Thread: Lacquer over Danish Oil ??

Lacquer over Danish Oil ??

The other day I noticed that on the back of the Watco Danish Oil can reads the following:

"If a topcoat such as a polyurethane is desired, allow Watco Danish Oil to dry 72 hours before applying."

This surprised me as I would have thought that such a thing would have required an intermediary coat of shellac. The directions state otherwise. So now I am wondering about lacquer. Can lacquer be applied directly to adequately dried Danish Oil without the use of shellac?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I would try it first before using it on a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I would try it first before using it on a project.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. Was just hoping someone could comment from personal experience.
    Regards,

Glen

I have used watco as a stain and top coated with lacquer and conversion varnish for over 30 years. Just make Sure the watcois dry
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; 01-22-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I have used watco as a stain and top coated with lacquer and conversion varnish for over 30 years. Just make Sure the watcois dry
    Thanks, neighbor! I'm glad to hear that it's possible!
    Regards,

Glen

I use it on most pieces to pop the grain and follow in 24 hours with SS or lacquer.

After the equivalent of 3 days at 70 degrees, you can top coat with poly, varnish, lacquer, or conversion varnish with no problems. I never use water borne finishes, so I can't tell you about those. I too like to use watco as a quick wipe on wipe off conditioner prior to lacquer. Looks really rich over cherry, walnut, and big leaf maple burl.

The key is Danish oil has polyurethane in it so the usually adage is do not mix finishes such as poly with lacquer. That is the reasoning behind it. But if you are doing a one coat of danish oil to pop grain as opposed to just boiled linseed oil then the build up is not great and the surface is not totally covered with poly. I have used Watco Danish oil as a grain popper and let dry for at least 24 hours and usually longer. I have top coated with both Nitro and water based lacquers. So yes it is possible as long as you do not do multiple coats of Danish oil. If you do that then you need to separate the film finishes. This is just my opinions and experience.
    John T.

I've used water based poly over tried and true Danish oil on lots of furniture projects. My daughter reacts to solvents, so I don't use solvent (other than water) based finishes. It's nice to be able to use them without having to to wear a mask and space suit, too. :-)

Im sure it would work on a turning. Rub the tried an true out thoroughly. Or it won't dry.
    Paul