Thread: Which Mortiser?

Which Mortiser?

I am interested in purchasing a floor mortiser. Recommendations and feedback appreciated.

Are you wanting a new floor model, or an OWWM model. I have the Powermatic 719T and it works well for its purpose.

As Rich said the first question is big old iron or something shiny and new, the second question is budget.

Now, hollow chisel mortiser threads will be soon deluged with alternatives to a HCM so you need to decide if you want a HCM or you are interested in the myriad alternatives.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

Now, hollow chisel mortiser threads will be soon deluged with alternatives to a HCM so you need to decide if you want a HCM or you are interested in the myriad alternatives.
    Yes, that is one of the truly annoying facets of this forum.

So Ed, let me just say I have the equipment to do any kind of joint that will be mentioned, and there are just things where a conventional M&T are just better. I thought the Domino would replace my morticing machine, but it is just not accurate enough. Which I am sure will bring some comments that I don't know how to use it, but really Ed, don't be dissuaded, a morticer of whatever variety is a must in my shop. The 719T is a capable machine at a reasonable price, the T being tilt, something I wish my morticer had.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Yes, that is one of the truly annoying facets of this forum.

So Ed, let me just say I have the equipment to do any kind of joint that will be mentioned, and there are just things where a conventional M&T are just better. I thought the Domino would replace my morticing machine, but it is just not accurate enough. Which I am sure will bring some comments that I don't know how to use it, but really Ed, don't be dissuaded, a morticer of whatever variety is a must in my shop. The 719T is a capable machine at a reasonable price, the T being tilt, something I wish my morticer had.
    I sold my domino after I realized I just didn't use it anymore. Too many other options.

I had the Jet floor mortiser (now discontinued) which is same as the Powermatic except it did not have tilt on the table. It was a good machine and I never had any problems at all. I never used any chisels bigger than 5/8" if I remember correctly. I did make one modification....added a sandpaper wood block to the clamp for greater holding power.

I'm now running a OWWM Powermatic chain mortiser. For what I do it works well and lots faster plus I now have tilt.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I sold my domino after I realized I just didn't use it anymore. Too many other options.
    Larry, can you explain when and where a Domino is not accurate enough? I have been thinking about buying one.

Recently picked up a used Powermatic 720HD mortiser that was missing the tilting table assembly and some other expensive parts, which I was able to order from their parent company. The table won't be expected for a few months; the rest of the parts came in yesterday. Paid $400 for the mortiser and $700+ for the parts! But a new machine retails for ~$2700. Only came with a 1/2" hollow chisel. It runs on 220-vac.

http://www.gotgreattools.com/powerma...r-1791309.html

Blog Entries
    Faster is the key with everyone. So the Domino survives.. But I'll use the M&T on anything of true value...

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Recently picked up a used Powermatic 720HD mortiser that was missing the tilting table assembly and some other expensive parts, which I was able to order from their parent company. The table won't be expected for a few months; the rest of the parts came in yesterday. Paid $400 for the mortiser and $700+ for the parts! But a new machine retails for ~$2700. Only came with a 1/2" hollow chisel. It runs on 220-vac.

http://www.gotgreattools.com/powerma...r-1791309.html

I don't think the Powermatic makes the 720 anymore.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

For my relatively light use the General International 75-075 fills the bill very nicely. I wouldn't buy one without the rolling table, it makes it a breeze to bang out lots of identical parts. The chisels that come with it are OK after a *lot* of work on polishing, honing and sharpening. The ones from Leigh Valley are much better out of the box and super once they are honed and polished-- a 5 min job vs a two hour job. The machine doesn't have the robustness or speed of a real horizontal mortiser, but for my needs and budget it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    For my relatively light use the General International 75-075 fills the bill very nicely. I wouldn't buy one without the rolling table, it makes it a breeze to bang out lots of identical parts. The chisels that come with it are OK after a *lot* of work on polishing, honing and sharpening. The ones from Leigh Valley are much better out of the box and super once they are honed and polished-- a 5 min job vs a two hour job. The machine doesn't have the robustness or speed of a real horizontal mortiser, but for my needs and budget it is good.
    I have have this machines "little brother" I believe. And it is a fantastic machine. I second the LV chisel recommendation. I only ever seem to use one chisel the 1/4" so I just bought that. I've never needed anything else in the 5 or six years I've owned it.
    Paul

I have a grizzly g0448 (their big floor mortiser) and love it. I thought about the general but I have a grizzly planer and jointer and their service terrific. (Issue was my fault...) figured I'd stick with what worked well in the past and it was a good decision