Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Marking Gauge - clone of Tite-Mark

There is even one for $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD2Z8...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kasier View Post
    There is even one for $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD2Z8...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Yes, that one isn't a knock off of the TiteMark® nor is it micro adjustable.

Many of my Stanley marking gauges were $10 or less.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kasier View Post
    I bought one of these Shop Fox marking gauges when I was just getting back into the hobby. It's junk. Even if it was $5, it's junk.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    The thing my TiteMark® can do that makes me think about sending Glen Drake Tools some more of my money is the ability to hold it in one hand and set it against a work piece or a rule and get close with one fast setting, then dial in the exact size equally as quick and get to work.

From what David Dalzell posts:

The Taylor marking gauge has the same two screws (front and rear) but there is no independent barrel that rotates to perform micro-adjustments. The barrel is independent of the front screw mechanism, but is part of the aft screw mechanism, not independent. The front screw can be loosened and the entire head rotated to change the depth of the cut; but the rotation also rotates the holding front screw. i.e. the screw does not stay in the same position and winds up out of the shaft groove when the desired depth is reached. Very clumsy and awkward to use.
    It sounds like the TalorTools gauge comes up short. This sounds similar to how the Veritas micro adjustable gauge works. My Veritas gauge is usually only used when a fourth or fifth gauge is desired on a project.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The thing my TiteMark® can do that makes me think about sending Glen Drake Tools some more of my money is the ability to hold it in one hand and set it against a work piece or a rule and get close with one fast setting, then dial in the exact size equally as quick and get to work.

It sounds like the TalorTools gauge comes up short. This sounds similar to how the Veritas micro adjustable gauge works. My Veritas gauge is usually only used when a fourth or fifth gauge is desired on a project.

jtk
    I just recently got one of the Taylor Tools gauges through their ebay store, and I can't speak for what David got, but mine functions exactly like the TiteMark. Independent barrel, one half with right hand threads, one with left hand threads. What I received looks exactly like the pictures Mike posted at the start of this thread. Again, I can't speak for what David got, but the one I received will do exactly as Jim describes above with one handed adjustment, quick coarse setting and the barrel for fine adjustment.

Blog Entries
    I have at least four plus a Stanley Odd Jobs that are used regularly. Then there are a few more for which a new home could be found.

jtk
    I have an Odd jobs, but never use it. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have an Odd jobs, but never use it. Oh well.
    It is like the late 19th century version of a speed square.

Mostly mine is used to mark a pencil line for a rip cut on the bandsaw. A combination square could do the same thing. For me the Odd Jobs is quicker/easier.

jtk

I gave in and bought a Stanley Oddjob and one of the clones made in Gettysburg, PA. They guard the shop! I also have a couple of Speed squares-use them by a chop saw for a quick refernce mark. As far as accuracy, I have two out of three that are spot on-one was a Swanson bought maybe 20 to 25 years ago and a new Stanley (color is black). The third lays around just waiting to be borrowed!

Speed squares just seem to awkward to carry in my apron-I much prefer my 6" Starret combo square.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ponik View Post
    I just recently got one of the Taylor Tools gauges through their ebay store, and I can't speak for what David got, but mine functions exactly like the TiteMark. Independent barrel, one half with right hand threads, one with left hand threads. What I received looks exactly like the pictures Mike posted at the start of this thread. Again, I can't speak for what David got, but the one I received will do exactly as Jim describes above with one handed adjustment, quick coarse setting and the barrel for fine adjustment.
    That was the reason for my question to David about whether one end could be stuck.

Otherwise one has to consider Taylor Tools has two gauges and nothing to clarify which one will ship.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-04-2017 at 1:20 PM. Reason: wording

My Taylor Toolworks is just like a Tite Mark, can be operated one handed....makes me wonder if there is a Chinese knockoff of the knockoff? ;-D

Interesting thread. Thus far, I have found the Tite mark to be superior to the Taylor. The Taylor has too much play in the threads for my taste, and is just not machined as well. But then again, when you consider the price points of each...... So the Taylor goes in to my carpenters bucket and the Tite Mark stays in my work bench.
    Best wishes.

jtk
    See my posting in post #31. Sounds like that's what David has. The Taylor toolworks gauge works exactly the same as the Tite-Mark. I agree with Ron (post #101) that there's a bit more slop in the threads of the Taylor than in the Tite-Mark but the Taylor is very usable. After all, the Taylor is $30 and the Tite-Mark is $90.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    See my posting in post #31. Sounds like that's what David has.
    I thought you mentioned having to deal with yours being sticky. That was the reason for my question to David. My search for your original mention was fruitless. It was my intention to quote you in my reply to David's comment.

jtk

I need to take another look at the Taylor gauge. I am pretty sure the barrel was not independent.

[I just recently got one of the Taylor Tools gauges through their ebay store, and I can't speak for what David got, but mine functions exactly like the TiteMark. Independent barrel, one half with right hand threads, one with left hand threads. What I received looks exactly like the pictures Mike posted at the start of this thread. Again, I can't speak for what David got, but the one I received will do exactly as Jim describes above with one handed adjustment, quick coarse setting and the barrel for fine adjustment.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I gave in and bought a Stanley Oddjob and one of the clones made in Gettysburg, PA. They guard the shop! I also have a couple of Speed squares-use them by a chop saw for a quick refernce mark. As far as accuracy, I have two out of three that are spot on-one was a Swanson bought maybe 20 to 25 years ago and a new Stanley (color is black). The third lays around just waiting to be borrowed!

Speed squares just seem to awkward to carry in my apron-I much prefer my 6" Starret combo square.
    Or a 6" clone from Lowes.
    I also have a 4" Veritas double square that gets used a lot.