Thread: Stanley #65 & #18 1/4 Block Planes.

Stanley #65 & #18 1/4 Block Planes.

This the last of the threads I will be posting on the range of block planes I have in my collection.

Stanley #18 1/4; (1952 - 1958), identical in appearance to the more common #18. The only difference is this model has a fixed mouth opening. It's short duration of manufacture suggest it wasn't an overly popular choice within the market.

Stanley #65; (1898 - 1969) in Patrick Leach's opinion, This block plane is one of the finest planes that Stanley ever made, in my opinion. It certainly proved to be a real crowd pleasure in the user market. Unfortunately, many of them suffer cracking along the extreme ends of the bed, or chipping along the leading edge of the bed, right behind the iron. Examine the extremes of the bed very carefully to note whether there is any damage - it's often hard to notice. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm

The feature of knuckle joint lobster back on the #65 lasted from 1911-1963, then in 1964 it was reverted back to the use of the lever-cam design. My guess, based on the condition of this plane, it was most likely manufactured sometime between 1960-1963.

Both of these block planes have just had their soles re-flattened, and the blades re-honed to a sharp edge.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-21-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Stewie, the early versions were dated or marked ...

These are not among my favourite block planes as they are very wide and less comfortable to hold in one hand (and I have broad hands). They are otherwise good workers ... but then most block planes will plane face grain well if the blade is sharp. The real test is end grain and chamfering.

I am not sure what the attraction for the #65 and #18 is among many on the fori. I suspect that they have a little mystique owing to relative rarity (not that they are rare; this is statement of relativity). I would consider the #60 1/2 to be the best block plane made by Stanley.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-22-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Nice refurbish, Stewie. I must say, that all nickel look is really growing on me...very classy actually. It does seem that post war Stanley block planes fair better than the post war bench planes. Going to have to keep my eye out for one of the lobster models. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Phil; I should make mention that the resource material I am using, STANLEY TOOLS, Guide To Identity & Value (885 pages 2nd Edition) by John Walter, does not cover listings past Type 17 (1947 -1950).

I should also make special mention, that regardless of the era these Stanley Block planes were manufactured, with the correct amount of fettling, they still perform extremely well, and will meet the demands placed upon them by the modern woodworker.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-22-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I should also make special mention, that regardless of the era these Stanley Block planes were manufactured, with the correct amount of fettling, they still perform extremely well, and will meet the demands placed upon them by the modern woodworker.
    I concur. I have a #18 and a #65 that have been my main users for a few years. They are very well fettled and perform very well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.