Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

The infeed one is a felder unit. The outfeed one is a Aigner unit.

I much prefer the Aigner over the Felder.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeYoung View Post
    Did your j/p extension tables come from Felder, nor did you make them yourself?

Your start-stop progress on the bench is very, very familiar to me. I also was tangled up in several other projects/life happenings during the bench build. It eventually got done and all worked out. Nice photos and I can store some of those Besseys for you if you run out of room for all of them. I believe you will like the Benchcrafted leg vise hardware during use later on. Are you installing a tail vise?
    David

Yah the stop start is kinda killing me.

I just assume take a week or two off from work and do the thing start to finish. Unfortunately it has not worked out that way. Actually fortunately because if it did chances are it would be because i was without work.

Funny i just purchased rwo more 50" Bessy K Body. The collection is becoming rather large. I have half of them just sitting onnthe floor at this point as i dont have the time to build another rack to keep them on. A shop is clearly a never ending build..

I think im finaly all in to see this through without a big break again. The facts speak for themself. I ahve been cutting out of work at 4-5pm everyday and grtyong at least something done. I would say on average i. Giving 2-3 days and 4-16hrs a week to this project right now. Last night and tonight i worked from 4-9:30.

I actually purchased two more Bessy K body clamps today. In all fairness seevne of the clamps i ahve are on lone. I think i have maybe 30 of my own K bodys and then about the same of the tradseman. I kinda get into something and go nuts.

I was going to do a tail vise. I actually purchesed one and then just sold it to fund the purchase of some japanese chisels and some ebony hand planes. Per the advise of a couple people whom i trust as they know there crap and have been doing this a long time inopted to keep the bench simple. I will put a plane stop mortised theough the top or a sliding dovetail one front to back. I will the. Drill a series of holes for the use of hold fast. I will hold my work with one of those thin pieces of wood with a notch cut out of a corner, i know thye have a name? i may do a a deadman. I will dado out the bottom for one so i at least have the option in the future.

My thinking is to just keep the bench simple and clearly solid as a rock. It is my understanding and we will see if my oppinion that all the bench bells and whistles are just potential problems down the road. For instance the tail vise sags, jabs or wahtever. You also have the change of grain direction to contend with when flattening the bench in the future. The dog holes i am told insure you always have a hole right under your workpiece when you dont want one there.

Who knows i may regeret keeping it so simple. If i do it will become my utility bench and i will hammer away on it, mix paint on it pry on it and generaly abousenthe crap out of it and build a bench more suited to the way i work.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Your start-stop progress on the bench is very, very familiar to me. I also was tangled up in several other projects/life happenings during the bench build. It eventually got done and all worked out. Nice photos and I can store some of those Besseys for you if you run out of room for all of them. I believe you will like the Benchcrafted leg vise hardware during use later on. Are you installing a tail vise?

Just pictures tonight. I just wrote something and i lost it somehow.

I spent wat more time sorting out what boards i wanted where for the top.

Between this and the kitchen im building i have run completley out of dust collector bags. As a result every trash barrel i own inclding three giant town owned recycle bins are completely full. I think my truck has three full lare Rubbermaid Brute trash barrels and a bag full of chips in the bed. Then three of my shop barrels are full of shavings, then my home trash barrel, so thats a total of nine barrels and one 55 gallon bag. Then my dust collector is full again. Gonna have to deal with that first thing in the morning.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I may have missed it and if so I apologize ( 12 hr days too ) but have you seen the Benchcrafted vises and accessories? I wish they had been available when I built my Roubo bench. Dave

Yup thats what im using.

There are pictures of the completed led and chop up thread.

Its not the round boat wheel one but more a traditional style like a wooden screw but made of metal. It wirks just the same though and is sweet.

I had the Benchrafted tail vise alos but decided i do not want or need a tail vise.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I may have missed it and if so I apologize ( 12 hr days too ) but have you seen the Benchcrafted vises and accessories? I wish they had been available when I built my Roubo bench. Dave

Blog Entries
    That is a lot of material! It's coming along beautifully.

I would skip the sliding dovetail stop, they're problematic if you have to resurface the bench. The stop has shoulders and if you surface the bench top then a gap is created between the shoulders and the bench surface. Mortise it in, then seat it with brass slotted screws, which are screws that are less painful to look at than typical phillips stainless, ect. Sink the heads below the surface of the stop significantly.

I typically make a set of stops, one tall and one short. The tall one for general work and a short one for working thin panels.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

So are you saying instead of a sliding dovetail front to back skip the stop all together and just use a typical roubo style one loek Peter Ross makes. Or are you suggesting instead of a sliding dovetail i just run a square shouldered dado front to back amd instal it with screws.

I figured in the case of a sloding dovetail or i guess a square shouldered stop i would have two stops. One that sits proud to act as a stop and one that mounts flush fpr when the stop os not in use or when the bench needs to be flattened.

I real do want this bench to be a no frills user. Maybe i should just skip the stop and do what i do now. Clamp a stop to to the bench top then plane away. In the case of a roubo i can use hold fast as apposed to clamps to hold my stop down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    That is a lot of material! It's coming along beautifully.

I would skip the sliding dovetail stop, they're problematic if you have to resurface the bench. The stop has shoulders and if you surface the bench top then a gap is created between the shoulders and the bench surface. Mortise it in, then seat it with brass slotted screws, which are screws that are less painful to look at than typical phillips stainless, ect. Sink the heads below the surface of the stop significantly.

I typically make a set of stops, one tall and one short. The tall one for general work and a short one for working thin panels.

Pulled yesterdays lamination out of the clamps first this this morning before getting to work.

With only the slightest glue line to clean because i am relaentless about cleaning my squeeze out i ran the smoother over one side just to see what i got.

image.jpg

Then for giggles and because i could practically hear it calling my to "patrick take me off the shelf and play with me please" i ran my new ebony HNT jointer over the lamination a couple times. This was the first time i used it and boy what a dream!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then a re check to make sure i did not mess up any of the work my dummy proof machines had done. Well not dummy proof but pretty much.

image.jpg

Perfect on to the second lamination..

image.jpg

All my ducks in order, glued and ready to go. Nothing to it but to do it..

image.jpg

All glued up and back to work for me. Play time is over. Building this bench has become like crack!

image.jpg

I have posted or updated this thread a number of times now and i dont see the updates. Are other people seeing updates.

for instance one from today around 12:30 est with some pictures of a lamination being smoothed with a ebony hand plane and a glue up of two more boards with a orange roller tray full of glue in the picture?

Your post from 12:43 is clearly visible to me just above the one you just made asking about it...including the photos.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great Patrick. That jointer is dwarfed by the timber, Gonna be massive.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

12:43 photos showed up here too. Slow & steady wins the race. Keep up the good work.

So weird Kevin,

I can see that you posted to my thread under the General Woodworking forum by your name indictaed next to the thread. When i thrn go into the thread and then to page three to see thenlast response made your response is just not there.

I have to actually click on your name, then to view your profile, then to view your recent posts to see what you posted.

Did you get my response to your email. Come by anytime jointer is always availible to you..

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    12:43 photos showed up here too. Slow & steady wins the race. Keep up the good work.