Thread: Why does my post dissapear into another dimention, on the same thread ?

Smile Why does my post dissapear into another dimention, on the same thread ?

Title says it all really ....
    I've just posted on the tips and tricks thread,
    As with most forums.... I thought my post would be on the last page, when I click into the post again to look at it ...
    But instead its somewhere else that's not easy to find .
    I tried editing the post, to move it to the end of the posts , i.e newest reply, but I was unable .

What am I doing wrong ?
    Sorry if you guys are blue in the face telling people why/how to fix ...
    A link would be sufficient .
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Title says it all really ....
    I've just posted on the tips and tricks thread,
    As with most forums.... I thought my post would be on the last page, when I click into the post again to look at it ...
    But instead its somewhere else that's not easy to find .
    I tried editing the post, to move it to the end of the posts , i.e newest reply, but I was unable .

What am I doing wrong ?
    Sorry if you guys are blue in the face telling people why/how to fix ...
    A link would be sufficient .
    Thanks in advance
    Tom
    Tom, I'm not forum support but I did take a quick look. I think something may be broken in the software, or at least poorly designed.

Your post is still there. I view in Hybrid thread mode. If I switch to Last First (in General settings) your post is at the top of the list.

But in Hybrid mode, something is odd. With the default setting for the number of threads displayed per page, I see three pages of threads. Displaying each page also shows which of the total messages are displayed. I see:
    Page 1: threads 1 thru 15 of 62
    Page 2: threads 16 thru 30 of 62
    Page 3: threads 31-45 of 62
    However, it doesn't even give the option of viewing page 4. There is no way I can find to view threads 46 thru 62 with the Hybrid mode.

If I set the the number of threads per page to 40. It is worse - I get access to just a single page with threads 1 - 40. I see no way to view threads 41 thru 62.

Of course I may be overlooking something obvious. Perhaps a forum moderator will test this and respond. BTW, at the moment I am viewing on an iPad.

I suspect many people will still see your post if they do like I usually do by reading the most recent post if the thread name interests me: click on Forums then New Posts. Until someone else posts in this thread a click on the little arrow next to your name will display your tip. However, this mechanism is a weakness in this forum software since it breaks down when more than one person has posted in a thread since the viewer's last visit. The only way I know to catck those is to view the most recent post then hunt through the thread index for the highlighted post then see what is above it. This, doesn't work, of course, unless the last is a reply to the next to last.

Setting the preference to Last First appears to always show the most recent threads, but then the threaded continuity is disrupted. There are some better wasy to handle this but all I know of have their own drawbacks. I think they buy this software as a package so for now we may be stuck with the way it is.

BTW, I didn't test this, but if the hidden message situation in that thread changes when another message is posted, I might suspect this to be a typical "off by one" programming error.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-21-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: iPad fat finger typos