Thread: Stay put hose or dust hood for lathe

Stay put hose or dust hood for lathe

I fully accept that it is difficult collect the larger wood shavings and probably best to simply use a workshop vacuum at the end of turning

Can anyone please advise which method would work best for collecting finer dust at source

a dust hood or stayput hose

I use an over-arm hood for the lathe to collect during sanding...you can position the hood close while you work with the 80-grit and finer gouges. As you surmise, in most cases collecting shavings as they are being made is nearly impossible. That's where a floor sweep comes into play as long as you have a cyclone or other pre-separator.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I fully accept that it is difficult collect the larger wood shavings and probably best to simply use a workshop vacuum at the end of turning
    Can anyone please advise which method would work best for collecting finer dust at source
    a dust hood or stayput hose
    Brian,

I use this magnetic base and arm made for dial indicators: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5T2ZA8 ,and the "Dust Source Rigid Flex Set" I found on the shelf at Woodcraft, $20.
    magnetic_base.jpg ------------------------ dust pickup.jpg

The 4" flex hose is nice - I use a second one (without the nozzle) on top of the bandsaw table to catch dust from skimming cuts. The magnetic base is also only $20 and is a ripoff clone of the $110 Noga I use at the milling machine. This type of base uses a single knob to lock the position.

I didn't think to take a close up picture of just the dust pickup but this pic shows a bit - the magnetic base is stuck to the top of the headstock and the working end is fastened through a hole I drilled in the left flange of the yellow pickup nozzle:

lathe_dust_pickup.jpg

The flex pipe is supposed to stay where you put it but that is a touch optimistic with the nozzle attached. With the magnetic base arm it is OK but not perfect. I will eventually look for a sturdier arm. As it it, it occasionally sags a bit but nothing to fret about. I think it would probably hold it's position better if I shortened it about 8" but I'm not ready to cut it yet.

HOWEVER, the dust pickup works far better than I thought it would. I do have a lot of suction (5hp ClearVue cyclone) and while, as you surmise, it won't catch chips it will certainly suck up most of the sanding dust.

The mouth of the yellow pickup nozzle is probably not wider than 10" or so (never measured it). I watched it carefully while sanding a spindle about 24" long with a bright light to show the dust. The air movement easily pulled dust at least a foot away from the edge of the nozzle, moved it horizontally down the lathe and into the nozzle. I often sand in reverse to throw dust away from me, but it appeared to work as well with the lathe spinning in either direction.

I did another test in a darkened room with a bright light above the lathe. I sanded a bit without it on to put some dust in the air. When I switched it on I watched fine suspended dust from at least 3' away accelerate towards and get sucked into the pickup. Watching this thing move sanding dust like that makes me want to try to take a video.

A couple of side issues with this (no complaints, though): one, just the air rush is painfully LOUD and it is, of course, aimed right at me. I have to wear hearing protectors. Second, I have to consciously hold onto things. I can't say how many pieces of sandpaper, steel wool, paper towels, small rags, and bits of wood got were suddenly relocated to the bin! I'm sure it would happily grab an ornament or box lid out of my hands. I mentioned elsewhere I would hate for my cat to get too close.... :-)

BTW, one side of the clear plastic box behind the lathe that splits one 6" duct into two 4" blast gates has a shop vac hose connected and ready to vacuum up the chips that get thrown everywhere. Now if I could just find the discipline somewhere to use it occasionally....

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Jim and john thank you for your posts.

I have a (copy )magnetic base similar to the one in Johns picture and like the idea of using it to support the hose When looking a variants of hose available in I can purchase 4 inch hose identical to John,s currently on offer for $20 including postage but the hose had mixed reviews

At present I am leaning towards this hose ,its construction appears to be the most substantial I have seen

Record Power DX100E Modular Hose for Woodturners
    £68.99 Inc. VAT
    £57.49 Exc. VAT

Check out our Fair Deal on Delivery Promise

Product Features & Specification
    Record Power DX100E Modular Hose for Woodturning

DX100E Modular Hose for Woodturning

Self supporting extraction port and hose, ideal for woodturning, 660mm in length. This is an official LOC-LINE® product, the original and best modular hose. Suitable for 100 mm systems.

The only downside it is very expensive about $90 including postage
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-21-2017 at 2:08 PM.

Looks like that is a UK product only. I looked at the Loc-Line modular hose sold here but I never could find it larger than 2.5". Does anyone know of a US distributor for the 100mm hose?

JKJ

Hi John

I think it is a 100mm hose I will contact the company on Monday and report back

I did find this link you may find useful

http://www.loc-line.com/product/80813/

and https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-8081.../dp/B01LYEMPY1

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-21-2017 at 2:30 PM.

Thanks, Brian,

I saw those pages but that size seems too small for the lathe. I suspect if the 4" is available here it would be expensive here too, but might be worth it. I'm guessing the shipping from the UK would be pretty high.

I think one of their small flexible coolant lines would be great for the metal lathe.

JKJ

Hi John
    I think it is a 100mm hose I will contact the company on Monday and report back
    I did find this link you may find useful
    http://www.loc-line.com/product/80813/
    and https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-8081.../dp/B01LYEMPY1
    regards Brian

Oneida has this Stay Flex hose http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD..._no=SCOLLECT40 which is available in 4 inch size. No idea how good it is. Could hook it up to a large hood or make your own

Hi John

I have spoken to Record and they say it is 80 mm at the joints My thoughts are it is likely to be the same as the 2.5 inch Line Loc product which is widely available.

Record are probably are measuring the outside diameter but I cannot be certain

The code dx100 does not mean 100 mm diameter hope this helps

The only way to get a definitive answer if Lin Loc produce a product wider than 2.5 inches would be to contact the parent company

regards Brian

I have spoken to Record and they say it is 80 mm at the joints...
    Brian, thank you for checking. A 4" duct works so well I would hate to go smaller.

JKJ

I have found this hose which may be a consideration

http://www.axminster.co.uk/stayput-e...n-hose-ax22323

It is available in the uk as a 100mm variant but again it is a little expensive