Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New G0766 issues

New G0766 issues

This lathe is a behemoth. It arrived in perfect condition the crate didn't have a scratch on it and everything was packed impeccably. I managed to get it set up within an hour with ease. It has a lot of metal and everything feels solid. I have no doubt it's going to be a great lathe if I could get it started. After I got the power run to it I went to turn it on and I could hear the inverter come on in the back but then it shut off after the RPM display blinked all zeros. I did a basic check to make sure there were no loose wires or anything that I could see that was immediately wrong. If I press the green power button in it keeps doing the same thing. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone faced this problem before? I'm sure Grizzly will be able to resolve the problem on Monday but I'm dying to get this thing running.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Have you tried unplugging it or if it's direct wired, turning the breaker off? In either case, leave it off for at least 60 seconds and then reenergize it. My PM3520B inverter has power applied all the time unless I unplug it or flip off the wall breaker for it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yeah I tried that and I tried checking the breaker I even tested another machine on that outlet to ensure everything was running fine.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

4. The G0766 has a safety feature built in. You need to have the foward/reverse switch set to neutral... the straight up vertical setting. Then hit the green button, turn the foward/reverse switch to foward, then turn up the speed dial. That requirement prevents you having a large unbalanced piece mounted, and turning the lathe on while the speed dial is turned up high, which could cause severe injury or death should it fly off the lathe.

It is an extra safety step built in. When I first unpacked my lathe and set it up I thought something was wrong, but figured it out. The G0766 is a fine machine!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just got off the phone with tech support and they are unsure of how to fix the problem but they are sending me a new on/off switch to see if that gets it running. But the tech didn't seem real confident and wasn't completely familiar with the machine. As always they were nice and I am sure they will make it right eventually.
    -Poe

I am skeptical that the problem is the on-off switch. You may want to do some trouble shooting to speed up the entire repair process. The on-off emergency switch has a relay inside of it. With power applied, when you press in the green button, it stays in the on position. If you are not plugged in, you'll notice that the green button goes in and out with finger pressure but doesn't stay in the on position. Because you described the rpm indicator stays on (but the motor doesn't run) suggests that the on-off switch is supplying power to something.

If you are comfortable taking voltage measurements with the power on, you may want to probe the 220 volt wall plug and then on-off switch. It switches (as you would expect) both hot sides of the line.

Familiarize yourself with the electrical diagram in the manual (perhaps page 42). The power goes to the on-off switch with a white and a black wire. The voltage from the white to the black wire at the bottom of the switch should be the line voltage (around 230 or 240 volts AC) when the switch is pushed in. Then probe the voltage from white to black at the top of the switch. It should be the same.

If you pull the cover off of the power inverter box, you should be able to locate the black and white (and green) wires supplying the power. It would be good to check these also. Perhaps a wire got loose in transit.

BTW, if you pull the cover off of the invertor, you should be able to read the error code. That may go a long way to correctly diagnosing the problem.

8. From your pic on the GGMG, it looks like you have the wrong wall receptacle. You need a 240V Nema 6-15 or Nema 6-20 receptacle, and your wiring needs to be both black and white wires hot, and bare copper to ground.

On the inverter it displays "Lu" when I hit the on button.
    -Poe

The outlet in the picture is a regular outlet the true outlet is in the corner that can't be seen and it is a 6-15 on a 20amp breaker.
    -Poe

When I push in the green power button should it click and stay in? My green power button will not stay in and it doesn't click.
    -Poe

12. Does sound like a faulty switch...my green button does click and stay in until the red switch is pressed.

I believe that the Lu error code stands for "low voltage".

When you press in the green power on button it should stick in. The relay in the switch causes it to latch. If you hit the emergency button it breaks the circuit and the relay drops out.

If the green button pops out, then it is (probably) either a bad switch or you don't have 230 vac to your machine.

Have you used a voltmeter at the receptacle?

OK so I owe an apology to you all and especially Grizzly. I feel like a complete moron! The lathe wouldn't start or run because I didn't supply the proper power. In my haste to run an outlet for the lathe I failed to connect both poles. Along with wiring an outlet for the lathe I also put in new LED's for the shop and other outlets for hand tools and when I was at the box I wired the lathe like the other circuits and connected one pole and the the other wires to the neutral and ground bus. I figured it out last night and couldn't believe it! I connected the other pole and its running perfectly. Wow this thing is amazing! I have only turned on my midi lathe with a 10" swing and no variable speed so this lathe feels like I went from a Kia to a Ferrari! I turned some new handles for the banjo and the tailstock out of curly maple so I could acclimate to the variable speed and get comfortable with the controls. I filed down the spindle shoulder so my chuck would go on as well.
    -Poe

Thanks for the feedback, James. Enjoy your new lathe. Post some pictures of your finished work.