Thread: Unisaw LVC/Magnetic Switch

Question Unisaw LVC/Magnetic Switch

I recently purchased a 1980 Unisaw. It came with a 3 hp, 3 phase motor. I have purchased a 3 hp single phase 220 Leeson motor. The LVC needs to be reworked for the change from the 3pase to 1 phase. I know I have to install the correct size heaters for the new motor. What other wiring modification needs to be done?

Should be a starter wiring diagram on the back of the starter cover

There is a diagram for 3 phase but not for single phase. I believe the LVC will work but with some modification.

I am used to seeing a diagram for single phase hook ups as well on most older starters.

Mine had info for both single and three phase. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near my saw.

The contactor may not be rated for a 3HP motor single phase.

Check the ratings before spending money.
    money, obviously check the coil voltage as well.

Here is a pic of the cover on the LVC.

IMG_1779.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a simple wiring task. Connect your motor to T1 and T2.

Connect the single phase 240V to L1 and L2.

There is nothing to connect to T3 or L3.

Make sure the transformer is using the 230V tap.

You should be able to go ahead and use the saw with the lower current heaters until you get the proper ones. The worst that might happen is nuisance tripping if you do some heavy cutting.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Looks like a simple wiring task. Connect your motor to T1 and T2.

Connect the single phase 240V to L1 and L2.

There is nothing to connect to T3 or L3.

Make sure the transformer is using the 230V tap.

You should be able to go ahead and use the saw with the lower current heaters until you get the proper ones. The worst that might happen is nuisance tripping if you do some heavy cutting.

Installed the new motor. Wired as described above. Saw runs great. Just need to get heavier rated heaters and install them. Thanks for all the help from everyone.