Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted wood, more about

Spalted wood, more about

The Spalted Liquid Amber thread was getting long, so a new thread might be better for this for those interested in spalting. In reading some spalting info on the web, I found that the science experts (and spalting fanatics) have written a book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Spalted-Wood-.../dp/0764350382

I've ordered a copy, will report my impressions later.

This is where I found out about the book. This is a great place to start for a bit of info about spalting and perhaps dispel a few misunderstandings:
    http://www.northernspalting.com/beginners-guide/

Spalting how-to's: http://www.northernspalting.com/work...ing-pamphlets/

JKJ

Thks John,
    I forgot to mention to check our Dr. Sara Robinson on YouTube as she is an expert on spalting.

Dave

Dr. Sara Robinson gave a presentation on spalting wood at the first turning club meeting I attended in February 2010 (Superiorland Woodturners). She had just received her PHD in Colored spalted wood from Michigan Technological University (my alma mater). She gave an excellent presentation on spalted wood. She is a woodturner, so she shares our passion. She is a wealth of knowledge in spalted wood. She started northernspalting.com

I look forward to your report on the book.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

This also looks like some good basic how-to information, based largely on Robinson's work:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/...our-own-lumber

JKJ

We had Sara give demos at our club a couple of times. Like Rich said - she is a wealth of knowledge and has quite the sense of humor - which made for great presentations. I think you will enjoy the book!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Fascinating! I found an hour-long presentation on spalting by the good doctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDFsIciRCU. Wanted to paste it here so I know I can find it later, but hopefully others will find it useful.

She is a great resource and the book is too (I have a photo credit in the book)

When she was giving her program someone brought up breathing spores, she asked him if he ever went walking in the woods and that when he did he breathed those spores... of course around here it's hard not to (rain forest and all that)

One do the things I enjoy is how her program has changed over the years as she has learned.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

One of the most interesting demos I have ever seen, if for no other reason, every thing I knew about spalting was wrong... She said the only one who calls her Sara is her mom, and she usually goes by Sari. I guess she also dabbles in writing Sci-Fi, and fantasy.

robo hippy

I don't recall where I read about it, but I've had really good luck spalting my own wood using beer. River birch, magnolia, sycamore, red maple and more. I leave the logs a little long and don't seal the ends. I pour a healthy amount of beer on the cut ends and forget about it for a few months. I cut and rough the bowls before the spalting gets too far along. Here is a variety of boxes I turned for Christmas presents. The second is a magnolia platter. The last is some rough turned stock drying out. I love this hobby. 008.jpg007.JPG007.JPG

Tom---that Magnolia platter is fantastic (the others are very nice also). Please give me more details on your spalting technique. How much beer? Stored in what if anything? Keep in the dark? Etc. Thanks.

I wish I could tell you I have a specific technique. I had amassed a big pile of wood beside my garage. After reading the aforementioned forgotten article, I took a dozen or so various outdated beers out and unceremoniously dosed the wood. I manage a brewery, so I have a pretty good stock of suds around. I'm in the Memphis area, so I'm sure the humidity played a part in the process. I left everything uncovered. im about to try it again with some gum. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    I don't recall where I read about it, but I've had really good luck spalting my own wood using beer. River birch, magnolia, sycamore, red maple and more. I leave the logs a little long and don't seal the ends. I pour a healthy amount of beer on the cut ends and forget about it for a few months. I cut and rough the bowls before the spalting gets too far along. Here is a variety of boxes I turned for Christmas presents. The second is a magnolia platter. The last is some rough turned stock drying out. I love this hobby. 008.jpg007.JPG007.JPG
    I can tell you her exact words on beer... Drink beer, don't waste it on wood.
    Wood spalting fungus does not feed on anything in beer, you are just wasting it.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Her comments about special 'diets' for spalting are that the fungi that cause the spalting will first feed on the easiest food source, which could be the sugars in beer, then they start in on the wood. Put a log end grain down in damp grass, and keep it wet, and it will spalt in a month or so.

robo hippy

Thanks to everyone, this is the exact reason I come to SMC to be exposed to something that I didn't know existed and thus launch a new path of discovery. I have always loved spalted wood and today I learned I can trick nature into playing for my team.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Spalting is extremely easy. Simply put your wood(preferred green) on the ground, wet it down, throw some leaf litter and dirt on the cut ends and cover with a tarp. In extremely dry weather rewet it weekly. Start cutting into it with a hatchet after 3 months to check for progress. Also if you have a piece of unusually pretty spalt, save the cuttings to infect the ends of a similar species. I save the cutting in a plastic bag--dry or wet. Hackberry and sweet gum are very easy.