Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe tools recommendation

lathe tools recommendation

I've recently purchased my first lathe so I need to get some turning chisels. I'll be turning mostly legs and bowls. Maple, black limba, walnut, etc.
    I would like to get some tools that will last awhile, but not necessarily spend hundreds of dollars. Any recommendations? Not even quite
    sure what type (cutting head shape) I should start with.

thanks!
    chip

Chip, you will get much good advice from others here who have more turning experience than I. My one piece of advice would be to buy the highest quality tooling you can, even if it means limited number of tools. Start with the basics, and add later as time and budget allow. Over time and with experience you will better know what specific tools you need.

My two favorite tool makers are D-Way and Thompson. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

best wishes,

A big second for D Way and Thompson. Highest quality and you buy direct from the guys that make them. Hmm, some day I will have to make up a list of 'starter' kits, that I would suggest...

2 bowl gouges one more pointy for sides 40 to 45 degrees, and one more blunt 60 to 70 degree bevel for bottoms, spindle roughing gouge, detain gouge, at least one scraper, skew, parting tool, others I am sure...

robo hippy

Clay and Reed - thanks for your response! I checked out both companies and looks like great tools reasonably priced. Thanks again, this gives me a great start to go on.

Packard store line. they are made by Hamlet

Other than a few cheap scrapers and odd and ends, I don't own anything but D-Way and Thompson.

NOT saying that D-way and Thompson are not the best, but consider the (gasp) Harbor Freight tool set that you can get for way less than 100 bucks. You can learn to grind on them, they are NOT the best tools but to LEARN, I think you can't beat that. Yes, I do own a several D-way and Dougs tools. Yes, if you're willing to spend that money now, you cannot go wrong. No doubt about that. I still have and use the HF tools.

It would help if you tell us what lathe you have. Suggesting tools for a lathe with no idea of size is really just a guess on our part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    NOT saying that D-way and Thompson are not the best, but consider the (gasp) Harbor Freight tool set that you can get for way less than 100 bucks. You can learn to grind on them, they are NOT the best tools but to LEARN, I think you can't beat that. Yes, I do own a several D-way and Dougs tools. Yes, if you're willing to spend that money now, you cannot go wrong. No doubt about that. I still have and use the HF tools.
    I agree. Starting out the need for equipment (sharpening, chucks, chisels, etc.) is expensive. If that is not an issue then buy Thompson or D-Way and never look back. I started out with the HF red handle set. They have been great to learn to sharpen with plus I could start turning. I have bought some of the cheap brands, but found the HF set to be better. I am now buying the Thompson tools. I have been turning a couple of years, and it took me that long to acquire the basic equipment before I could start buying Thompson tools. I have found the "need" for something never goes away.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I did as many have and bought the HF set - the better one. They are a good start, but only for spindle turning as there is no bowl gouge included. If money is an issue, and it nearly always is, then this is a good recommendation. Then, buy a BB bowl gouge and you will be able to move forward until better tools are affordable.

I started with the Benjamin best from penn state, I ground them up bad learning to sharpen and learning what grinds I like. Not the best tools but I didn't grind up expensive tools either. I like the hamlet tools for variety but I really only use about 8 tools the rest set or just get used here and there. The M2 is good quality from Hamlet and for the main 8 tools most are M4 which I like better than the cobalt and V10. No offense intended. The M2 tools I have do not get used constantly so the savings in money allows me to buy better drill bits, chucks etc. If you buy a cheaper set you will need to sharpen them often, this gives you good practice at sharpening and lets you find the grinds you like.

12. I would also recommend the better set from HF. its the tools I started with and I actually still use a couple of them. I think the whole set was around 40 bucks with a coupon. Get those and a cheap bowl gouge and learn to use your tools and how to sharpen. You can upgrade to better tools later as you find the ones you use the most, etc. Also, Id recommend a set of carbide tools. Make them yourself or find someone that makes them. They will not replace your other tools but they do have a place. I have a large set and a small set. The large set gets almost no use at all but the small set gets used a bunch. They are awesome for pen turning if you decide to get into that.

My first 'set' of tools was the Artisan set from Craft Supplies. Most likely a better set than anything from Harbor Freight, and possibly a step up from Benjamin's Best. I never believed in getting the cheapest with just about any tool I use. Sets from catalog or box stores tend to have tools in them that you will most likely never use though.

robo hippy

Don't discount Woodriver from Woodcraft. A 5 piece set for under 200. I have one of the bowl gouges that I turned into a bottom gouge. Pretty good tool for the money.
    Don

The harbor freight set is okay because if you really get into turning you'll be able to find uses for the flat bars as specialty tools, even if you replace the tools themselves. I'm not sure why they give you two roughing gouges and no bowl gouge, but whatever.

I'd recommend Thompson for tools that get heavy use roughing, where edge holding is the primary concern, like a bowl gouge and maybe a scraper. For tools you don't use much and don't mind sharpening a lot there's no good reason to spend the extra money.