Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

23 Jan 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    My oncall duty is now done and I'm a free man once again.
    No woodworking for me this past weekend but I am making plans on making those chair parts to repair the broken chair that my customer brought to me a while back. I'll be asking around about how to best come up with a close match on the finish once I get that far.
    It's been wet, rainy, and warm/cool here and I'm way past ready for some sunshine. Foggy, dark, dreary, over-cast....I'm ready for sun and clear skies for a change.

I hope that this finds each of you doing well, safe, and prosperous. That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Finally got my first test drawer/pullout completed using a box joint jig I made based on William Ng's design. Turned out great in the end. Got all my drawer front & side pieces cut from 1/2" BB ply and the bottoms cut out of 1/4" BB ply. Today I'll start cutting the box joints in earnest. Took me 3 tries to make the box joint jig. I'd cut a joint, measure the pin, and adjust. My measurements were all over the place. Finally figured out I had a tiny bit of slop in my dado sled which I'd built earlier last week when we had a couple of rainy days. I used hardwood runners and tried to select some with vertical grain but clearly the moisture we had was a factor. Anyway, I just apply a little pressure to the left of the blade each time I cut a joint and now everything is consistent. Live and learn.

'Glad you've been sprung from "on call" jail, Dennis!

I had minimal time in the shop this weekend, but that was because I was working on getting the ceiling repairs completed in the kitchen and powder room and the associated painting. I did use the shop for crafting the molding at the wall/ceiling juncture in the powder room which included coping the joints. This is the one room in the house that has a "crown" and that's simply to make it easier should I have to open it up again in the future for plumbing reasons...which I truly hope isn't in my remaining lifetime. Twice is enough! This time around I kept it simple...3/4" quarter round...which I had already in "inventory" which meant no additional cost.

Next weekend, aside from a little more paining work, I should be able to get back into the shop and on to coming projects. Most are small; some picture frames, some beekeeping woodenware, etc., and maybe a small desk for my older daughter. I haven't decided what the next major project will be yet...there are several in competition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The weekends are always too short to get everything done that's on my to-do list. I didn't get to do any actual bending yet, but did manage to at least complete the steam box and form that I'll be using to create rims (think of it as oversized edge banding) around each of the 5 shelf platforms on the cat tree I'm building for my daughter's upcoming birthday (24th). The box is made from 5/8" ACX with a 5/4" cedar bottom. I've got a new Earlex steam generator that will serve as the engine to drive this oven. Around the form, I'll be bending 1/4" x 1-1/4" x 36" ash strips which should be no big deal, but it'll serve as a good starting point for other projects that I'm planning, including a couple of bent back chairs for our kitchen counter.

steamBox.jpg

Finally got a three day weekend to work in the shop... Completed the build-out and installation of my LN twin-screw vice on the workbench that I have been working on for over a year now... I completed the tail vice a couple of months ago.

Now on to the tool tray, securing the side skirt pieces, and planing the whole thing and the top will be done. Then I will only have the under-bench tool cabinets to build...

I'll finish it one of these days!

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Stockdale; 01-23-2017 at 4:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stockdale View Post
    ...I'll finish it one of these days!
    In WW, as in most things, it's as much about making the journey as it is in reaching the destination

On Saturday I installed the stairs to my office shed. It helped that the ground has thawed since I had to dig down about 6 inches for the concrete blocks that I'm using as a foundation. I also ran some more wire to a ceiling fan box after swapping out the two-gang for a three-gang switch box. I had been planning on just using floor lamps from a couple switched outlets, but figured I may want to put in track lighting or a ceiling fan at some point so I might as well do that before I insulate and drywall. I also ordered a timer switch for the porch light.

Sunday I was running errands all day, one of which was picking up my great-uncle's G1014 belt/disc sander that my uncle has been holding for me. It's missing the table, but fortunately the parts for that are still available if I don't feel like building a new table for it. It'll be nice to have a stationary sander.
    ~Garth

My wife wanted a holder for our dog's water bowl. Made from scrap oak I had lying around. Also an excuse to try out my new Domino.

Duncan

dfholder.jpg

I picked up about 30 board ft. of some maple for the drawers in the window seat, along with the faces for the dining room cabinets.

Taking a break from cabinet making this weekend, I made up some insulated sliding doors to make a better seal to the doorway between my workshop and car shop. I have a set of double doors from my old house that are about 100 years old. Beautiful pine doors, but not to well insulated. So I made up a triple sliding door arrangement to improve that.

Then I worked on some tool holders for my marking tools. These will go into the plane cabinet that I have mocked up.
    Last edited by Jay Larson; 01-23-2017 at 1:24 PM. Reason: change insulted to insulated

Ripped down and planed about 40 Bf of oak for 1/2 of a workbench top. Picked up a used Unsiaw and got it home and set up, think I am going to put a VFD on it for soft start and the ability to run a 3 phase machine in a residence. Got together with two other wood workers and spent Saturday with them. Did some other milling of lumber for some projects.

11. Installed two LED strip lights in the shop. My goodness, this place is a mess, now that I can see it.
    Finished up some picture frames for Mom.
    Built a tenoning Jig for the table saw.
    Started a full scale mockup of the writing table for my wife in pine, so the design changes and rookie mistakes are less expensive.

It rained all weekend so I didn't get a lot of shop time, but I did work on my new table saw outfeed table and get it about 70% complete. The system I used in my old shop wouldn't work so I've got a nice, new table and all I have left is to attach the legs and cut the extension miter slots.

Drawers

Made 14 drawers for my new storage bin, with my wife's help. Only have enough clamps to make two at a time, so the project went through the weekend. (Some not show; still in clamps waiting on the glue to set.)DrawersJan2017 2.jpg