Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley #80 surface results

Stanley #80 surface results

I purchased a Stanley 80 and put it to use. First I flattened the bottom and cleaned it up. I'm pretty sure I did a good job sharpening the blade and rolling over the burr. It seems to be taking shavings as it should. Maybe I was expecting too much but it doesn't seem to leave that great of a surface. It seems to leave a rough "pilly" surface, kind of like the one left when I use a card scraper. I wasn't expecting it to leave the same surface as a smoothing plane but I guess I thought it would be better then the card scraper. I can see getting use out of it leveling panels after a glue up, but it lacks as a finishing tool.

Some people seem to get great results with them. Did I do something wrong or am I getting the same results as others?

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Nope. You'll still need to sand a bit after a scraper. The #80 is my favorite. I have four at the ready at all times. It's a personal problem.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Rob for the response. I guess I just read a few posts, and watched a few videos, that described it as giving a "finished surface".

It certainly will be handy and I'm glad I gave it a try.

Do the shavings in the picture look correct for a properly sharpened blade?

Jeb; you might need to re-check the turned edge on your scraper blade. It sounds like it hasn't been formed correctly.

regards Stewie;

Does the edge have to be turned on the 80 like it does on a card scraper? I recall reading an old manual where one could just sharpen it at 45°. I have tried mine like that on very busy wild Olive grain and it left a very nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Thanks Rob for the response. I guess I just read a few posts, and watched a few videos, that described it as giving a "finished surface".

It certainly will be handy and I'm glad I gave it a try.

Do the shavings in the picture look correct for a properly sharpened blade?
    With a freshly turned hook on the blade you are able to get a nice finish, but not the same quality as a well tuned smoother (at least in my experience). I found that the more care you take in preparing the blade the better it works. I sharpen the edge at 45 degrees with the same process I'd use for any plane iron, making sure the bevel and the backside are finely finished. Following that I turn my hook with a burnisher. It may be going a little overboard, but it sure works nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey Petrov View Post
    Does the edge have to be turned on the 80 like it does on a card scraper? I recall reading an old manual where one could just sharpen it at 45°. I have tried mine like that on very busy wild Olive grain and it left a very nice finish.
    You can do either (or both). I guess it depends on the wood you're working and what your expectations are.

I sharpened it to a 45 using a guide, polished the back flat, and the bevel to the same grit I use for my smoothing plane. I then took a burnisher and took one or two soft swipes. After doing so it seemed as though I had a nice even burr turned over. Maybe the burr is to heavy?

Do you find a heavy burr, or a very slight burr works best?

It seems some of you are getting a near finished surface using this?

If that is the case maybe I should start over and try again?

Hi Jebediah

Are those shavings in the photo representative of all you made? If so, there is a definite issue with the blade.

Here is what is possible using a Stanley #112 planing Tasmanian Oak ...

Of course, the advantage of the #112 is that the blade angle may be adjusted.

What you should first do, is to remove your blade and push it by hand as if it were a card scraper, holding the blade at the angle it would be in the #80.

Can you achieve decent shavings that way? No, then try different angles and see where the sweet spot lies. If you are way off, then the angle of the hook you rolled is either too steep or too shallow. Re-hone and try rolling the hook again. It should be between 10-15 degrees. Also try the blade without a hook. It will work that way, just less aggressively.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I will give that a try, thank you.

I do not roll a burr on my 80 scraper blade. I sharpen it as I do my smooth plane blade, just at a steeper angle.

It produces a reasonable surface on harder woods for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I do not roll a burr on my 80 scraper blade. I sharpen it as I do my smooth plane blade, just at a steeper angle.

It produces a reasonable surface on harder woods for me.
    i was hoping you would chime in, I remember you had good results. Thank you.

Um, not nearly as good as Derek's. To be honest, Jebediah, I use my 80 only when I have issues like grain switching directions around panel seams or around knotty areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Jebediah

Are those shavings in the photo representative of all you made? If so, there is a definite issue with the blade.

Here is what is possible using a Stanley #112 planing Tasmanian Oak ...

Of course, the advantage of the #112 is that the blade angle may be adjusted.

What you should first do, is to remove your blade and push it by hand as if it were a card scraper, holding the blade at the angle it would be in the #80.

Can you achieve decent shavings that way? No, then try different angles and see where the sweet spot lies. If you are way off, then the angle of the hook you rolled is either too steep or too shallow. Re-hone and try rolling the hook again. It should be between 10-15 degrees. Also try the blade without a hook. It will work that way, just less aggressively.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Wow! Time to bust out my #112 and try to emulate that. I see your blade angle is much steeper than anything I've tried. Maybe that's the ticket?

For the Stanley 80 hook angle is crucial.

The blade must be well sharpened at 45 degrees,

The burnisher must be hard.

The hook is turned by burnishing gently at 45 degrees (blade is horizontal).

Taking 6-8 gentle strokes the burnisher must finish at 15 degrees from the vertical.

This works extremely well.

best wishes,
    David