Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

I have a 10 grand rasp on its way. I was backordered. Being I was able to get so close to the line with what I think is a 3 grane I’m not so sure the 10 grane will be the tool fir the job.

I could probably use a hand plane to finish up or the spokeshave that’s in the mail.

On the other hand a piece os sandpaper and a sanding block can probably take over from here.it would be pretty nice to keep up with the zero sandpaper approach I have maintained fir this whole project.

It would also be nice to not screw up something that is so close to perfect because I had to adhere to some silly self imposed no sandpaper ethic.

Well maybe it’s not silly. If you never push yourself you never get better right...

I'd be hard pressed not to use sanding on that particular radius to refine and finish it. No sanding on all the flat surfaces is really doable, but I think it's going to be hard to get a comparable smooth finish on that rounded board end that's all end-grain. But perhaps I'm just lacking hand-tool experience with that thought process...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A hand plane will leave a clean cut but a straight blade will leave scallops on a curved end grain surface. This is usually fine for me. If that is not good then you can clean it up further with a scraper.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Patrick, love seeing those planes getting used! The long jointer is perfect for flattening that top. Let me know if you’re ready for some more after the holidays.

Hope all is well and you’re feeling better. Happy Holidays!

Kevin

And i looooove using them!

The way the wood floats so effortlessly over the workpiece is addictive. Even the sound has some kind of affect that just makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable and lends itself to taking even more care.

You probably don’t know but I stated collecting Japanese tools. I have yet to use many of them as I am afraid to set them up without a bit of coaching first. If they were not so expensive I would care much but holly smokes are they pricey. I do use use the pairing chisels and they are very very nice. The sizes are a a bit close together for them to really be all that useful but I use at lest theee of them all the time.

So what do you have to sell. Send me a pm and we will talk. I’m kinda broke at the moment to be honest. Well not broke as that would be scary but my dogs are having $4K of surgery this week. I also ordered $8K worth of CVGDF and CVGAYC for a a master bedroom addition I put on my house a couple years ago and have yet to finish. Beyond that I supposed to make my way down to NJ and take a few days of class3s with Brian so I can finally use the Japanese tools I purchased.

But if you are parting with toools I the matching ebony to the tools I already purchased we should definitely talk. Ready to part with those Amai bench chisels?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Patrick, love seeing those planes getting used! The long jointer is perfect for flattening that top. Let me know if you’re ready for some more after the holidays.

Hope all is well and you’re feeling better. Happy Holidays!

Kevin

Your bench is looking great Patrick! Will look forward to seeing the first project.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks for saying so Chris,

I have wondering as only a few have chimed in and many have looked by the views count.

Material for next project should arrive beginning of February. By March 1st I should be a busy busy boy. Till then I’ll finish antools chest I started along side the bench and have also yet to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Your bench is looking great Patrick! Will look forward to seeing the first project.