Thread: Metabo SXE450 RO sander (is it a cheaper Festool?)

Metabo SXE450 RO sander (is it a cheaper Festool?)

Can't find much information about this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-TurboT.../dp/B0019IF93U

(Other than that Metabo used to make a model for Ridgid, but doesn't any longer).

Based on specs and general appearance, this looks pretty comparable to a Festool Rotex that sells for 3x the price. Anyone have one?

OPPS was thinking of the SXE400 vs RO90!!! No personal experience with the 450
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-21-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Metabo makes some high-quality grinders but the Metabo random orbit sander I had was inferior to Festool. It's a "good enough" sander for many things but not one I would purchase. It's a good one to lend others when they want to borrow a random orbit sander.

My father REALLY liked my RO125, but the price tag has 2 more zeros on it than he's willing to spend

He likes a Makita for $80 that looks decent (https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BO5041), but I was just wondering if the Metabo might be somewhat comperable to the Rotex. It's just for occasional use "around the farm"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    My father REALLY liked my RO125, but the price tag has 2 more zeros on it than he's willing to spend

He likes a Makita for $80 that looks decent (https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BO5041), but I was just wondering if the Metabo might be somewhat comperable to the Rotex. It's just for occasional use "around the farm"...
    The question is does he need a simple ROS or will his uses lend themselves to a dual mode sander? "Around the farm" sounds more like he needs the gear driven mode, while the Metabo may be good, I don't know, the Bosch 1250 DEVS is a decent Festool alternative but none of the gear driven dual modes will be cheap.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That sander looks nothing like a Rotex. It does look like the regular festool pad sander though. If you need/want to save money, over the Rotex you will need to settle for less of a sander in my opinion.

The sander that is very comparable to the Rotex is Bosch 1250DEVS. I had the Bosch first and then "upgraded" to the Rotex only to find out that there was not much of a difference between the two. Only reason I still have the Rotex is that unfortunately before really using the Rotex enough to see the difference I had already sold the Bosch and it was more than 30 days from the purchase date for Rotex. When I had the Bosch it was made in Germany or Switzerland, in my opinion 99% as good as the Rotex.

The Metabo you show is not a gear driven sander, it just has two different orbit sizes. The larger orbit is a faster but not anywhere near the gear driven mode on the Rotex / Bosch.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 01-23-2017 at 10:52 AM.

I had an earlier version of that sander for years. It has the two orbit sizes, which didn't seem to make much difference for what I did. It was a good sander but heavy. I sold it when I got a Deros, which is expensive but a lot lighter and better.

I have two of them. It is a nice sander, but nothing special. Admittedly I have never used a Festool, but understand they are ​special.

I think I read somewhere that Metabo is owned by Makita? That could be heresy and lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Metabo is owned by Makita? That could be heresy and lies.
    No, Metabo was purchased lin late 2016 by Hitachi.

Hitachi. I knew Makita didn't sound correct.