Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Attach Images Inline

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Is there a way to get the full sized images to show in the posts, instead of the thumbs?

Clicking on each one of the thumbs and getting a pop up can be a pain....
    I was going to ask the same thing...I don't prefer the thumbs, either. But I see you answered it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWIW and I don't know if/how this works on the Mac side but, if you want the thumbnail full-size pics to open in a seperate browser window, simply depress your "Shift" key while clicking on the thumbnail. Alternatively, right-click on the thumb and click on "Open link in new window". This helps to prevent from closing up the main thread window by mistake. (DAMHIKT!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I was going to ask the same thing...I don't prefer the thumbs, either. But I see you answered it.
    I'm not a big fan of the thumbs either. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds for the full size images.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    I'm not a big fan of the thumbs either. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds for the full size images.
    Hey Bruce & Jim, while I guess I'm partial to the regular images, as well, I can see Aaron's point and objective. Among other things, although our future connection should be about as fast as we are currently, SMC growth can easily clog it up some more and we're not going to have the headroom as we now enjoy with a bigger pipe. The bandwidth issue makes much sense to me. Besides, we picked up the "in-line" feature, which I think is a real fair trade-off! Personally, I don't mind the thumbs as much as not being able to put more than 5 pics in the same data field. It's usually not a problem for me, but I've seen quite a few threads with guys trying to run a consecutive tutorial on a project and it gets chopped up if someone replies too early after the first post. But hey, nobody ever said it was ALL going to be perfect!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    It's usually not a problem for me, but I've seen quite a few threads with guys trying to run a consecutive tutorial on a project and it gets chopped up if someone replies too early after the first post.
    If it's impossible to post more than five pics per post, perhaps there is a method to prepare a post with five pics and then put it in some sort of holding pattern until the next post with more pics has been written up and then they can both get published at the same time.

Failing that - At the end of Post #1 simply write something like, "But wait! There's more!
    Only the Blue Roads

Just testing picture posting, please ignore:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah, the thumbnail thing works, great.

Rgds

Noel
    Last edited by Noel Hegan; 10-30-2005 at 7:48 AM.

I gotta try....

th_002_2.jpg

th_004_4.jpg

Cool it worked for me.....now I don't feel so Stoopid!
    Last edited by Steve Ash; 11-02-2005 at 2:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    If it's impossible to post more than five pics per post, perhaps there is a method to prepare a post with five pics and then put it in some sort of holding pattern until the next post with more pics has been written up and then they can both get published at the same time.

Failing that - At the end of Post #1 simply write something like, "But wait! There's more!
    I haven't done this yet, but I think it would work.
    1) Calculate the number of sequential posts you're going to need based on the number of pics you have and also factoring in the total size limit per post. Ex: 12 pics needs 3 posts (5+5+2) - assuming there aren't total pic size issues which force you to divide things up a bit differently.
    2) Prepare the first post and attach the pics then submit it
    3) Before anyone else has a chance to reply to it, quickly add 2 more replies as placeholders.
    4) Then edit each of the replies to add the text and other pics you need.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    I haven't done this yet, but I think it would work.
    1) Calculate the number of sequential posts you're going to need based on the number of pics you have and also factoring in the total size limit per post. Ex: 12 pics needs 3 posts (5+5+2) - assuming there aren't total pic size issues which force you to divide things up a bit differently.
    2) Prepare the first post and attach the pics then submit it
    3) Before anyone else has a chance to reply to it, quickly add 2 more replies as placeholders.
    4) Then edit each of the replies to add the text and other pics you need.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?
    Should work...
    The originator of a thread can edit the title, right? So just title the thread "Pending" or something until you've got all the posts composed and submitted, then edit the first one to change the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Thumbs ... should save some bandwidth. In particular, on hot threads with lots of pictures, where you're viewing the thread multiple times per week, you will be downloading the thumbnails each time- only needing to click on the picture if you need a refresher. (snip)
    As we suck up more and more bandwidth, maybe we should consider a cultural change... No more posts that only say "wonderful work." Encourage posts with specific suggestions, etc., and maybe find a way of giving someone a score, but I get pretty tired of checking in on a topic (or the updates to a topic), downloading the whole thread only to find that it is just 10 more messages that say "nice job."

I believe we have a survey feature... is it low overhead? Maybe project pictures should be entered as a survey so people can say "great job" (score 5), or "good job" (score 4) or whatever (nobody seems to say, "you should have been able to do better than that" - score 1) without the threads expanding so much.

And maybe the avitars should be limited to pictures of the person "speaking," not pets, kids, tools, toys, logos, etc. that take bandwidth but don't add to the personal discussion this forum is noted for.
    Last edited by Charlie Plesums; 11-04-2005 at 4:51 PM.

Charlie, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point...I think it is good for the community that folks express their appreciation of work by others, even if it's in a very succinct way. SMC's server bandwidth is not even close to constrained at this point. The point of the thumbs is to enhance performance for community members "out there" who are on dialup and don't have the downstream bandwidth that many of us have with higher speed services. (I'll be honest, I don't prefer them for functional viewing reasons, but that's a personal preference and I do understand what it can be like for someone stuck on a dialup line 'cause occastionally I get in that situation when traveling)

I certainly would encourage folks to ASK for input or critique if they are interested and willing to accept honest opinions, but when it's not requested, it's generally accepted in nearly all forums that critique should not be given.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Charlie, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point...I think it is good for the community that folks express their appreciation of work by others, even if it's in a very succinct way. SMC's server bandwidth is not even close to constrained at this point. The point of the thumbs is to enhance performance for community members "out there" who are on dialup and don't have the downstream bandwidth that many of us have with higher speed services. (I'll be honest, I don't prefer them for functional viewing reasons, but that's a personal preference and I do understand what it can be like for someone stuck on a dialup line 'cause occastionally I get in that situation when traveling)

I certainly would encourage folks to ASK for input or critique if they are interested and willing to accept honest opinions, but when it's not requested, it's generally accepted in nearly all forums that critique should not be given.
    I understand that we have a pretty good server now, where the server badwidth is not constrained. I do believe that Aaron was warning us that the 768 Kbps upload telecomm bandwidth was adequate for SMC now, but didn't leave a lot of room for growth. Therefore I think we need to conserve that bandwidth. That is why I was suggesting we look for a way to allow members to "vote" their admiration more efficiently. And I love the discussions like "...beautiful piece. How did you create...."

I feel the pain of dialup... although my download speed at home has been running close to 3 mbps lately, I was on a 28 kbps dial up for 8 days last month! I agree on the thumbnail point for that reason (even though I don't like it as much when I have the high speed line).

how about PMs

Can one attach photos to PMs? I can't seem to figure out how to do it. If not, am I alone in thinking that this feature would come in handy?

Rob,

Sorry but the Private Message function doesn't have the capability of attaching pictures.

Charlie,

Considering we are not sharing our bandwidth with other servers and our entire pipe is dedicated to just SMC we have enough bandwidth to support our needs for the time being. Aaron was probably refering to future growth, we are growing at a fairly steady rate and have been for the last two years. When I signed the current contract with Cox Cable I was assured they would be able to provide a larger pipe next year when our bandwidth needs increase. Verizon has also announced that they would be providing fiber to the premise in our area next year so we are comfortable that we will have additional bandwidth available when we need it for SMC. If we needed additional bandwidth tomorrow we could add another line and load balance the two, of course our expenses would also double.

The thumbnail feature was added by the new version of our software and we have the ability to turn it on or off. Although it does add steps for those with broadband connections it makes SMC much more enjoyable for those less fortunate, I use a dialup connection every now and then so I appreciate how much faster pages load using the new thumbnail feature. There is a bandwidth savings as well, this should help us to conserve our resources and possibly add new services in time.

As far as how our Members respond to messages I have never felt we should prescribe any type of protocol other than respecting each others point of view.

I hope everyone is enjoying our new home, all is well.