Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelf Support Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My dad, also a civil engineer, graduated in 1933 from MSU, quipped that when multiplying 2 x 2 on a slide rule some would get 3.99. In other words, not applying common sense to an issue. I can only presume the jesting answer of no beam strength was meant tongue-in-cheek. (Oops, I just noticed the "I assume that you assume").
    Tongue is firmly, and misunderstanding-ly in cheek.

Dan, sorry about the giant 'left turn' in your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    The brackets that are used on the side are available at the Borg. I am concerned that they will only provide support along the back of the board allowing for sag along the front. I had this issue in the front closet. The 10" deep shelf was supported along the side and back, but had a generous dip in the middle. I had to add a bracket in the middle to help prop it up.
    I wasn't suggesting those standards and clips on the back as the sole support. You certainly want to add the solid wood front edge too as has been discussed. Still no a bad idea to add a riser on the back of the shelf too (my first post in the thread). Makes for a rugged but clean looking wide span shelf system - after the fact. Before the fact, a middle partition would have been a better design.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I wasn't suggesting those standards and clips on the back as the sole support. You certainly want to add the solid wood front edge too as has been discussed. Still no a bad idea to add a riser on the back of the shelf too (my first post in the thread). Makes for a rugged but clean looking wide span shelf system - after the fact. Before the fact, a middle partition would have been a better design.
    That might work. I will have 2 standards on each side and on the back with clips and a beefy front edge along the front. The standards are only $3 and clips are 12 for about $2. I am going to rebuild these shelves this week and will share once it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Tongue is firmly, and misunderstanding-ly in cheek.

Dan, sorry about the giant 'left turn' in your thread.
    No worries! This place is great for getting the finest solutions to problems. In this case, I just needed the simplest solution.
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 01-28-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

A two short school days and two sick kids have put me behind by about a week. The shelves have been modified to the best of my ability and prepped for paint. They were as straight and flat as well cooked bacon. Hopefully, I will have them done by the end of the week. In the mean time, I have been thinking about lighting for this area. I am going to install a 4" recessed light with a gimbal fixture to wash selves with light. I am now trying to figure out the desk area. The alcove above the windows is 5" deep and 72" wide. The two options I can think of are a 3" recessed or a 2' light bar. Are there any other creative ideas?

The rabbit hole continues... I'll paint the room. But while I'm at it, new window & cabinet hardware, fix the heating, improve the shelving, improve the lighting, replace the floor...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.