Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Iles Bench Chisels

Ashley Iles Bench Chisels

I recently bought some new chisels. After looking at a number of options (Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, new Stanleys, Narex), I decided to go with the Ashley Iles Mark 2 bench chisels. At about $30 each, they are not cheap, but are about 1/2 the cost of Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen, and 1/3 the cost of brands I did not even seriously consider like the Blue Spruce. I don't have a large supply of vintage chisels where I live, or I might have gone that route.

The closest comparable in price seems to be the new Stanleys at about $20 each. Although the fact that Lee Valley is now selling them almost convinced me to give the Stanley socket chisels a try, I just couldn't figure out what the steel is. I have handled the Narex before, and for whatever reason, they did not really appeal to me (although you can't beat the price, and a number of people including George Wilson have indicated that they are good steel).

At the end of the day I went with the Iles because they are O1 steel and half the price of the Lee Valley. If I could figure out what the new Stanleys are, or if Lie Nielsen still made chisels in O1, I might have gone a different direction, because I like the socket style a little more then I do the tang.

I have seen a number of comments about the "fit and finish" on the Iles being poor, or about the steel being poor (chipping, "crumbling", etc.). Having used them now for a couple of days, I am not seeing any of that. Most of the reviews I could find were old, so maybe they used to have a problem and fixed it. I don't know. The British gurus I could find comments from apparently like them. Since Tools for Working Wood and The Best Things both sell them, I figured they must be pretty decent despite the bad reviews that I see floating around out there.

On the ones I got at any rate, the steel seems to be excellent, and takes a very nice edge. If there is anything to complain about in the way the chisels were ground and finished, I am not seeing it. The lands are very thin, and well done (no sharp edges). They came ground at 25 degrees, and the edges so far seem to be holding up well (I honed them at about 30). It took about five minutes with each of them to have them paring end grain nicely.

The handles are simple and functional. The ferrules were a little loose when they arrived (not falling off, but you could move them with finger pressure). They have now tightened up as they acclimate to my shop. The handles appear to have an oil finish. I don't really know what it is, but it has a similar feel to a couple of handles I have refinished with boiled linseed oil.

Overall, I think they are really nice chisels at a good price. I don't own the premium chisels, so cannot do a direct comparison, and perhaps there is something in them that I am missing (other than the premium steels, which I was not looking for), but I don't know what more I would ask for in a chisel.

If somebody were looking for a really good chisel, but does not want to spend the money needed for the Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen, I would not hesitate to recommend the Iles, particularly since both of the US suppliers have solid reputations for service.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I recently bought some new chisels. After looking at a number of options (Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, new Stanleys, Narex), I decided to go with the Ashley Iles Mark 2 bench chisels. At about $30 each, they are not cheap, but are about 1/2 the cost of Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen, and 1/3 the cost of brands I did not even seriously consider like the Blue Spruce. I don't have a large supply of vintage chisels where I live, or I might have gone that route.

The closest comparable in price seems to be the new Stanleys at about $20 each. Although the fact that Lee Valley is now selling them almost convinced me to give the Stanley socket chisels a try, I just couldn't figure out what the steel is. I have handled the Narex before, and for whatever reason, they did not really appeal to me (although you can't beat the price, and a number of people including George Wilson have indicated that they are good steel).

At the end of the day I went with the Iles because they are O1 steel and half the price of the Lee Valley. If I could figure out what the new Stanleys are, or if Lie Nielsen still made chisels in O1, I might have gone a different direction, because I like the socket style a little more then I do the tang.

I have seen a number of comments about the "fit and finish" on the Iles being poor, or about the steel being poor (chipping, "crumbling", etc.). Having used them now for a couple of days, I am not seeing any of that. Most of the reviews I could find were old, so maybe they used to have a problem and fixed it. I don't know. The British gurus I could find comments from apparently like them. Since Tools for Working Wood and The Best Things both sell them, I figured they must be pretty decent despite the bad reviews that I see floating around out there.

On the ones I got at any rate, the steel seems to be excellent, and takes a very nice edge. If there is anything to complain about in the way the chisels were ground and finished, I am not seeing it. The lands are very thin, and well done (no sharp edges). They came ground at 25 degrees, and the edges so far seem to be holding up well (I honed them at about 30). It took about five minutes with each of them to have them paring end grain nicely.

The handles are simple and functional. The ferrules were a little loose when they arrived (not falling off, but you could move them with finger pressure). They have now tightened up as they acclimate to my shop. The handles appear to have an oil finish. I don't really know what it is, but it has a similar feel to a couple of handles I have refinished with boiled linseed oil.

Overall, I think they are really nice chisels at a good price. I don't own the premium chisels, so cannot do a direct comparison, and perhaps there is something in them that I am missing (other than the premium steels, which I was not looking for), but I don't know what more I would ask for in a chisel.

If somebody were looking for a really good chisel, but does not want to spend the money needed for the Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen, I would not hesitate to recommend the Iles, particularly since both of the US suppliers have solid reputations for service.
    I know I've seen several of our British friends praise them. Keep us apprised won't you.

Blog Entries
    I have Ashley Iles mortise chisels. I value them greatly. I would expect the bench chisel to be good.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Nicholas,

I have the Lee Valley, the Lie Nielsen, along with the "new" Stanley chisels. I also have a wall loaded with many of the old reclaimed from rust chisels and more medium high dollar Japanese chisels than I should. With all those chisels to pick from unless there is a special need such as needing a long handled paring chisel 9 time out of 10 I will pick up one of the Ashley Iles bench chisels. For the simple reason they work, they fit and are comfortable to use, the iron gets sharp easily and holds a good edge. The AI chisels are one of the best deals in woodworking....You did good and there is no reason to look at other chisels with envy.

ken

Ken, thanks for the comment. Believe me, I am not looking anywhere with envy. I am very pleased with them.

Hello Nicholas,

I have had the AI round back dovetailing chisels for 5+ years. I recently bought some japanese chisels for heavier benchwork with a plan to sell the AIs. However, I'm doubting that will actually happen because I like the AIs so much.

Congrats on your new purchase and I'm sure they'll serve you well for years.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have a single AI chisel - 1/4". I picked it up for small dovetail work as my old 1/4" chisel was too thick. I like it so much I am going to slowly buy more

I have a set of AIs that I like very much, I have LV and LN chisels as well. I am giving the AIs to my older son now that I have re-handled them.

I did not like the feel of the handles. But overall,. I think they are excellent chisel. This is not an AI chisel, but the handles are very similar. This handle shape allows you to choke up on the chisel if needed. Your little finger rests behind the first knuckle of the handle when you choke up.

.Custom Handle.jpg

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I bought a couple and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I started with vintage but found it was pretty hit or miss on the steel quality even from known brands. I have decent set of Japanese chisels and the AI chisels sharpen just as sharp and the edge seems to last just fine. The handle and ferrule are OK, but I'd prefer the lower price with great steel. I can always re-handle them if I want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have Ashley Iles mortise chisels. I value them greatly. I would expect the bench chisel to be good.
    Actually, they are Ray Iles mortise chisels. They are massive pig stickers. When you grip one, you know you have a chisel in your hand.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-25-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Actually, they are Ray Iles mortise chisels. They are massive pig stickers. When you grip one, you know you have a chisel in your hand.
    I don't have any of those, but I have a pair of the old Sorby chisels. They are fantastic.

I recently did the same as you did, in my quest to upgrade my decades old Marples blue chisels. My experience with the AI Mark 2 chisels is the same as yours. I think they're excellent, and could not ask for more. I was even compelled enough to go in on a set of their "American Pattern" butt chisel (great for chopping work when fine dovetailing), and two of the roundback dovetail chisels (beautiful for paring)

Chisels are highly personal. Some chisels feel very good in one craftsman's hands and not in another's. Technical comparison of steel properties, and other specs is important, but I think the feel in your personal hands and working style is important also. I once ordered a set of the LV PM-V11 chisels and sent them back. They were functionally superb, but just didn't feel right for me.

Blog Entries
    Chisels are highly personal. Some chisels feel very good in one craftsman's hands and not in another's. Technical comparison of steel properties, and other specs is important, but I think the feel in your personal hands and working style is important also. I once ordered a set of the LV PM-V11 chisels and sent them back. They were functionally superb, but just didn't feel right for me.
    This is true for so many tools. That is why many folks recommend getting the tools in your hands before buying. It is also why my preference is for socket chisels. No matter what shape handle comes with the chisel, a bit of time at my lathe and it has a handle custom fit to my hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is true for so many tools. That is why many folks recommend getting the tools in your hands before buying. It is also why my preference is for socket chisels. No matter what shape handle comes with the chisel, a bit of time at my lathe and it has a handle custom fit to my hand.

jtk
    I don't disagree with any of that Jim, but with old chisels being hard to find depending on where you live, and the Lie Nielsens where they are, it can be hard to find a quality socket chisel at a decent price.

The tang style can be rehandled too I think, but it would be a little more effort. I am happy with what came on them. They are very simple and functional (they are not the same ones shown in Allan's photo above).

I think "try before you buy" is good advice, but it is a big world out there. I certainly am not going to drive 500 miles to hold chisels in my hand. The good news is that most of the dealers have good return policies, and I think if you bought the thing and literally held it in your hand and decided it was not going to work for you, they would all take them back no questions asked.

In any event, I just wanted folks to know that there is a pretty good chisel out there that doesn't run $70-$100 each. You can't get your pick of A2 or PMV-11, and you can't customize the handles like I gather you can with the Blue Spruce, but they are really nice chisels.

Blog Entries
    Good or not, if they are not available . . . . . ..

If the Lie Nielsen chisels are too expensive for you, the Narex chisels are worth looking at.