Thread: Spalted Basswood

Smile Spalted Basswood

This piece was rough turned two years ago but instead of finish turning to round, I decided to sand everything and leave the natural warp that happened while drying. Sanded to 280 grit inside and out, then sealed with de-waxed shellac. The exterior was given multiple coats of wipe-on poly and then rubbed down to the bare wood using 0000 steel wool. Exterior was then given a couple of coats of Conservator’s Wax and hand buffed. The interior was given 2 coats of black gesso and sealed with a spray matte acrylic.

Dimensions are 13” high, 12” diameter x ˝” thick.

Spalted Basswood.jpg

As always, your opinions, critiques and comments are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

2. Super form on this, Steve, and I like the natural look finish. The flowing curve and the rim set this off....well done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

3. Steve:
    Very nice piece. How did you protect the inner rim from the black gesso, and how did you get a straight line of the gesso around the inner rim? Thanks.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words Roger and Edward!

Ed, the entire form had a couple of coats of de-waxed shellac and I was hoping that the shellac would help prevent the gesso from soaking into the wood at the rim. It did but any gesso that managed to get on to the rim was immediately wiped off before it stained the area. The gesso was applied using a natural bristle brush and the only way I got the straight line at the rim by taking my time - no tape, magic or anything else.
    Steve

I like the form/shape a lot and the contrast with the black interior.

If I may ask, how did you avoid over spray on the rim and outside when you sprayed the inside?

Dave

The curvature on this one is sooooo pleasing! Great work and I love the contrast of the interior - draws the eye to the nicely spalted exterior

Steve. Great job, the form is great. Stunning piece.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Dave, I put a heavy layer of wax on the rim and the top 5 or 6 inches of the form. Any over spray was easily wiped off.
    Steve

I like the form on this! It looks like your use of materials and skill paid off at the rim. That beats my "magic" method of turning away sloppy application. :-)

JKJ

You nailed it Steve!! Beautiful!!

11. Thanks Steve.

Ed

Steve,
    I love the shape and form, especially the base, as it has that calabash look. It doesn't look like it should sit upright by itself , which is a good thing, not a bad thing. Beautiful.

That's a beautiful curve, Steve. Nice photography, too.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Dave, I put a heavy layer of wax on the rim and the top 5 or 6 inches of the form. Any over spray was easily wiped off.
    Nice and simple. I like that. Thanks.