Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking the Festool plunge...

Taking the Festool plunge...

Well, I've finally decided to blow some dough. I've been researching track saws and ROS's and have decided to get the following:

• TS 55 (primarily to cut down sheet goods)
      • Splintergaurd 5 pack
      • 1 additional limit stop (if I'm not mistaken it only comes with one)
      • spare blade (most likely just like the stock one)
      • 118" guide rail
      • Guide rail deflector

• CT dust extractor (haven't decided which one yet - going to woodcraft today to actually see the size differences) - plus save 10%!
    • ETS 150/3 ROS

Now for a few questions:
    1. Does the guide rail deflector work well? Is it worth getting?
    2. What are you using for abrasives? It'll be mostly finish work - not a lot of heavy removal with the sander. Festool alternatives that fit?
    3. Would it be worth it to get the handle for the CT or just make my own? Is one really needed at all?
    4. Guide rail clamps - I've got another post going on this subject but will be buying some.

I will be buying from Bob because of the free shipping and no tax. Any other suggestions on "must have" items are greatly appreciated and encouraged.
    As always, thanks in advance. You all have been very helpful in my deciding what to get.
    Sincerely, Dave.

Congrats! Please don't think of this as "blowing dough", however...yea, it's not inexpensive, but I haven't had to replace a tool in over a decade, so that amortizes out very well. That combined with the precision is a nice thing. And thanks for dealing with Bob. Super nice guy and extremely customer focused.

There's a relatively long thread already established relative to abrasives. I use the Festool discs and buy the 50-packs...they don't go bad over time. I use the screw clamps for the rail for those times when clamping the rail is necessary...they don't get a lot of use in that respect, but are important to have. I'm not familiar with the CT "handle"...my unit is older. On the CT "size", unless you plan on using the vac for shop cleanup, too, there's no real need to "go large". (And it's generally more cost effective to have a sub-$100 "shop vac" for cleanup and just use the CT for tool dust extraction due to the cost of the bags, etc. That's what I do...I have a small Ridgid shop vac and between it and my DC floor sweeps, there's no need to use the CT for cleanup. It "lives" under my bench and has the tool hose and cord setup all the time. I'm also not familiar with the "Guide Rail Deflector", so I can't help with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just took the same plunge myself a couple months ago. Bought all that and quite a bit more. So far its been a nice upgrade and the dust handling alone with these tool was worth it to me. Congrats and enjoy the Koolaid!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Compare the ETS 150 to the ETS EC 150, brushless ROS are the way to go. ON the tracksaw don't limit yourself to just Festool blades, Freud, Forrest and many others make compatible blades.

PS if you like saving money consider signing up for eBay Bucks it is a "reward program" on eBay where you get a voucher at the beginning of every quarter that you can use just like money on eBay purchases. Uncle Bob doesn't sell on eBay but CPO and Hartville Tool does and have most Festool items available. The normal daily rate for earning is only one percent but at least once I month I get an email with usually 8% (sometimes 6 and sometimes 10) then at the end of the quarter I just spend the eBay bucks on more Festool accessories. It is a simple program and it works.

The other option for accessories is German and UK Amazon while not every Festool item is shipped to the US a lot are and the prices (even with shipping) are usually 30-40% lower. I have bought Systainers, vac hoses and several other things from both Amazon UK and DE and saved quite a bit of money.

In general the guide deflector works but it is far from perfect they were designed for the old rails , some on FOG hate it and have built their own. I use almost all Abranet with my Festool and Mirka sanders. Festool papers are great but Klinspor makes excellent papers and have the Festool hole pattern, there is a LOT of current discussion in the thread about the Pro 5 sander.

Don't bother with the guide rail clamps since you will have a 55 and 118" rail. They are rather a pain to use and get and keep straight, this is true for every track saw except the Mafell (king of tracksaws) and the Bosch which uses the Mafell system but not available in the US. I see from the other thread you weren't talking about the rail connectors, sorry. I have the Dewalt quick clamps which I like better and I got a deal on them BUT I almost NEVER use them.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-20-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Compare the ETS 150 to the ETS EC 150, brushless ROS are the way to go. ON the tracksaw don't limit yourself to just Festool blades, Freud, Forrest and many others make compatible blades.
    Forrest Blades makes blades for the TS 55? What are the model numbers for those? I cant find them on their website.

I recently bought several Festools after many years of not seeing a real advantage in that brand. I down sized into a MUCH smaller shop and suddenly the advantages of the MFT and tracksaw became apparent. They were game changers for me as well as the Domino joiner and the Euro cabinet LR32 system. All work as advertised. However, I still don't consider myself a fanboy because I have several other tools that I like more than their Festool equivalents, so I'll be keeping them. As far as several of your questions:

1) The guide rail deflector is marginally worth it. It was designed for their original tracks which were narrower and thus doesn't cover the entire rail end of the current rails, so hose/cord snags still happen all too frequently. It's better than nothing, but I'll be making one like some of the folks on other groups have done.

2) The CT is an excellent vac but it is very expensive and bags are equally expensive. I have a CT 36 and it doesn't have any better suction than my Ridgid 16 gallon vac. It does offer variable speed for sanding suction control and is much quieter. The auto start tool triggered outlet is great, but one can find an aftermarket setup as well. The cost of the bags is insane and so now I use an Oneida dust deputy.

3) I haven't had the need for a CT handle, and have made my own overhead boom arm rather than the expensive attachment for the CT for a tiny fraction of the cost.

4) As for sanders, I can't offer any help as my little old PC ROS just keeps working and refuses to die.

5) Blades. The stock blade on the TS55 is an excellent blade. I did purchase several other blades and they also work as advertised for their intended purposes ( I have always been a blade changer). You might want to see how the stock blade works for your purposes and then purchase additional blades depending on need and purpose.

6) 118" guide rail. When breaking down sheet goods, I sometimes wish I had one, but I use 2 of the 1400 mm with joining bars. They work fine for me and I'm glad I don't have to store that long one given the very limited use it would get in my shop, but it would be very handy if one does a lot of long work.

Good luck with your new tools and be careful as those systainers and all of that nicely organized system can be lucrative.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Forrest Blades makes blades for the TS 55? What are the model numbers for those? I cant find them on their website.
    It is a WWI if it isn't on the site lemme know and I can get the model number when I get home, but it is NOT cheaper than the Festool, IIRC it is more expensive. Tenryu also makes excellent blades for the TS55/75 and the Kapex.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    It is a WWI if it isn't on the site lemme know and I can get the model number when I get home, but it is NOT cheaper than the Festool, IIRC it is more expensive. Tenryu also makes excellent blades for the TS55/75 and the Kapex.
    Got it! (LINK) Never noticed that before. Have to keep my eye out for a deal on that. Thanks!

Remember you can talk to your dealer and swap out the 55in rail for another length if you want. Since I already have an MFT with a 55in, I opted for the 75in rail. Connecting two 55's together doesn't really leave any room to cut a full 8 foot sheet. Both ends of the saw must be within the track to guarantee straightness, so your cut must end when the toe of the saw hits the end of the track

Quote Originally Posted by david mcintyre View Post
    Well, I've finally decided to blow some dough. I've been researching track saws and ROS's and have decided to get the following:

• Splintergaurd 5 pack
      • 118" guide rail
      • Guide rail deflector

• CT dust extractor (haven't decided which one yet - going to woodcraft today to actually see the size differences) - plus save 10%!
    • ETS 150/3 ROS

Now for a few questions:
    1. Does the guide rail deflector work well? Is it worth getting? Not really, it is very rare that the hose and power cord will run over the end of the rail, I just loop them over my shoulder or arm. Some folks have an overhead hanger type support to lift the hose and power above the work, the ribbed hose catches on everything.
    2. What are you using for abrasives? It'll be mostly finish work - not a lot of heavy removal with the sander. Festool alternatives that fit? Rubin in lower grits up through 120 Rubin has a stiffer backing and is designed for raw wood removal). Granat for everything else.
    3. Would it be worth it to get the handle for the CT or just make my own? Is one really needed at all? Get the CT, variable suction is important with the sanders and you will buy sanders eventually. All the CTs have the same suction the only difference is physical size (ie. capacity).
    4. Guide rail clamps - I've got another post going on this subject but will be buying some. I have never actually used my clamps in 5 years.

I will be buying from Bob because of the free shipping and no tax. Any other suggestions on "must have" items are greatly appreciated and encouraged.
    As always, thanks in advance. You all have been very helpful in my deciding what to get.
    Sincerely, Dave.
    Definitely wait to buy additional blades. I use the rip blade a fair amount, several times I have used the TS with rip blade to joint two adjacent boards for a top in a single pass. The long rail is something I would really like to have but haven't reached the $300 annoyance level yet. Connecting rails is fairly easy but kind of a pain and it would be nice to be able to rip full sheets without the time expenditure of joining the rails.

​FWIW-Bill
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 01-20-2017 at 1:21 PM.

I have the guide rail deflector and use it all the time with my Fe$tool #55 saw. Power cable and vacuum hose just glide along without much effort and do not hang up. Worth the US$22.00.

As an aside, last month I was gifted with a set of the DeWalt DWS5026 clamps. Far easier to use than the screw type Fe$tool clamps, which I find awkward. Most economical price on the DeWalt clamps was on Amazon.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-20-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks everyone. A lot to think about...
    I really appreciate all the input.
    Sincerely, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Fe$tool
    Ray, I'm sure that's on here all the time but it was the first time I saw it. Cracked me up.

Dave, welcome to the Green Koolaid. You should check out the Festool Owners Group forum, the depth of knowledge on Festool products is amazing, and the folks are very helpful.

Len
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-20-2017 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to another forum. Not permitted by SMC rules.

I bought a TS75 and CT26 in October aabd have since added an MFT and Rotex 125.

I might not but the extra blade just yet. I used dewalt track clamps on my TS75. I do like the Festool quick ratchet clamps on the MFT.

If you want to actually use your ct for cleanup the compact cleaning my is a requirement. The site wet rubber hose end left marks on some of my cabinets. Having a wide nozzle is also useful. I don't want to log around a shop vac in addition to the CT.

I didn't have a bench with hold downs so the MFT is great for sanding not sitting on the floor. I was skeptical fur the last several years about Festool, but am totally sold on their products in a short time.

I find myself ignoring the deflector.l, but it is only lot free $12.

Quote Originally Posted by david mcintyre View Post

• Splintergaurd 5 pack
      • 118" guide rail
      • Guide rail deflector

• ETS 150/3 ROS

Now for a few questions:
    1. Does the guide rail deflector work well? Is it worth getting?
    2. What are you using for abrasives? It'll be mostly finish work - not a lot of heavy removal with the sander. Festool alternatives that fit?
    3. Would it be worth it to get the handle for the CT or just make my own? Is one really needed at all?
    4. Guide rail clamps - I've got another post going on this subject but will be buying some.

Sincerely, Dave.
    Again welcome to the slippery slope that is Festool. All I can say is that you will not be disappointed. I bought a RO150 a few months ago and now I'm planning on quite a few upgrades this year. The problem is deciding what I want to buy first.