Thread: Do you use a Sector?

Do you use a Sector?

Hi guys,
    I continue to read Walker & Tolpin's By Hand and Eye and they talk about using a Sector along with your Dividers. So I made one, labelled it as they instruct and just put the 1st coat of finish on her. Tapered maple legs with a "scissors-style" hinge (just for the sheer challenge). After she dries, I'll see whether I got it right and go learn how to use it, via the instructions in the book. (If someone wants to see them, I'll post a pic after I finish getting the finish on them.)

According to Walker's website, they know Sectors were used by a variety of professions - he calls them the slide rules of their day - but they don't have solid evidence that furniture makers used them at their bench. But they appear to be useful for proportioning and other things. So I thought I'd just ask whether any of you use them, how you like using them, and what you use them for?

I look forward to hearing what you think.

Best regards,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-24-2017 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I made one. I used it a few time, but find it is quicker just to "step" off the division with dividers. Even when I use the sector, I still need to make minor adjustmens to the dividers to get it perfect.

I had to google it up to find out what it is, an no, I have never seen or used one.

Fred:

We were introduced to them in engineering school as an historically important tool, but never used a sector for anything.

You can download a free template for one the byhandandeye website:

https://www.byhandandeye.com/shop/
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    George Walker uses a folding rule as a sector.

https://georgewalkerdesign.wordpress...abet-s-is-for/

When I read about the Sector in a Jim Tolpin article, I was captivated enough to make one, but it's a conversation piece that hangs on the wall more than anything. It works, no doubt, but I too would grab a pair of dividers and walk off the measurement within 30 seconds of trial and error.

Thanks guys - for the links and the opinions! I don't know yet what I think. Curious is a good word for where I am on it. Just curious. If I find it useful, I'll report back on it sometime.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

A four-fold rule can be used as a sector. That is when folded in two and if the markings are also on the inside and it's not a metric nearly 39" version. The Walker Tolpin book doesn't mention it but if it's already in the toolbox why bother with an extra tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Braun View Post
    A four-fold rule can be used as a sector. That is when folded in two and if the markings are also on the inside and it's not a metric nearly 39" version. The Walker Tolpin book doesn't mention it but if it's already in the toolbox why bother with an extra tool.
    Yup. You sure can, and Walker says that on his website that Lowell has linked to above. In fact, I have exactly the same rule Walker shows in the pic.

Do you use your four-fold that way?

Yep, I made two of them after reading Walker and Tolpin's book. I bought two 5/16 hinges from Brusso and made a two foot and one foot version. I only need one, but the hinges come in pairs. I use them more and more as I find new uses for them. I can't believe these have fallen into disuse and are not available commercially for purchase. True, the dividers must be adjusted a little after using a sector, however, they quickly get me in the ballpark.

I'm now getting ready to place the hardware on the Pennsylvania secretary and will use the sector to position the drawer pulls 4/7's from the bottom of each drawer. They get sequentially narrower as they go up on piece, so it will be a time saver.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Popular Woodworking Comes Through Again

I was looking for more information on the sector and saw a reference to an article in Popular Woodworking. I subscribe to the magazine, so I have the June 2011 issue.
    There is a Jim Tolpin article "Secrets of the Sector" It goes into detail showing how to use one.

The magazine seems to have issues on staying fresh. I don't get as much out of current issues as I do the old ones. I suppose it is very difficult to stay fresh if you are in their business.