Thread: Bandsaw pick? Grizzly Bandsaw

Bandsaw pick? Grizzly Bandsaw

Anyone using the larger Grizzly 17" Bandsaw? I'm about to order one and wanted to see if there are any negative comments on this saw.

G0513 17" Bandsaw

Wallace

Lots of folks speak kindly of the G0513. There are a number of them who are SMC members, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have it an think it is a fine saw, it recently got Wood Mags best buy. The Rikon 18" received the highest honors though. I did buy Timberwolf blades for mine. There is also a new resaw fence for it. PM me and I can give you details on how to get it (fence) at a special price (can't post the link to the other forum).
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

You may want to check the November issue of Wood Magazine for some detail. This one is rated the "top value" machine.

I like mine, but I have yet to put it through any real tasks. Only complaint is the fence, which in my opinion is too light (needs to be a heavier steel rather than aluminum). Just picked up a log this evening to try out the resaw capabilities. But it will be a week or so before I get to sawing. So basically I have nothing to say at this point - other than I like the saw.

Fit and finish is very good compared to other bandsaws I have looked at (namely Jet). Service after the sale has been excellent (shipping damage - not Grizzly's fault). Saw is quiet and VERY smooth. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

I am quickly becoming a Grizzly fan. I won a Mini Max 24" bandsaw, and also just bought a 24" Grizzly bandsaw, and now think I over paid for the MM. We've been cutting huge green stock on the Grizzly for quite some time now, without a hic-up.

I have had the G0513 for a couple of years now and have been happy with it. The only issue I've had just recently came up. I installed a new Woodslicer Blade to do resawing and can not get it to track straight. The problem is that it tracks at too great of an angle to align my fence. I think I can overcome the missalignment by using a point fence but I haven't used that technique before. Other than this I have been very happy with the performance.
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

I have had my G0513 for nearly 3 years now. I like it.
    It isn't the perfect bandsaw as it is clearly lighter duty than the models twice the price. But it does a good job and hasn't done anything to annoy me. If I was buying today I might look at the Bridgewood variant which adds cast iron wheels and nicer guides.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Had mine for over a year. I've resawn 11-12 inch worth of exotics with a 3/4blade without a problem. I have also stack cut table legs using a small blade without a problem. I would have to agree with Wood's assessment from what I've seen. The Rikon is the best mainly because of the cast iron wheels for the money. My wood has not been able to tell the difference in the wheels though. You will be please with either of these two saws or any of the 17-18's out there.