Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a new Porter Cable ros or just replace the pad?

Blog Entries

Should I buy a new Porter Cable ros or just replace the pad?

I have a Porter Cable 333 vs ros sander that is about 10 years old, it works fine but it needs a new pad thst costs $18 on Amazon. I can buy a new Porter Cable ros for $45.

Which option would you choose?
    thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    If the sander has served you well for a decade I would be tempted to get the pad just for the sake of familiarity. I have three different types of pads for my Bosch sanders and change them based on what I'm doing. The point being that putting a new pad on is pretty normal and not really a "repair". I have no empirical data but, I tend to maintain older tools rather than take a chance on a new one if I am after the same item. Could be because my 20 year old washer and dryer just keep running while friends are on their 3rd set in 5 years; some things just don't last anymore.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's quite normal--pretty much required--to replace the hook and loop pad on a ROS periodically, so if the tool itself is working properly and you're comfortable with it, replacing the pad makes absolute sense.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've replaced the pad three times since I bought one of these sanders new in 2005 (really only twice: hint - don't buy a replacement and let it sit for years then try and use it). The sander works really well, so if it needs another pad I'll probably buy one if it's still available at that point. I checked Amazon and the price is $12.99 for a model 333 replacement pad; the local Lowe's stocks the replacements for $16.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice, I ordered a new pad
    Dennis

I have the same sander on its third pad. Son's 333 is on its second pad.
    For others reading this thread: my local Home Depot stocks a replacement in the same price range. They also have pads for a few other makes/models. I was pleased to find the pad thickness and pattern for the attachment screws was identical to some other brands. If you can't find Porter Cable, look for a match in Brand X.

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 01-21-2017 at 8:15 PM. Reason: typolexia

Keep the backing plate from the old pad and clean it off and glue on a new piece of rubber and 5" diameter self adhesive velcro disc available at Home Depot. I would also replace that little belt while you're changing out the pad.

I have never been able to get a <$150 ROS to last more than about 5 years, typically 2-3 years.... Every sander has failed in a different mode from the others. The color of ROS doesn't really matter as they all have failed. For the past few years I treat them as disposable items and just buy whatever is on sale when needed.

Robert

Robert, it really matters how much that ROS is getting used. I'll agree that the PC333 and similar are subject to wearing out over a few years with a lot of use, and that's why I moved to what I use now once I got more and more into things. But many woodworkers can get extended life if they are not heavy users. The hook and loop pads, however, tend to require replacement due to heat from friction and that's true even of the higher-end tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've got 2 pc332's and 1 pc333. Had at least 15 years. Other than the rubber band or pad they still work fine. They were bought at Pawn shops used...

I also have a 333 thats been going 15years and many pads. My understanding is the new PC sanders are not near as good as these older ones.

If the sander can function well with a simple repair it seems superior to purchasing a new sander. That said, some times the cost of repairs near the price of a replacement.

After going through several ros, including PC and Bosch, we switched over to Milwaukee and they gave great service for several years but when I went to replace one they had changed the dust bag to a canister. That cannister is impossible to keep from leaking, often blasting you in the face with dust. My point, better off with your proven tool than the new one sometimes.

Buy the new pad. These also interchange with the Dewalt models. I tried one of the replacement velcro sticky back paper types. Made to stick to the old face. Did not last long as it fell off. If you try the sander mistakenly with no paper on , it will ruin the hoop and loop face. I always store the PC with a sanding disc on.

$10 will get you a new pad off of ebay.