Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Maker Disappointments

Tool Maker Disappointments

Over the years some makers have not met my expectations. This is not to say that the tools they produce are not good, but the delays in shipping, and probably more important, their communication is lacking.

Last edited by Eric Brown; 01-22-2017 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Removed offending text

Thanks for sending me on a google search for "Burnheart". He has created some very, very nice and extremely (to me) interesting items to look at and read about. I am afraid if I were to actually hold one of his rulers or that sector gizmo in my hand, I would reach for my wallet with the other hand. Impulse buy? Sure, but sometimes it works.
    David

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Eric Brown;2649850]Over the years some makers have not met my expectations. This is not to say that the tools they produce are not good, but the delays in shipping, and probably more important, their communication is lacking. I have given up on him and bought the Lee Valley version instead. Not as pretty but it is functional.

My take on it is:
    I have the Veritas saw file holder. I think it is a gorgeous tool, It does what I want it to do.

The old saying is "Pretty is as pretty does"

"Is that too much to ask?"

I can be a very demanding customer - I want what I pay for and I frequent businesses that meet both my quality and customer service expectations. However, I understand that I can't realistically expect a one or two man shop to provide the same level of communication that I expect of a firm with 50 or 100 employees. I remind myself that that one guy is: buying material, talking to machine shops/suppliers, advertizing (shows, demos, websites, etc), making the tool(s), writing out checks to pay his bills, processing orders, answering the phone, answering emails, etc.

Eric, I feel your frustration. And granted, some small shops are better about responding to questions than others. But when I buy from a very small company, I adjust my expectations for communication, wait list management and delivery date downward just a bit (never on the quality of course). Some of these guys are struggling to handle it all. The ones that figure it out will flourish. The ones who don't will reduce (or stop) sales. But I try not to be too hard on them, because running a small business can be tough. If it bugs me enough, I quietly send my order elsewhere.

YMMV,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Update: so I tried emailing again and within a couple of hours had a refund.

I understand about small or one man shops and am fairly patient. There is only one that has been a bust for me. Gave Blackburn saws a deposit for a dovetail saw in June of 2014.
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 01-22-2017 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Update

My point...

I will be silent now. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 01-22-2017 at 5:37 PM.

You're definitely entitled to your pique, Eric. Enjoy it.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Im with Eric.

I have suffered major disapointments with large machine purchases and orders totaling upwards of 20K.

To then have the contrasting experiences such as Badaxe Toolworks, Lie Neilsen, Festool or Sawstop offer makes anything less intolerable.

Im a carpenter by trade. I learnt a long long time ago that i must 100% meet the customers expections. If i dont i can 100% expect to have a hard time getting payed. A even bigger consiquence in both the short and long term is staying busy.

As a result i have learnt to never ever commit to anything i can not without a doubt live up to. It is not alwys easy amd often times i work till the wee hours of the morning for free. BUt i always come through for my client, employer or whomever and i never make it their problem. As a result i am always busy and its been a long long time since i have heard anything but rave reviews of my work.

Im not for slamming a small business but im not against telling it how it is so others can make edjucated decisions. That is the stardard i have been held to and what i have come to expect of others.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-22-2017 at 5:29 PM.

Tony; have you kept in contact with Blackburn Tools. Did you make a formal request for your deposit back.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Tony; have you kept in contact with Blackburn Tools. Did you make a formal request for your deposit back.

regards Stewie;
    I waited the six months at the time I was it was taking to get to the production window so that was past the time that PayPal would have honored the request for my money back by my understanding. After waiting the six months, I sent several emails over a 3 - 4 month period before giving up. I'd forgotten about it until recently so I probably should try again.

regards Stewie;
    Frankly, he shouldn't need to. When I had my small business, (and I'm really disorganized) we never let stuff like that happen. If we did, we would expect stuff like this to happen.

And im a fan of Blackburn.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I handle these things quite simply. I let my wallet do the talking. If the item cannot be had elsewhere then you must decide how much you want it. I try desperately not to but, I have had to make clients wait an extra month or so, more than once, for a dresser or other large or complicated piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

And there is nothing wrong with that provided that is the stage you set from the beggining.

Its a different story when you sing a different tune from the begining then can not come through.

Or in the case you are up front such and such will be 4-6 months out but then you drop off the radar and font return phone calls or e-mail. That is just dishonest.

QUOTE=glenn bradley;2650066]I handle these things quite simply. I let my wallet do the talking. If the item cannot be had elsewhere then you must decide how much you want it. I try desperately not to but, I have had to make clients wait an extra month or so, more than once, for a dresser or other large or complicated piece.[/QUOTE]

regards Stewie;
    I tried emailing again and got a response and refund quickly. Another thing about small makers is that they go through rough times and growing pains.

Tony, suggest you call or email again. Isaac is a stand up guy.