Thread: Another Bandsaw Thread

Another Bandsaw Thread

I have been looking around for a bandsaw and I read every bandsaw thread with great interest. I look at craigslist everyday and this Minimax S45 about a hour from me came along. Its $1800 and the listing says its from the 90s. Is $1800 a fair value for this saw?

https://olympic.craigslist.org/hvo/5930135488.html

Personally I think thats a bit too much for a saw that old. However that one does appear to be in unusually excellent condition so I guess that might command a premium.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

First, they have pictures of 3 or 4 different saws, not a good start.

Second, that is over-priced for the green version. They paid less than that for it new, I think they were around $1500 in the late 90s.

Third, be aware that is not nearly the same caliber of saw as the MMxx saws that are made for SCM by Centauro. They had suspect Italian motors and the switches were garbage and likely has been replaced but may not have been.

Fourth, in good condition it is a $500 to $600 saw. He may get someone to buy is just on the name but honestly until I saw the price drop significantly I wouldn't bother to look at it.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-21-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You're right on the pictures. I went back and looked at them and they are definitely different saws in the pictures. Thats a bummer. The search continues. Thank you for the input.

Two pictures are of the same one, lol.

1800 bucks should get you a substantial saw that may just need tires, or just a touch of love.

I can't go back to a small saw again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Two pictures are of the same one, lol.

I can't go back to a small saw again.
    A 14" saw is small? Are you milling lumber?

HI Joseph,

I have two MM s45's that I purchased in the 90's. I can't remember how much I paid for them, but it was under $1,800.00. They have even very good saws, no complaints. However, $1,800 for a used s45 is way to much in my opinion. They are asking over double what that saw is worth. I think Van is in the ball park on the price.

Looking at the photo's, there is more than two different saws. The first photo looks good, and they go down hill from there.

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Layton; 01-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Please do not. 6 days ago I drove to philly and bought this exact saw. In pristine condition, with blades, and just really clean. I paid 650 dollars. And could have easily gotten it lower, but I didn't feel the need. The saw was well worth it. I currently have an active post regarding the saw actually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Depending on how you use your bandsaw, a 14" can be considered your small saw. I have a 10" but still call the 14" the "small saw" out of habit. The ubiquitous cast iron 14" bandsaw is a staple of many shops both home and pro. Sometimes it's "the" saw and sometimes its the "small saw"
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not with a bandsaw, but once you het used to a 30 or 36" throat depth and having 18" under the guides, it's hard to go backwards.

Yes, that's small.

For a home shop I believe the best range is 17 to 20 inches, you get a small saw with good capabilities.

Not too heavy, accurate and powerful enough for most wood working tasks...........Regards, Rod.

I have suspicion that someone is trying to "flip" this band saw. You can tell there are pictures of different saws in the ad. Which one is he trying to sell? The price is extremely high for what is offered. Pass on this one.