Thread: User Azebiki for hardwood - recommendation and supplier?

User Azebiki for hardwood - recommendation and supplier?

Will mainly be used with white oak. Some softwood. Thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated. After reading about the principles behind them in Mr. Odate's book I realize that I think I will use something like this very frequently for various grooves and dado's. Just the thought of a screaming router puts me in an annoyed mood.

After looking online, I see both an aggressive shape and a more graceful bend. Which would would be better served?

If you have one, do you utilize it very often? And if you have one and don't use it would you share your experiences on why not?

Thank you - Paul

I've had an azebiki on my wish list for a bit. Interested in the answers as well.

The azebiki available nowadays are designed and sized for carpentry work and are too large for cabinet/casework/furniture making. For these jobs, small azebiki are best. My favorite one has a cutting edge about 3" long.

The tightly curved azebiki are likewise intended for aggressive carpentry/timber work. The tighter the radius, the faster the cut, but with fewer teeth in the cut, you have less control, the cut surfaces are rougher, and the the teeth become clogged quicker when cutting dados and grooves precisely. But too straight, and the blade can't cut into a flat surface quickly. A large radius is better for cabinet/casework/furniture making.

Most azebiki made nowadays are ryoba two-edge style. Again this style is convenient for carpentry work, but for cabinet/casework/furniture a single-edge kataba azebiki is far superior. Remember, for cutting dados/grooves, the saw is often held against a straight wooden guide, so the offside teeth get in the way.

The ones made nowadays have way too much set. If you use a ryoba style for cutting grooves with a guide, you might consider removing some of the excess set.

One improvement professionals make to their azebiki is to cut teeth all the way to the extreme end of the plate. Make the last two or three teeth gradually shorter, with the end tooth kinda hanging out there in mid-air. No set is necessary The last three teeth are critical to performing some cuts.

Stan