Thread: NZ Wood Gloat

NZ Wood Gloat

My daughter just returned from a vacation trip to New Zealand and brought me this wood. The center piece is Kahikatea. Starting at the top and going clockwise - Black
    Beech, Pohutukawa, Swamp Totara, Ancient Kauri, Miro, Rimu or Rena? and the square is Figured Rimu that came from an old beam. Looking forward to turning something nice for her.

NZ Wood.jpg

She did contact some people from a wood turning club who were very helpful and some offered wood from their private supply. She chose to purchase from a dealer because of the custom issues.
    Last edited by Paul Williams; 01-20-2017 at 10:56 PM.

That's awesome! I've never even heard of any of those lol
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Were there any issues with bringing wood into the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stanton View Post
    Were there any issues with bringing wood into the US?
    I'm interested in the answer to that too. From my travels and discussion I understood that raw wood, in particular, wood with bark or possible parasite infection is prohibited from import without permit and sterilization. A product MADE from wood is ok, presumably if not banned by CITES. (I read an article indicating some inspectors were confiscating anything that looks like rosewood due to the ban on transporting even things made from Brazilian rosewood.)

However, I've never found and read the actual statutes.

Some of it may depend on whether the bag is inspected and on the disposition of that customs inspector that day.

Some experiences: A very generous man has sent to me several packages of turning blanks he cut from local trees in Australia and they were delivered by the post office without issue. A friend shipped a bunch of boxwood from Great Britain and had to go through a lengthy and expensive process. I have had wood milled into thick cutting boards and brought it home in my suitcase. (no bark)

All in all, I suspect buying from a dealer with international experience is the safest bet.

Maybe some others will also share experiences.

JKJ

You lucky dog! what a great daughter you have you raised her right! I'm sure I'm speaking for all when I say I can;t wait to see how this wood looks finished.

I recall hauling a very heavy duffel bag back with wood from New Zealand myself and some it was Rimu. On another trip I bought back some bowls from Tasmania turned from reclaimed Huon Pine. Been using that wooden bowl for every big salad since 1992. Very beautiful lumber down under. I had no problem bringing it through customs. I made the new zealand wood into cutting boards as I didnt have that much. Interesting when we landed in NZ they came aboard and spayed bug spay up and down the aisles before they would let us off the plane.

My daughter said that her research showed that the wood had to be dry lumber. Which is why she decided to buy from a dealer hand picked mostly processed blanks. It did cause her baggage to get extra inspection, and she had to tell customs what and why she was bringing it back. Other than that, and the weight of one duffel bag there was no problem getting it into the US.