Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto-focus sensor replacement - hurricane laser

auto-focus sensor replacement - hurricane laser

per picture.

this is a 2013 hurricane charley (60w) laser. i purchased it used and am just getting around to setting it up. the auto-focus sensor (on the left with the two screws) seems to be bad. it seems to be burnt up pretty good and caked in soot. anyways, my it doesn't appear to be working and i cannot find a direct replacement. does anyone know where i can find a replacement?

IMG_1730.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jud dinsmore View Post
    per picture.

this is a 2013 hurricane charley (60w) laser. i purchased it used and am just getting around to setting it up. the auto-focus sensor (on the left with the two screws) seems to be bad. it seems to be burnt up pretty good and caked in soot. anyways, my it doesn't appear to be working and i cannot find a direct replacement. does anyone know where i can find a replacement?

IMG_1730.jpg
    I'm not familiar with that type of sensor, but there are AF modules available on eBay. If it's serviceable, you could try taking it apart and cleaning the contacts first.

matt,

thanks for your reply. it looks like it has been caught on fire once or twice. i'm not sure what it is supposed to look like new, but it is definitively chard. the wires connecting it have a plug adapter at the top of the laser tube so it should be an easy swap if i can find the part.

I'm with Matt. Take the sensor off and see what the bottom side looks like. It might just be coated with soot and crude, so much the item can't see what it is looking for.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

i already took it apart and cleaned it as best as i could. its a dead dog.

i already took it apart and cleaned it as best as i could. its a dead dog.
    Hard to tell from the pic, but it might be a proximity switch that was used instead of the conventional plunger.

IMG_1732.jpg

here's a picture from the business end.

Contact Weike, Hurricane machines were made by Weike
    You did what !

Why not just manual focus? The heck with auto focus
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

+1, what Bert said.........Manually focus and save your money.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

thanks guys. i heard back from the original owner of hurricane lasers and the part is $175. more than i was expecting so i'll manual focus for now.

slightly related - for manual focus, are you using set up blocks for the quickest results? i'm just getting started with lasercut and think there is a way to set the z-axis in there. i'm planning on working in five or six heights, using one or two 90% of the time.

Your focus height will always be the same as long as your using the same lens. Doesn't matter what the z height is. The focus will be the same. cut a focus block the proper height.
    and use that to focus. Its just a fast as auto focus and just as accurate. Run a slope test to find the height to cut your block. Do a search here to find out how to do a slope test.I'd explain but other people explain it better then me LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I’m with Bert too, throw it away. No need for the junk, they will go wrong just when you are not expecting it and you will wreck your gantry or something. You don’t need it, just manually focus, it is so quick.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

thanks guys. i heard back from the original owner of hurricane lasers and the part is $175. more than i was expecting so i'll manual focus for now.

slightly related - for manual focus, are you using set up blocks for the quickest results? i'm just getting started with lasercut and think there is a way to set the z-axis in there. i'm planning on working in five or six heights, using one or two 90% of the time.
    The plunger device is about 40 bucks on eBay. Maybe your contact or Weiki can tell you what the OEM part is, if you need that.

got it. thanks for your help.

i'm planning on engraving a single logo and text. understanding that setting up the z-axis on my machine is holding buttons up/down without any numbers for feedback, if i set it up a piece, but am approximately 1/16" off, will this really affect my engraving?