Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tv on the out..

The whole giant every expandimg TV thing does seem crazy.

My now TV is like 46" or something like that. When iwas in BestBuy a couple months ago i noticed a 55" tv looks the same size as my 46". The sales person pointed out they have almost no frame now.

Instantly i wanted a 65" all the sudden. The fact is when is enough enough. If i lived alone and could jsut throw the dam tv in the trash i would. Regardless of my internal moral struggles i am a relentless,consumer. I should practice some restraint on this one and stick with a 40" something inch TV on principle.

QUOTE=Nicholas Lawrence;2651854]Price goes up a lot with size. I got a 32 inch Samsung smart Tv a couple of years ago, and I want to say it was only $300 or so. I know the larger sizes are very possible, but I honestly don't know why I would need anything larger.[/QUOTE]

Unlike the "tube" type TVs of the past, today's flat screen sets just plain look better at common watching distances even when they are larger...and the fact that prices have dropped like stones isn't a terrible thing. My first flat screen (an early Sony) was only 23" but had a list price of nearly four grand. (I only paid about half of that due to an AMEX promo). The 52" Sharp that replaced it for family use cost under two grand in 2008 and the Sony moved to the MBR. When the Sony died (literally), the Samsun 50" that replaced it was about a grand from Costco a few years ago. A similar setup today...is a few hundred bucks. If and when the Sharp dies...you can be assured that it will be something in the 65-70" range that replaces it! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe I'm just been lucky but can say I have had better luck with off branded electronics. One exception was a Toshiba projection TV I once had.
    I have an LG Plasma 50" right now and after two or three years I started getting lines from top to bottom. They come and go.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

Seperate from the TV topic and more inline with your quote at the bottom of your post.

Remeber when people had pride. Nevermind make things by hand. Jeeze thats a whole nother vortex of pride.

Recently another woodworker said something to me about pride that made me stop and think. People are not just lazy and misdirected these days they simply lack pride for anything. If they could alighn themself with a sense of pride for something maybe the rest of their beings would follow.

Well maybe not all but the masses sure make it look quite a bit that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Maybe I'm just been lucky but can say I have had better luck with off branded electronics. One exception was a Toshiba projection TV I once had.
    I have an LG Plasma 50" right now and after two or three years I started getting lines from top to bottom. They come and go.

As to bigger TV's- because our house is also our business, we paint engraving on the kitchen table, which is about 25' from the TV at the other end of the living room. At that distance, the 70" Sharp isn't too big at all..

And if you want flexible size for not a lot of bucks, projectors may surprise you... You just need somewhere to put or hang it, and a screen- The wife got me an Epson 720 projector for my birthday, and a 75" roll-up screen for it. Watched Star Wars in the back yard, almost like being at a Drive-in again! -- the picture is excellent at 75", and while I haven't done it yet (no screen or enough wall) it's supposed work well to 130"... I think the wife paid around $550 for it. They have a 1080 version for more $$ of course...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Being i live in a 15sq ft old Sears craftman bungalow kit home mynlargest room is maybe 18' x 12'. Add to it that my layout dictates i view my tv from no more 12' and to date forty something inches has seemed plenty big. Sure the wall my tv is on is 10' x 10' and i could fill the whole darn thing of i wanted to.

I think 55" will be my max. I really ksu dont like TV's. I do like football though so it is what it is..

Blog Entries
    Luckiest day of you life. I have been without TV service for going on 20 years. My productivity in meaningful (to me) areas has never been higher.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We have an LG, a Vizio, and a Panasonic. I don't see there is much difference. Look at Consumer Reports and they'll tell you the reliability of each brand if thats your primary criteria. But if I had to replace now, it would be based on the deal, not the brand. Sound quality makes a difference for some people. Element makes TVs in the U.S., if that matters to you. My son has a 4K TV and the picture quality is amazing, but there is little to no current programming to make use of it, so I'll wait to see if that comes along.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My son has a 4K TV and the picture quality is amazing, but there is little to no current programming to make use of it, so I'll wait to see if that comes along.
    If you have a good WiFi setup and a smart TV, virtually all 4K TV's are smart, there is 4k content on Amazon and Netflix for a minimal monthly charge. Probably not the content you want though, it is still pick and choose, much of it Netflix produced, mostly series. Even though the Superbowl will have a ton of 4k and even 8k cameras and editing this year, FOX broadcast will be 720p. 4k sets are in about 5% of homes, and some say the networks won't get serious about broadcasting 4k until that hits 35%, so everybody, go out and get your 4k set now!!! If you have Netflix, just search for "4K" to see what is available. A 4K set makes everything look better.
    NOW you tell me...

As much as i hate the cable companies. But i hate our lives going to the computers and electronics even more.

Point is i dont do NetFlixs or any of that other internet based stuff. Yeah i know it could save me money that i really do need to save but i cant be bothered. Im embracing becoming a old fart and turning a cheek the computers taking over our lives is one of the things i will go down with the ship with in my own toil of ignorant bliss..

If it was not for family i would live off the grid in the middle of the woods all by myself.

The most i do on the internet is troll around trying to learn how to put into practice stuff i can actually do with my own two hands.

I guess i will end up with a 4K smart tv if onoy because as the sales people told me any decent tv these days is 4K and smart. Ill just not use the smart function simple as that..

Out Christmas present to each other was replacing our 1992 vintage 36" tube TV (which was still working fine) with a 40" Sony which we really like. We also ditched the satellite subscription (four months of which the savings will pay for the tv) and went with over the air (OTA). Purchased a TIVO Roamio OTA dvr with lifetime subscription(i.e. no ongoing fees). And we are very happy. We do have netflix and hulu for stuff we can't get locally, but we are saving about $100 a month. One thing with the new broadcast TV is the secondary channels like PBS create which carries woodworking and crafts programming.

John

I don't watch all that much TV, either...I'm a reader. But when I do watch, I enjoy it a lot more these days with the larger screens. No surprise that a football game benefits from it, but it's nice for other programming, be it FoodNetwork or Colbert.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Colbert. I need to get him back in the rotation.

Blog Entries
    I just spent about an hour surfing YouTube 4k content, pulled my chair up to four feet from the screen so I got the same experience as at the cinema. Amazing. Took a tour of New York, then Norway, went kite surfing at a dozen places around the world, watched a drag race shootout of a dozen super cars on a runway in England, motorcycle stunts. Stuff is out there. Smart TV takes your computer totally out of the equation. It will be some time before regular content is out there though. And frankly, unless you get close enough to the screen to feel you are at the theater, there is no noticeable difference between good hi-def and 4K. Football is one thing that could really benefit from 4K with 28 little people running around on that big field.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Last year we bought a Vizio from Costco. It's been fine. We'd probably buy from Costco again, either a Samsung or a Vizio.