have had it for over a year and have run alot of lumber over it with good results. With the money you will save you can use the rest of the money for a present for the wife for being so nice to let you use the money for the jointer. Just my $.02. rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

option 1
    best wishes
    lou

Option 1 without a doubt. Make sure you check the beds to see that they are flat and run a few boards. With 4 more years on the warranty it is not a big issue but it is good to know what you are getting into.Mike

Option 1 Bro', NOW!!