Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Marking Gauge - clone of Tite-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Or a 6" clone from Lowes.
    I also have a 4" Veritas double square that gets used a lot.
    Before Christmas I bought two of the Lowes clones combo squares, for including with other tools for my older daughters. The heads were colored blue (can't remember the brandname), blades were engraved and not painted. In giving them a closer look, I saw the "made in USA" mark, and bought two, at less than $10 each. Checked for square at home & fine!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    It must be me, but combo squares do not get used much in my shop. When one does get used in my shop it is usually a no name 4" or a M.F. Co. 8". Not sure if that is a Millers Falls mark or some other company.

There are a couple of Union heads with protractors that are occasionally used and one rule with a center finding head also getting occasional use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Oops

My apologies to all. How embarrassing! I took another look at the Taylor and discovered that the barrel is indeed independent, and does work like the Titemark. The aft threaded section was very tight against the barrel, and showed no discernible break between the barrel and the aft section. I tried but was unable to loosen tho two sections until I realized I was turning in the wrong direction. Right v left threads. It took some effort to break the threads loose, but I managed it. Now it works. Haste makes mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That was the reason for my question to David about whether one end could be stuck.

Otherwise one has to consider Taylor Tools has two gauges and nothing to clarify which one will ship.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Glad it worked out for you David.

Maybe others will now be aware to check if their's are stuck.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The combo square at Lowes is Irwin...stainless blade, zinc head. FWIW, Veritas offers a small "pocket marking gauge" with a wheel cutter at each end. It takes both hands to set, has no micro-adjust, and only 3/4" dia fences. An inexpensive option to two gauges of whatever brand.

This whole discussion is really interesting. We've covered:
    personal views of what's right vs. public reality on what's legal,
    behavioral economics,
    globalization,
    trend changes in retailing and consumerism,
    the ever elusive definition of quality
    fine technical distinctions between two relatively similar products.

It gets even more fascinating if you take the time to read the owner's blog at Glen-Drake toolworks. He's an interesting character, no shortage of dogmatic opinions, but you have to admire his conviction. Not sure he's if he's the enlightened craftsman living on a higher rung on the ladder of Zen, or if he's a naive albeit valiant soldier trying to fight back the Roman legions of change.

Who would predict a simple forum post about a marking gauge would be so thought provoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ...Who would predict a simple forum post about a marking gauge would be so thought provoking?
    Well It provoked me into ordering a Lee Valley marking gauge.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Well It provoked me into ordering a Lee Valley marking gauge.
    Ha! That's a good one.
    I have the original Lee Valley gauge and have always thought it was pretty good. Sometimes the passionate discussions about elite level heirloom tools and location of manufacture get into your head and make you start to think the tool you already own is now suddenly deficient and you need to upgrade. In reality, I have to remind myself that a "better" marking gauge is not going to improve my hand cut dovetails anywhere near as much as more practice and skill development on my part. Mind you, I fully appreciate how much of a pleasure it can be to simply own a fine tool. I guess it's all a personal balancing act.

I'd say the OP is encouraging people to dovetail by hand, and offered the suggestion for those who cannot (yet) justify a much higher priced alternative. If he helps one or more people enjoy the satisfaction of dovetailing he's made the world a better place in my view. We woodworkers are head cases.... and the Neanderthal Haven is the insane asylum of the whole forum! Love it.

Ha! That's a good one.

We woodworkers are head cases.... and the Neanderthal Haven is the insane asylum of the whole forum! Love it.
    We're all together here because we're not all together there.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    We're all together here because we're not all together there.

Bob Lang
    Hehe. I've never seen that before. Love it!

Who would predict a simple forum post about a marking gauge would be so thought provoking?
    So, this is your first visit to the Neanderthal Nirvana is it?? (Just a hint of advice: Don't bring up sharpening!! ...or other forms of religion.)

"Don't bring up sharpening!!"

Or power tools!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    So, this is your first visit to the Neanderthal Nirvana is it?? (Just a hint of advice: Don't bring up sharpening!! ...or other forms of religion.)
    Well I'm only here because I was kindly asked to leave the power tool forum for suggesting that Festool buy Sawstop with the money they can raise by selling the Domino patents to Bosch.

This whole discussion is really interesting. We've covered:
    personal views of what's right vs. public reality on what's legal,
    behavioral economics,
    globalization,
    trend changes in retailing and consumerism,
    the ever elusive definition of quality
    fine technical distinctions between two relatively similar products.

It gets even more fascinating if you take the time to read the owner's blog at Glen-Drake toolworks. He's an interesting character, no shortage of dogmatic opinions, but you have to admire his conviction. Not sure he's if he's the enlightened craftsman living on a higher rung on the ladder of Zen, or if he's a naive albeit valiant soldier trying to fight back the Roman legions of change.

Thanks for the summary - I don't recall having read more than page 1 of this thread and was wondering what kept it going now with over 8000 views and 100 plus comments.

You are not counting possible PMs to OP. I sent several and received several very helpful replies. This site is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Thanks for the summary - I don't recall having read more than page 1 of this thread and was wondering what kept it going now with over 8000 views and 100 plus comments.