Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

i've found that I need to access the entire thread before logging in. Once logged in I can see all the pictures but usually not access everything. Depends on the thread. Dave

So weird,

Im logged in so its not that. I have had this lroblem many times before but never the time to do anything about it.

Your most recent response is the same situation as i posted about Jims.

I can only see it is i access it by going to the users profile and clicking on recent posts.

Highly annoying. I often think someone has hacked my computer as it does this kind of weird crap all the time. I also am constantly getting and loosing my wirless connection constantly while others in my house on the same network just different devises have no issues with connectivity.

Any computer guys out there?

Patrick, try clearing the SMC "cookie" and re-login. Perhaps something got stuck somewhere. In the interim, try a different browser, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

site has issues ive mentioned it before logged on I see three pages logged off more posts and there are five pages ive said a number of times before I have no idea where my response will go the the 3 pages or the five half the time logged off there are anumber more posts than if im logged on. Im on enough sites and never have this issue just unique to this one ive done the clearing cookies and ive done screen saves before to show what I see.. Sometimes logged on several people have made new posts, I go looking and same posts from the day before or some period of time LIke patrick said some stuff not working right same here Sure both my antique computers are not perfect but not issues elsewhere. Wish I had more time to learn about these boxes at times.

Weird...

Annoying more than anything actually.

If i log out this thread is five pages long.

If i log in it is sudddenly three pages long.

So what do people think, is this a website problem or a my computer problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

This is a website problem!
    I have been frustrated with this site many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

Patrick, what do you have the "Number of Posts to Show Per Page:" set at under your General settings? If you have it set different from the forum's default you will see a difference when logged in vs. logged out.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Progress well kinda.

Extremely slow but progress non the less..

The bench all drawbored together. This was my first experience with drawboring. I was nervous to say the least. In retrospect it was a piece of cake. Well I went agonizingly slow making sure all my joinery was perfect perfect knowing if it was not the drawbored joinery would leave much to be desired.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Made tonguenand groove base.

46BC2E5D-84D1-4F7F-B17E-E4F1D73825C2.jpg

The top laminations have long since been glued up and the bottom flattened. They have since been robbing me of my old workbench. Thank god I took a job this past year in a proper cabinet shop as I have no space or rather no surface to work on.

After much hesitation I mocked the legs and stretchers up into clamps onto the bottom side of the bench and did the required layout. I must have checked my measurements like 300 times before I dare cut the mortise.

I cut my first mortise completely by hand. Being I work 70hr weeks building custom cabinetry and have no time for my own work I gave in and made a jig and used a router for the rest of the mortise. Boy was that hairy maxing out a 1/2 shank 3” bit in my OF1400 to get the required depth of mortise. Scary stuff but I got it done with no trips to the hospital lol..

C0397900-A5EC-4CEB-BD4E-B27866EE364E.jpgDCC90A1E-78B5-4EA8-949B-38FC0ABAF57B.jpg090E587B-9A9C-4F76-A591-888665E1279A.jpg7664FF7D-7BA9-46DA-A39D-F7659959FD7F.jpg

I then moved onto the deadman and runner it rides on.

I wanted Ted to find a way to work some ebony into the project from long ago. Actually I wanted the bench to be French Oak sourced from Bo Child’s, the same stuff Chris Schwarz and friends used. At the time it was much to rich for my blood and I settled on this pile of 12/4 ash.

Early on I had design’s on ebony pegs to drawbore the bench together. Having never worked in ebony I did not know what I did not know and was informed it was a terrible idea.

After making and driving the 5/8 pegs for the legs and stretchers I understood first hand why.

I just could not resist trying and decided to use ebony to drawbored the top ebony piece into the main ash portion of the deadman. It was ahirynto say the least but in the end I got three perfect ebony pegs offset 1/32-1/16” to hold everything together. It’s rock solid and not going anywhere and the joint is tight as it gets. It really could have all gone very wrong and I consider myself very lucky.

39763A1D-8A71-41AE-ADF5-F85C89CEFF38.jpgC216F522-E363-4574-9E5B-6A0F4E9D3B1E.jpg1EEF51C4-4D56-4441-91E1-F218251BB43E.jpg

Blog Entries
    Completing a step without a hospital visit gets you extra points. I have really enjoyed this ride-a-long.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

After the deadman I hand planed the whole bench with my beautiful HNT Gordon Ebony smoother. I then hand chamfered 75% of the edges with a pairing chisel. Eventually I gave up and broke out a router for the larger chamfer on the bottoms of the legs.

Man what a workout the smoothing was. Very satisfying though..

5AC602C6-774A-4D32-B823-3D5E46345C34.jpgB93B3186-49F6-4D0E-A739-B8FC79B527C3.jpg

I then made this little baby.

I completely ripped off the design of one of the makers from the original workshop where the French Oak Roubo benches got built. I’ll hope it is taken as a compliment.

This is where I stand to date. I know need to recruit three strong men to help me flip and then lift the top onto the base. At 9.5’ x 28” I estimate it weight 4-500lbs. My best guess tells me it could be many months before I can organize three men to offer their time to “help” me all at the same time.

I can only hope it is not mother year before I update this. I am currently making a dovetailed box that will run on runners mounted to the far right underside of the bench. It will have ebony trays and dividers inside it hold very specific tools.

Pretty fancy for a bench. Don’t worry I won’t baby it a bit!

237C97E5-5B08-42FC-8CD2-A8B40B2EF195.jpgA7D1B804-20D9-41D2-B266-353963A546BB.jpg0AD168CA-C28E-454C-9C48-2219B53D304A.jpg

It sure does,

In retrospect i should have just deepened the mortise to final depth by hand.

After using the router with a collet and jig I got kinda hooked on how clean my mortise bottoms where and got greedy.

I chuck of my router with my 3-3.5” bit kept bottoming out on the collet. At this point I was already at the very limits of how much bit I had chucked into the machine. I was still falling about 3/8’ shy.

I decided to remove the collet and rout right to my lines riding the smooth portion of the bit with “no bearing” on the template. The machine kicked back more than once threatening me but more importantly my perfect mortise. Add to this I was doing this all on a three step step ladder bing the bench top was atop my bench then atop dripping adding insult to injury.

It it was slow and hairy but I got it done be very very very careful. At one point I did almost throw in the towel and resort to finishing up by hand. Having so little free time I was just focused on finishing the mortise late on a Sunday afternoon prior to football. Everytime I work on the bench I fully expect it will weeks if not months before I can get ack to it. Hence my insurance to finish a task at a time whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Completing a step without a hospital visit gets you extra points. I have really enjoyed this ride-a-long.