Thread: Veritas, the Goddess of Truth

Veritas, the Goddess of Truth

I needed to read something to help sleep and pulled out some old college mythology texts. Apparently Veritas was the goddess of truth in Roman mythology. The word means truth. So much for sleep. And here I thought Rob invented the word. It doesn't say much for younger college years, information retention, and attention spans while young.

harvard-seal.png
    Harvard has been using the brand for the better part of the last 400 years. Yale, of course, tried to one-up them by adding light to the truth, using Lux et Veritas as their motto.

Interesting that a speaker company, Energy, has a Veritas line. Interesting in that they are a Canadian company also. Canada actually builds some of the best speakers in the world in part due to Canada's NRC (National Research Council) which has done ground-breaking psycho-acoustical research for years.

Veritas was the daughter of Saturn and lived at the bottom of a well, truth being so difficult to find.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I remember first hearing the word during the Latin dialog between Johnny Ringo and Doc Holiday in Tombstone.
    -Lud

My favorite line was always In vino veritas.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    True dat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Interesting that a speaker company, Energy, has a Veritas line. Interesting in that they are a Canadian company also. Canada actually builds some of the best speakers in the world in part due to Canada's NRC (National Research Council) which has done ground-breaking psycho-acoustical research for years.

Veritas was the daughter of Saturn and lived at the bottom of a well, truth being so difficult to find.
    I'll second the Canadian speaker reputation. I've got a Paradigm Reference Active speaker setup (7.1), had it for about 16 years, never had an issue, sounds sweet every time I use it and the best bang for the buck I've found. Anthem (same company) makes some excellent hi-fi components as well

Does that mean, "In wine is truth?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post

Yes Rich, in wine is truth.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Seems like for us 'Mericans it's usually written "in wine there is truth". But I think Dave's translation is probably more accurate.