Thread: Kreg Clamp Vise & Kreg Bench Clamp Plates

Kreg Clamp Vise & Kreg Bench Clamp Plates

Does anyone have a Kreg Clamp Vise? If so do you like it, would you buy again?

Kreg Bench Clamps- I have some I use on my Kreg Clamp Table but am thinking of adding some Kreg Clamp plates to a new work surface I am making along with the Kreg Clamp Vise discussed above. Do you have any Clamp plates and are they usefull?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, Lee Valley is making posts for the Kreg Clamps that can go into 3/4" dog holes or 20mm MFT dog holes, depending on what size is needed. I'd probably pick that method over installing a track or plate for mounting the clamps because it's more flexible...kinda like traditional hold-downs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    George, Lee Valley is making posts for the Kreg Clamps that can go into 3/4" dog holes or 20mm MFT dog holes, depending on what size is needed. I'd probably pick that method over installing a track or plate for mounting the clamps because it's more flexible...kinda like traditional hold-downs.
    I just looked at those Jim. Won't the holes in the bench get worn oversize with repeated insertions and removals of the posts. The ones for the MFT seem to be a better idea since the have a knob on the bottom to clamp to the bottom of the table surface.

It also appears that you would need a pretty thick top to make the clamp posts work.
    George

George I just got some of the kreg vise plates (vertical plates not ones meant for the top). Trying to figure out the best way to mount it. It says 1-2" top otherwise you need to make a relief. I do love the kreg hd track and klamps.

Mike I have the klamp table and really like it especially for assembling face frames. I an considering the klamp vise because I do not have a regular WW bench, no room in my small shop so I am making a small bench top that I can set on two saw horses with the clamp vise. I need to be able to hold some stock for routing mortises for loose tenon joints for an upcoming project. I have the mortise pal and plan to use it for these mortises.

Mike did you buy just the vise plates or the complete klamp vise? I have found some sites that claim to have just the plates. I have some of the klamps for the klamp table that I could use.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-22-2017 at 7:22 PM.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Won't the holes in the bench get worn oversize with repeated insertions and removals of the posts.
    No more than they would with traditional hold-fasts (which is negligible) and hard maple doesn't displace very easily... One other thing...clamps (or hold-fasts) shouldn't ever be used with more force than required to actually do the job and that's often less than might at first seem to be needed. Keeping that in mind also helps preserve the dog holes.
    --

Thanks Jim. I am making an inexpensive top to place on two sawhorses as I do not have room in my small shop for a permanent bench. The top would likely be made from melamine board so that would likely wear more rapidly than a solid maple top.
    George

The MFT 20mm version might be workable then, George, but whatever works best for you is what you should do!
    --

George, I made a Klamp table (from tracks and four klamps). It is great for working with face frames. It is so easy, I forgot what it used to be like, trying to keep the pieces aligned while screwing and gluing. I would highly recommend them.

Like others I also have a home made clamp table with the front and two sides using Kreg track and the Automaxx Clamps. When I want to clamp vertically I use a Moxon vise on the clamp table. Used the BenchCrafted kit to make that. I did think about drilling a set of holes into the surface of the table but, as I have drawers underneath, just seemed like it would be a pain to keep clean

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Does anyone have a Kreg Clamp Vise? If so do you like it, would you buy again?

Kreg Bench Clamps- I have some I use on my Kreg Clamp Table but am thinking of adding some Kreg Clamp plates to a new work surface I am making along with the Kreg Clamp Vise discussed above. Do you have any Clamp plates and are they usefull?

Thanks
    I have both. The kreg vice has replaced an old broken down screw vice and I really like it. Just hold and clamp and with automax this is fast. I got the small plate and apart from having to make a rectangular hole (I used a chisel) it is so convenient in holding pieces for sanding routing etc.

Years ago I attached a Kreg plate with the keyhole to my workbench and used it quite often. Especially for holding parts attached with pocket screws and holding pieces for mortising with my DF700. For larger assemblies I would take out couple of saw horses lay a sheet of ply on top. I've had interest in a new product by Kreg - the Mobile Project Center but it's been $160 + shipping at most places. I know it was still over priced but I picked one up at my Menard's for $130 a couple weeks ago. I've used it quite a bit on a garden bench project. I'm really liking it. I used it for layout, cutting, cutting domino mortises, sanding, and assembly. It was especially efficient to assemble the back of the bench that had 28 dominos to glue in. I was able to clamp the 6' long bottom rail to the workbench and install the top rail and hammer it in place. My workbench is more a desk for me so nice to be able to have something to position in the center of my garage/shop.

Mike