Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC kits

CNC kits

I'm 63 and looking to get into something new for when I retire.

I feel that I have a fairly well equipped home shop (unisaw, panel saw, shaper, horizontal & vertical router tables, planers, drum sander etc.) and think that adding a cnc, laser or both would be the way to go. The folks on the laser forum suggested cnc would be a better fit so here I am.

I'll likely go with Nema 34, but after looking at the kit prices, I can't see any good reason to spend a fortune on a pre-built name brand and I don't want anything made in China. Fine Line Automation looks good and they are just 4 hours away. Can you recommend any other well built sources right here in the USA?

Which is better - linear screw or rack & pinion and shouldn't there be a means to keep either of these dust free or is having dust collection adequate? Also do you keep the unit covered when its not in use? I have a dust collector but it doesn't catch it all.

Space is currently limited and the largest I could go would be either 2' x 4' or possible 4' x 4'. I would actually prefer a 2' x 6' or 8' and suspect I can do that with longer rails. Anything larger will have to wait until I sell my business which will free up a large garage.

Thanks

Ron,
    I am in the same boat as you (and about the same age (62) and with a full hobby shop as well). I had been thinking about a 2x4 or 4x4 CNC. I am interested in a turnkey system since I am more interested in using the machine rather than building it. I am also limited in space and would prefer an "expandable" CNC when needed. I had been looking closely at Camasters Stinger, but am also enamored by Shopbot's Buddy, which has a Powerstick system that allows you to expand the length of your work table. I am anxious to hear the feedback you receive. Cheers, bob

Carbide 3D does a line of machines which are made in the U.S. (ob. discl. I used to be an inveterate volunteer, then freelanced, and now work as part-time off-site tech support).

- Nomad 883 Pro --- small enclosed machine with an 8"x8"x3" work area --- typically used for non-ferrous metals and intricate 3D wood and plastic parts, esp. prototyping --- uses a lead screw

- Shapeoko 3 --- available in 3 sizes, stock (~16" x ~16" x ~3" work area), XL (~16" x ~33" work area) and XXL (~33" x 33") --- uses belts.

Lead screws are prone to whipping at large sizes unless designed to prevent that, rack and pinion adds to expense --- the belts the Shapeoko line uses are a cost-saving compromise which work surprisingly well.

The Nomad includes MeshCAM, a nice 3D CAM package, all of the machines allow one to use Carbide Create, a CAD/CAM tool which will import a DXF or SVG and do 2.5D designs, and Carbide Motion which is used to communicate with and control the machines.

Both of the machines (and most of the hobby machines) use Grbl, an opensource program for G-code, which is the industry-standard language for controlling machines. Grbl is intentionally limited, intended only for use with CAD/CAM generated G-code, but works amazingly well for the size processor it runs on. Pretty much any CAD/CAM app can be used with them, and the Shapeoko wiki makes an effort to list them all.

I also volunteer on the subreddit /r/hobbycnc where there is a list of CNC machines on a wiki page.

The Nomad is incredibly nifty (I just got one and have been working on tutorials and stuff w/ it), and I think the Shapeoko 3 line represents the sweet spot in terms of price / performance, but I am cannot be considered to be impartial. Glad to answer any questions you have! Here, or in a PM.

Here's a project which I did on my Shapeoko 3 a while back, which would be even easier on the Nomad:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-H-O-Studley
    Last edited by William Adams; 01-22-2017 at 6:10 PM.

I was typing something so I'll do a quick summary.

1. R&P vs Ball screws have been discussed to death. General consensus is R&P is the best bang for the buck. Lose a little accuracy but they're cheaper, faster, and more dust friendly.

2. If you're just doing this for fun, you might be able to get away with NEMA23 motors which will save a decent chunk of change.

3. Buy a Chinese spindle. A 3.25HP router is equivalent to a 1hp Spindle. When you add up all the costs, the spindle is worth the extra few bucks.

4. I wouldn't recommend FLA based on their past. Several years ago they were completely unreliable. They may be more reliable now but best I can tell they're still using CNC RouterParts basic rail system.

5. If you're looking for a better than decent kit, CNC Router Parts is arguably the best option. They have 3 different rails systems. The basic/original is cold rolled steel and skate bearings. It works but is less than industrial. They offer a V-rail setup that they have basically phased out. Not sure why but their new Pro with the real profile linear rail seems to be worth the extra money.

6. Don't forget to add up all the costs. The machine is only a portion of the costs. When you add in the control PC, software, dust collection, bits, wire management, etc it adds up to a decent chunk of change.

7. The base is important. Weight and rigidity makes a difference in cut quality and speed.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I'm the same age and have limited space but went with the Fine Line Automation Saturn 2x4 and posted the build here - 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router. I can tell you it is a very solid and rigid machine.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thanks but don't want anything that small.

I have dust collection piped thru my shop, an extra computer and CorelDraw X4. Also have everything I need to fabricate a base out of angle, etc. and a sheet metal shop to make the control cabinets. I know of several companies selling extruded aluminum and may seriously consider building the base & gantry then buying the motion parts, wire management, R & P, spindle etc. Also have a lot of 1/2" Whiteside and Freud bits that may work.

What can you tell me about the ones Baileigh sells. The reviews are excellent and they have decent prices.

Ron,

I own three Baileigh machines but not their CNC Router. Although Baileigh is a bit on the high side price wise they make very nice machines. Obviously they are imported but someone at their shop must be checking and adjusting their machines before they ship. All three of my Baileigh machines came to me in perfect condition, adjusted and ready to run.

I haven't seen any information about their CNC Router or any details about their control system which would be of primary interest to me if I was considering their router. The machine itself I would expect to be the same quality as the ones I own now. If you are serious about their router call Shane Henderson for information. Shane was their contact representative here when they were a sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Thanks but don't want anything that small.
    You mentioned 2x4 or 4x4; he offers a 4x4 so that's why I referenced my build.
    David

I believe the too small was directed at me --- I didn't catch that it was a hard requirement in his first message, mea culpa, and thought maybe the machines would be of interest to Bob Falk (second poster).

Even if the machines are too small, the wiki / community documentation may be of interest, what isn't related to working around limits in machine size/rigidity should apply to any machine.

The Shopbot buddy comes in 32 wide and you can get different power sticks

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    I believe the too small was directed at me --- I didn't catch that it was a hard requirement in his first message, mea culpa, and thought maybe the machines would be of interest to Bob Falk (second poster).

Even if the machines are too small, the wiki / community documentation may be of interest, what isn't related to working around limits in machine size/rigidity should apply to any machine.
    Ah, my bad... There was no 'quote' included and since it came right after my post I read it differently.
    David

Sorry not used to posting on this type of forum. I'll be sure to direct the replies from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    I'm the same age and have limited space but went with the Fine Line Automation Saturn 2x4 and posted the build here - 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router. I can tell you it is a very solid and rigid machine.
    How long have you had yours and have you had any problems with it?